[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 29 KB, 375x305, Saitama_OK.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7293291 No.7293291 [Reply] [Original]

How can I improve my writing?
(Sentence structure, grammar, ex)

What are some things that you do or critique when you write?

>> No.7293298

>>7293291
Read Strunk & White's Elements of Style, read your work out loud, read the kind of work you want to write (you'll start to mimic it unconsciously), get plenty of sleep (but not too much) & drink lots of water.

>> No.7293300

Just read it, read it, say out loud, read it again. If it flows well on the tongue, and reads smoothly in your mind, then you've done a decent job. Sometimes I find people who focus too much on the technical aspects of writing end up coming across as more 'amateur' because you can see in the writing that they've focused more on how they're writing and not what they're writing about.

>> No.7293756

>>7293291
Just throw in big words whenever you can. A character is overconfident? Use the word hubris. Trying to describe someone as gentle? Use the word benign instead. It helps to write using microsoft word, that way you can just right click on all the words and replace them with complicated synonyms.

>> No.7293764

>>7293756

:^)

>> No.7294474

>>7293756
>tfw you're a pretentious dick in real life and it comes through in your writing

I have a similar problem op, I can't write dialogue that doesn't come off as wooden and forced when I read it back but have no idea how to improve it.

>> No.7294488

>>7293291
Similar question to OP

Do you guys into writing do pre-writing? Like in outline format?