[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 808 KB, 1800x2700, grabbing attention.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7148189 No.7148189 [Reply] [Original]

The Silence of the Sirens, Kafka
The House of Asterion, Borges
Paradise Lost, Milton
Grendel, Gardner

What else? Bonus if it's not just "from the perspective of the villain".

>inb4 "from the perspective of that one female character"
if you must

>> No.7148203

>>7148189
>Ulysses

>> No.7148224
File: 1.03 MB, 1520x2688, IMAG0346.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Andreyev book Judas Iscariot in pic related.

>> No.7148226

Gravity's Rainbow heavily revised the notion, generally accepted at the time, but now recognized as pure mythology, that a man cannot go straight down the freaking toilet.

>> No.7148791

The White Goddess by Robert Graves.

It's half responsible for all those terribly incorrect notions that feminists hold about prehistory having a matriarchal structure.

>> No.7148955

East of Eden
>yfw Lee is God

it's a film but Begotten is a fairly interesting piece of media in this genre.

>> No.7148978

>>7148955
oh SHIT nigga

>> No.7149104

Borges did another short story revision of the volsungs, it is from the perspective of fafnir though

>> No.7149519

>>7148791
I never hear anyone who actually believes that we had a worldwide matriarchal civilization. *Perhaps* a couple and for short periods, but most people believe it was far more likely just a better balance for that relatively short agrarian period, between our migratory ancestors and the bronze age

>> No.7149661
File: 142 KB, 684x1024, Le Guin - Lavinia.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7148189
>if you must
And why mustn't I? (Pictured)

Ovid re-imagined Greek mythology, Greek probably did the same to get that crazy mishmash of a pantheon.
There's a couple of tales about Telemachus. The Telegony, one Adventures of Telemachus by Fénelon and another by Aragon... I'm sorry, are sequel additions allowed? It brings characters back.

There's Atwood's Penelopiad, but I'll say it again, I really enjoyed The Lost Books of the Odyssey, by Zachery Mason.

>> No.7149842

The Wide Sargasso Sea is maybe the most famous of these but it seems like exactly the type of thing you're mad at in your inb4

>> No.7149909

In Herodotus' Histories, in his visit to Egypt he hears a story from a local priest that Helen never went to Troy. In the story, Paris and Helen's ship wrecked off the coast of Egypt and a local king, Proteus (he's apparently not a god, but a king in this version) confiscated her for her own protection. Paris continues on to Troy and when Greeks arrive at the city to take Helen back, the Trojans tell them truthfully that Helen is not there. The Greeks refuse to believe this, and it isn't until the war is over that they realize their mistake.
Herodotus just assumes every religious and mythic tradition in Egypt is right on account of how much more ancient they are compared to Greece, so he takes this folk tale as the absolute truth.
And it sort of makes since because Priam really has no reason to endure 9 years of war just so his youngest son can fuck some other man's wife.

>> No.7150559

>>7149909
Oh yes, and also his point about Heracles having instead been an ancient Egyptian god, before being adopted as a hero by the Greeks, and this well before what must have been his accession to the Greek pantheon later on in their history. Somewhat confusing. (in this case he also argues the egyptian origin by Poseidon necessarily being a later addition, though I'm not convinced that's the only possible reason why the Egyptians wouldn't have recognised a seagod)

>>7149842
No mad, but I don't expect those takes to much differ in how they relate to the myths, even less so than the villain ones.