[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 12 KB, 200x316, valis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7144126 No.7144126 [Reply] [Original]

Would it help to drop acid before reading this?

>> No.7144185

no lol u won't be able to focus. text will be melting and mixing. read the book, think about it then drop acid and go to a beautiful place and take the book there and think about it while listening to Funkadelic

>> No.7144192

>>7144126
>Would it help to drop acid before reading
No

>> No.7144202

>>7144185
>>7144192
I didn't mean I'd read it while tripping, I was just wondering if having an experience with acid first would help.

>> No.7144210

>>7144202
Oh. I don't know man i haven't read the book. I'd say yes though. Acid definitely helped me come to a lot of self realizations somehow

>> No.7144516

>>7144202
Do whatever you enjoy, and if it happens to be reading shitty novels then go ahead. But seriously, what do you mean by 'help'? His ideas aren't that 'woah, duuude!' and are just exposed to you over a mediocre-plot-plate. I used to be really into psychedelics and what not but didn't really enjoy this book, maybe because it was a translation and it read really cheesy to me.

>> No.7144725

>>7144516
Are you sure you're not thinking of Gravity's Rainbow?

>> No.7144738

Drug (ab)use and shifts in perception are key themes to PKD's novels. It's hard to form an attachment to some of these themes if you haven't experienced a strong skew in your own perception, but it's not indigestible at the slightest. PKD is very straight forward and engaging with or without knowledge. Much of the drug use he writes about is fictional and largely imperceivable to begin with, like in Ubik, Flow My Tears, and Now Wait for Last Year.

I wouldn't exactly tell you to start eating drugs, but if you're interested in a better understanding of what was going through his head when he wrote those books, it might benefit you to read The Doors of Perception by Huxley. I feel that book gives the best description of the psychedelic experience to the uninformed.

>>7144516
You clearly know English, so what could possibly compel you to pick up a translation of this book? It probably did muddle the experience; part of PKD's appeal is his well-flowing dialogue and while I wouldn't say his prose is super artistic in any sense, it does have it's own merit.

Don't tell people it's shit when you fucked up your own experience.

>> No.7144795

>>7144738
Have you considered that not all the poeple living in this planet resides in an english speaking country? My english is just good enough to shitpost. I find difficult to read a book in english at the moment since I get the feeling that nothings stucks in my head.

>> No.7145944
File: 183 KB, 1111x719, 1365289093821.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7144795
I'm an ethnocentric and uncultured American.

So no.

Go shitpost on Swedish 4chan then or wherever you nasty ass blonde and blue eyed, Mongolian tapestry website stealing, 5 hour work day living, welfare promoting, good for nothing snow monkey pieces of shit go and litter the digital netscape.