[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 23 KB, 500x375, bonfire.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7142943 No.7142943 [Reply] [Original]

I had no luck in /pol/ so...

Can /lit/ recommend any books, documentaries and literature pertaining to the Iraq war, the Arab spring and IS?

Preferably from independent sources?
I would like to research this area and better understand the series of events that led to the current situation in the middle east.

The one I recently got from the bookshop is "ISIS The State of Terror" by Jessica Stern and J.M Berger, just for a bit of insight.

Thanks in advance.

>> No.7142950

>>7142943
robert fisk the great war for civilisation

>> No.7142951

>documentaries
i wanna watch these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Greenwald#Feature-length_documentaries

>> No.7142955

the jews control the media

>> No.7142956

>>7142943
Adam Curtis, Bitter Lkae

>> No.7142959

Bitter Lake by Adam Curtis is pretty good, it's about the war in Afghanistan.
His other documentaries are highly recommended

>> No.7142960

>>7142950
This one is okay if you keep into account Fisk's biases. He's known for giving excessive sympathy toward certain viewpoints, like that one article he wrote praising Bin Laden. Still, his knowledge of the Middle East is very in-depth and he has more to say than 'muh Sykes-Picot' or 'muh islam'.

>> No.7142976

UN reports, NGO reports

>> No.7143188

>>7142943
In order:
Cleveland - A history of the Modern Middle East (in its entirety in the following link)
http://islamicblessings.com/upload/A-History-of-the-Modern-Middle-East.pdf

Rashid Khalidi - Arab Nationalism, or ''Resurrecting Empire'' (very basic intro, and near vituperative towards the American public, although rightfully so, if you cba to read Cleveland, read this, if you've read Cleveland, this will probably annoy you)

ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror - Weiss & Hassan
Good history of the leading members of Da'esh and some Iraqi/Syrian history. One of the authors is Syrian, and it's anti Assad, but it's questionable whether that's really a bias, or just common sense.

The news is actually useful as well.