[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 956 KB, 634x821, Glanton.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7377180 No.7377180 [Reply] [Original]

>That night Glanton stared long into the embers of the fire. All about him his men were sleeping but much was changed. So many gone, defected or dead. He watched the fire and if he saw portents there it was much the same to him. He would live to look upon the western sea and he was equal to whatever might follow for he was complete at every hour. Whether his history should run concomitant with men and nations, whether it should cease. He'd long forsworn all weighting of consequence and allowing as he did that men's destinies are given yet he usurped to contain within him all that he would ever be in the world and all that the world would be to him and be his charter written in the urstone itself he claimed agency and said so and he'd drive the remorseless sun on to its final endarkenment as if he'd ordered it all ages since, before there were paths anywhere, before there were men or suns to go upon them.

What did he mean by this?

>> No.7377184

>>7377180
>So many gone, defected or dead.
Does this mean "gone, either due to defecting or being dead" or does it mean "men were gone, men defected, and men were dead"?

>> No.7377191

>>7377184
I always read it as the latter and never considered it could mean "either due to defecting or being dead." I think a harder pause would be needed to convey the former.

>> No.7377202

This board is for the discussion of literature, anons. If you're not going to bash one another's book choices and make fun of David Foster Wallace please leave.

>> No.7377207

>>7377180
Here's as much as I can gather:
>if he saw portents there it was much the same to him
>he was equal to whatever might follow
If Glanton had some omen or vision from this fire, he did not care. At this point, he is prepared to accept any outcome.
>for he was complete at every hour
I don't know.
>Whether his history should run concomitant with men and nations, whether it should cease.
Same as above, I think. Indifference to how his actions will shape the future of the nations or its people.

What does the sentence starting with "he'd long forsworn" mean?

>> No.7377213

>>7377180

>endarkenment

Good fucking lord, who wrote this?

>> No.7377238

>>7377184
pretty sure they mean the same thing, the only way you leave glanton's company is if you were dead or defected.