[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 54 KB, 324x500, 001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7306831 No.7306831 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /lit/!
I've just read pic related, thanks to one anon's rec. I love Russian litterature, and I've read most of Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Gogol and Tourgueniev (amongst the most famous Russian authors), so pic related sounded right up my alley. However, even though I enjoyed it, I wasn't especially blown away or really caught by it.
>Interesting description of physical decay and the inherent psychological and metaphysical pain that comes with it
>Good family drama (it shows it rather than telling it)
>Thought-provoking writing manner: phrases are short, wording is kept simple, as to mimic the simplicity of a naked, diseased and ready to die body

However:
>Book tends to be happy by simply describing, rather than going further than that => The main question of the plot, "what should Ivan have done differently?", is left to the reader to answer, even if some clues are given
>The theme is powerful but goes on too long and loses some of its originality by the end

What did you think, /lit/? Did you see something in this book I haven't? What were your impressions out of it, and did you tremendously enjoy it, or rather did you simply liked it?

>> No.7306885

el bumpo

>> No.7306897

i gave up when i had to remember about 12 characters from the off all with 3 names and all similar sounding. Major flaw in any book

>> No.7306950

>>7306897
I agree the beginning is kinda weird, what with 2 or 3 different Piotrs and Ivans... But it's a short book, you could have gone till the end. Especially when having dozens of Ivans in the same room is part of the Russian civilization

>> No.7307034

>>7306885
le pmub

>> No.7307040

>>7306831
whats are your fav books from russian lit senpai

>> No.7307049

I'm really into Russian lit too, but the only thing I've read of Tolstoy's is War and Peace. I've heard good things about Ivan Ilyich, but after reading your thoughts on it, I want to read it less.

Curious, what does OP think about Chekhov?

>> No.7307082

>>7307040
1. The Karamazov Brothers
2. War and Peace
3. Crime and Punishment
4. Anna Karenina
5. The Dead Souls

Special mentions to:
>First Love (Tourgueniev)
>The Gambler (Dostoyevsky)

War&Peace (which I read at 14) and The Karamazov Brothers (which I read at 22) literally changed my lifes. Amazing masterpieces, especially the Karamazov brothers

>>7307049
I think I've only seen one Chekov play (not sure, I think it was A Marriage Proposal...). From what I remember, I tremendously enjoyed the dry, bitter humor in it.

>> No.7307087

>>7306831
Do people like The Kreutzer Sonata? I didn't even know it was a Tolstoy novella until I'd already bought it and I plan on reading it sometime December (yes, I schedule my tbr).

>> No.7307089

>>7307082
>changed my life*
Yeah, I ain't no Time Lord, I got only one life, sorry to disappoint!

>> No.7307115

>>7307087
Wow, I've never scheduled my tbr... Guess we all have our little reading habits, to the point of making them small rituals, uh?

Haven't read The Kreutzer Sonata, but my sister, who haven't read any other Tolstoy book to my knowledge, really enjoyed it.

>> No.7308156

>>7307049
just read it. should only take a day or two. decide for yourself if you like it.

>> No.7309778

>Book tends to be happy by simply describing, rather than going further than that => The main question of the plot, "what should Ivan have done differently?", is left to the reader to answer, even if some clues are given

Ivan should have lived an authentic life, connected to his sense of morality and his feelings, rather than blindly follow the official standards set to him by society. It's pretty much the main point. Furthermore, and because Illyich was described as a talented individual rather than just a little man who is bound to follow what's told him, Tolstoy gave him quite a few "chances" to do things differently (and showed him fail).
Examples are his wife, which he takes a permanent distance from insted of offering her the compassion and mental support she needs during her first months as a mother (because her behavior is not quite "pleasent" or socially acceptable) - and his job, where he was met with the ugly corruption and was quick to fight for his spot back, rather than re-think his career and life-path.

>> No.7309785

>>7306831
>>7307087
I find that with most of Tolstoy's short stories the last 40% or so is fucking incredible, the rest is just ok.

>> No.7309800

>>7307087
I think it's a really interesting, in-depth look into Tolstoy's ethics at the peak of their development. Though much shorter, and different in style, I found it to be very simillar to Plato's republic in a way.
I loved it, basically.

>> No.7310468

Where to start with Gogol?

>> No.7310534

>>7307082

no Fathers and Sons? Probably the most important of all those works. And no 19th century books?

>> No.7312396

>>7310534
do you mean 20th century? and fathers and children as more important than those 5? really?

>> No.7312673

>>7310468
Start with his short stories: Nose, Viy, The Overcoat, The Portrait, Nevsky Prospect etc., and then read Dead Souls

>> No.7312847

>>7310468
>The Overcoat
>Inspector General
>Dead Souls

Then branch out from there if you want

>> No.7312868

>"Reading" a translation
Nice plebbing, bros

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEl59biItfY

>> No.7314129

Is Tolstoy the greatest Russian writer?