[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 105 KB, 640x421, guesswho.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7161652 No.7161652 [Reply] [Original]

I'm looking for the name of something, I think it's related to 'literary form', although I'm not sure a word for it actually exists. I'm taking my example from chapter 3 of Joyce's Ulysses.

When Joyce takes the idea of Proteus and changes it into imitation and illusion of sight, it still keeps the structure of the Odyssey but transforms it so only the core idea of the Protean remains, but he is using as a form to structure his novel. It sounds like some kind of symbolism, but I'm really hoping there is a better word for it. Whatever it is, I fucking love it. Does anyone do it better than Joyce?

>> No.7161670

>>7161652
Structural allusion
You will love umberto eco

>> No.7162957

>>7161670
That sounds like a good word for it. I've been thinking more about it and how in Joyce's use of it he completely strips down the source and then keeping only that essence applies great creativity in creating a whole new representation of it, whereas a lot of other writers simply take the source and place it without real change. It just has so much depth.

>> No.7162967

>>7161652
Intertexuality?

>> No.7163017

>>7162967
>Intertextuality is the shaping of a text's meaning by another text. Intertextual figures include: allusion, quotation, calque, plagiarism, translation, pastiche and parody

Wow that is definitely the 'genus' of what I'm looking for, but it's a more specific species of it.