[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 30 KB, 465x382, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7178899 No.7178899 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, what are you reading?
Is it any good?
What are you reading next?
>A Portrait Of The Artist As a Young Man
>it's very good, for style but not for plot
>Some good old Willie Shakespeare, probably some of his histories

>> No.7181357

>Fear and Trembling

>somehow transcendent, first bit of philosophy I grasped that feels like it means anything

>Maybe Faulkner or some history books, The Rest is Noise is something I have checked out but haven't gotten to yet

>> No.7181391

>Hey, what are you reading?
south of no north by bukowski
&
selected stories - kjell askildsen
>Is it any good?
bukowski: Yeah, he writes real tight. barely any complaints. yes his plots and characters are repetitive but technically he's a very good writer, i always enjoy his prose
askildsen: really surprised he isn't more popular. Reminds me of raymond carver a lot. probably one of my favourite story collections i've read in a year or so, wish more of his stories were translated to english. maybe i'll learn norwegian
>What are you reading next?
probably winesburg, ohio or trilobites by breece d'j pancake. I started and read about a quarter of both a few months back, might as well finish them off

>>7178899

Do you know much about shakespeare? I just got a free copy of anthony and cleopatra that my neighbours were throwing out, i've only read hamlet, merchant of venice, twelfth night and his sonnets before, wondering if cleopatra is worth reading.

What do you mean about portrait of the artist not being good for plot? i found in dubliners the plot and structure of the stories supported each other really well, never read his longer fiction though. if i liked dubliners would you suggest portrait?

>> No.7182683

>currently
Persian letters
>good?
Ya its p cool. I like the format and the ideas are pretty good, although many of them are better fleshed out in spirit of the laws. I probably should have read this first.
>next
Finally gonna read if on a winter's night a traveler

>> No.7182695

>Reading:
V, Thomas Pynchon
>Any good?
yeah i guess
>next?
probably Gravity's Rainbow because i bought that one at the same time as V and the crying of lot 49

>> No.7182715

Does no one here read a bunch of books at the same time? I'm reading:

A rulebook for arguments
Phenomenology of Spirit
Infinite Jest

>> No.7182724 [SPOILER] 
File: 73 KB, 875x387, 1443714656126.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Rousseau's Social Contract

>i want to kill myself

>Political Writings by Kant, at least he makes sense unlike Descartes

>> No.7182728

>History of the Peloponnesian War
Bretty good so far, just finished Pericles ' funeral oration and liked it. Don't mind his style at all, Thucydides seems a lot more focused than Herodotus, making the text a little easier to follow.

>Complete Works of Plato. Fuck yeah.
Anything in here I should skip? I don't mind taking the time to do all of him, but if there's some useless shit I shouldn't waste my time on I'd rather know.

>> No.7182732

>>7182728

Skip it all, it will serve you no good in life, and you'll forget most of it shortly after reading it because of your mediocre brain.

>> No.7182740

>>7182728
Ya skip gorgias, meno and laches

wtf no of course you don't skip anything

>> No.7182797

>>7182728

Read the most important things about Plato and jump to Aristotle Nicomachean, since you like Thucydides you will like Aristotle.

Then you can jump to Nietzsche which I believe you will like also if you like Thucydides

I liked Plato dialogues because they were dialogues tbh

>> No.7182810

Just finished Bend Sinister by Vladimir Nabokov. It was decent on its own, but probably the worst of his that I've read.

>A History of Russia by Riasanovsky
The main text for my Russian civilization course. Nice, clear prose for a subject that's interested me for a while. I could really use a French equivalent of this.

>Hadji Murat by Tolstoy
Another text for the course. I'm about halfway through. Digging it so far.

After that I'm reading What is to be done? by Chernyshevsky, then maybe Home of the Gentry by Turgenev.

>> No.7182838

I'm finishing David Crystal's The Stories of English, a history of the English language with special emphasis on regional varieties. Its interesting, but the author's interests shine through in a very blatant way: he devotes more pages to the only clear instance of dialectal speech in Chaucer's stories than to all dialectal developments in the non-British Anglophone world. Something went amiss there.

I'm going to start Gravity's Rainbow after that because I've seen the bookclub and I probably wouldn't have the drive to read it on my own.

>> No.7182935

Lucien Rebatet, The Two Standards

It's good but I lost all energy and there is a thousands pages left.

The Birth of Tragedy will come next if I don't pause Rebatet to finish it during the next holidays.