[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 774 KB, 1488x1080, f_411b2aa982.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7303533 No.7303533 [Reply] [Original]

so /lit/ how many of you suck at math? I never been good at math and somewhat advance in the humanities such as history and English. I'd say i'm at best mediocre in science. Most people say that you're either good at math and science or just English and writing. Do you feel this is true? I personally think its bullshit but what would i know considering I sit in math class wondering wtf is going on

>> No.7303541

bad at science but i really liked math. not to the extent that i could commit to it for the rest of my life, but my community college precalc/calc courses were a treat

>> No.7303567

>>7303533
I study math and philosophy in college.
Mediocre at both tbh.

I'd say that most people here would be able to learn modern mathematics if they had any well to do so. Most people gets discouraged because the idea they have of math is closer to the "engineering maths", which is basically harder high school math.
Once you're done with the 'messy math' (calculus, linear algebra) comes the good stuff (like topology or abstract algebra). I suggest you to read an introductory topology book (Simmons' Introduction to Topology and Modern Analysis is one of my favorites, otherwise, consider Munkres which is pretty much a standard textbook everywhere), even if you don't fully understand it, I think it will give you a better idea of what modern mathematics is than a calculus textbook.

>> No.7303570

>>7303567
>any well
any will*

Also, what I call "engineering math" is more boring than actual math.

>> No.7303594

Never applied myself to it enough. Always enjoyed literature and language more. I'm sure if I cared enough I could do fairly well at it.

However, to be fair, I do sometimes enjoy reading pop-math books from renowned professors like Steven Strogatz and Ian Stewart, since they tend to express complex mathematical concepts in clear and laconic terms, instead of drawling on and on with one hackneyed example after another (as high school textbooks have always been so fond of doing).

>> No.7303597

>>7303567
I'm taking a college statistics class and was actually kinda excited to learn it before I realized the professor wasn't going to teach us it but instead coding for this program called R thats used for stats. So yeah i'm not doing all that well

>> No.7303621

>>7303533
>Do you feel this is true?
Not in the least. It's an anti-intellectual attitude that justifies laziness. If you have any knowledge about the history of great thinkers you know that there has always been great overlap between math+natural sciences and philosophy+literature.

>> No.7303664

>>7303567
>Most people gets discouraged because the idea they have of math is closer to the "engineering maths", which is basically harder high school math.
I'm a STEMlord and I can confirm this. However this "engineering math" is way more easier than the stuff math or physics grads have to do.

>> No.7303696

>>7303533
I really suck at Enligsh, I can constantly make spelling mistakes and pretty bad at the other humanities.
Pretty decent at STEM related topics. Spend most of my time programing.
Ive really gotten in to litrature though, possible beacuse my real life relations feel superficial and i dont know how to fix that.

>> No.7303730

>developing overly focused mental faculties that can only apply to maths or humanities or whatever exclusively instead of an abstracter critical thinking of your own learning that allows success in any field you apply it to

>> No.7303733

I finished Calc II in high school, I just wasn't passionate about it.

>> No.7303761

I'm an English/math double major

>> No.7303794

>>7303664
But is more boring too.
When I think a mathematical proof I feel very much like when I think a philosophical arguments, the same goes to study mathematics and philosophy in general.
If someone finds philosophy entertaining, then should find mathematics entertaining as well. This doesn't happens with engineering maths that are less focused on theory and more in application of maths.

>> No.7303990

>>7303533
I like /lit/ but I study STEM.
How pathetic am I ?

>> No.7304115

>>7303533
I'm good enough at math that I tested out of calculus in high school.

But then, I'm fucking useless at writing fiction.

>> No.7304962

>>7303533

Mathematics is literally following instructions. You are mentally retarded.

>> No.7304967

I'm good at all arts and sciences.

>> No.7304982

I'm pretty amazing at math, but haven't touched the complex stuff much since my first year of college. English and Art sort of gradually overtook my love of math. Now science, man, I appreciate the value of it, and I maintained my As in those classes, but my brain just isn't good at retaining all the memorization involved.

>> No.7304990

math is a lot like ap ah af jksdal ;sf djkd;sa jkd;3oij iofsdjakl;ljk l;kjdsf klj;sdfa kjl;;sd ,mne iloijew lijk;df lkj;dsfa lkj;sxacdfklj

>> No.7304992

>>7303533
I am good at math but for most of my youth could not get myself to give a shit. They put me two years ahead in 6th grade and I continued that path til senior year when my not giving a shit caught up with me. Had to switch to stats.

I am very good at understanding science, applied math so to say. I was also usually the best in history. English was my weak point when I was young but after I started to read poetry I quickly got better at it and it is now my favorite.

>> No.7305012

If you are not a jackass of all trades then you shouldn't try to write non-fiction tbh.
I am a musician, videographer, animator and writer with an interest in both philosophy and modern science.

>> No.7305043
File: 41 KB, 720x400, Grisha.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

recently took a general assessment for UG students with 60+ credits, it covered reading comprehension, grammar, math story problems, linear math, pattern recognition, all sorts of shit. Was a bit worried about math, since I've taken 1 math class since junior year of HS, turned out I scored 486/500 overall.

I looked that up and found from their website that I am in the 99th percentile for everyone who takes that. Not saying muh hay eye-que or anything, but it feels good to know that I may be 'quite intelligent'

>> No.7305055

>>7304962
>Mathematics is literally following instructions
It looks like you're the mentally retarded 8