[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 336 KB, 1200x877, 1441923400185.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7160069 No.7160069 [Reply] [Original]

Imagine that someone commits a terrible sin. Genuinely feeling an immense remorse, the person tries to find Jesus and to redeem its sin by acting as a good christian. Despite all the effort, its remorse is so immense that the person commits suicide.

My question is: according to Christianity, does this person deserve the salvation? If the person only tried to compensate the sin the answer probably would be "yes", but how the suicide affects its morality in the eyes of God?

>> No.7160089

Trying to apply this question to Christianity broadly is a mistake.

There are as many doctrinal differences regarding salvation as there are distinct church movements.

>> No.7160107

>>7160069
No one "deserves" salvation.

Catechism of the Catholic Church on suicide.

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

>> No.7160156

>>7160089
Fair point, but we could bring up different interpretations, I guess.

>>7160107
Thanks for the post. Also, I'd like to be a little more clear about my question: I see a problem here due to the fact that remorse is the way to the sinner find Jesus, but in this case remorse also was the way to the sinner commit another sin (suicide), so it seems contradictory.

I'm not trying to point "flaws" on Christianity, that's a sincere doubt.

>> No.7160173

Who fucking cares Christianity is a dying meme anyway

>> No.7160258

>>7160069
Two things wrong with this. First of all if the person sought salvation and redemption in Christ then they should be at least satisfied that it has been given. If they aren't then either it hasn't been or their faith isn't strong enough, which could be seen to be the same thing. Secondly, if someone commits suicide or does any wrong doing and believes in Christ, it is not an automatic fail. Only the Son of God knows who will get through and who will fail, it really isn't up to us to speculate or to choose either way.

>>7160173
Who cares? I don't know, Christians maybe? Certainly not racist Jewish cucks like yourself.

>> No.7160276

As the other anon said, no one deserves salvation. "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" - Rom 3:23. Sinners only deserve Hell, "for the wages of sin is death..." - Rom 6:23.
From my interpretation of Christianity, I don't believe anyone can "redeem their sin by acting as a good Christian". I believe the only way to have your sins forgiven is to have faith in Christ and to obey his commands (Rom 10:9,10). Someone who begins a personal relationship with Christ will know that his sins are forgiven and therefore will find joy in Jesus. The person in your question obviously does not have faith that their sin was forgiven and since he is trying to be good to find forgiveness, it seems to me that he is not trusting Christ but is relying on himself. My answer to your question is no because I doubt that your person has even found true salvation in Christ and therefore has died and gone to hell.

>> No.7160307

>>7160276
Essentially this.

Only when you have died to this world of sin (death) and are reborn in the light of Christ i.e. had a spiritual awakening in which the living God of the Holy Spirit (an ultra-dimensional shapeshifting entity) descends upon you and permeates you, only then can you say that you are without sin, as you are no longer alive or even human.

>> No.7160326

>>7160069
What the fuck are you talking about dude
He goes to heaven if he believes in the Jees

>> No.7160341

>>7160326
No one goes to Heaven for just believing in Christ. The demons believe in Jesus (James 2:19). Satan knows Jesus is real and knows he died on the cross.
Someone only goes to Heaven once they have faith that Christ died for their sins. The person in question does not have this faith

>> No.7160343

>>7160341
Then he doesn't go to heaven if he doesn't have faith, I don't know why OP would ask this question

>> No.7160384

>>7160258
Being brought to Christ is good, but suicide is still immoral because like other sins it's a rejection of God. The circumstances surrounding it can make one less culpable. Do people who are killing themselves really know what they're doing? Does anyone who rejects God really know what they're doing? It isn't for us to say who is in hell, and so the church prays for the departed.

>>7160276
No one should presume that they are saved. Fear and trembling and all that. That post seems to me like "once saved always saved" sort of theology that isn't supportable.

>> No.7160478

>>7160384
>"no one should presume that they are saved"
John 3:16 - Romans 5:1 - Ephessians 1:13,14
These are a few verses from God's Word that tell us that our salvation is eternally secure. I'm not sure why you would say this is not a supported belief.

>> No.7161608

>>7160156
Wouldnt say its contradictory just shows how the same substance can sometimes bring different ends. Sometimes the dark essence brings you so far down, into so much and and frustration, that you all of a sudden stop and notice what's happening and see the salvation in the distant light. But possibly just as likely the anger and remorse can push you over the edge into utter darkness so that you meet with death in form of some (self)murder or something.

>> No.7161610

>>7161608
Sorry for weird vocabulary im just too retarded to come up with better sounding words