[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 109 KB, 360x340, 2cf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7142858 No.7142858 [Reply] [Original]

Is social media making us more gullible and naive in this day and age? Is reading a means of maintaining rational, intellectual fortitude?

>> No.7142860

>>7142858
somewhat

>> No.7142872

>>7142858
I think social media just appeals to the gullible and the naive. Few people with any kind of rational intellectual fortitude partake strongly in social media, or at least in any kind of deeply involved way. Reading will generally introduce you to less superficial ideas(depending on the kind of books you read, ofcourse), which probably helps in being less of a gullible fool and give you a more developed view of the world.

>> No.7142883

>>7142858
Before this descends into a nerd circle jerk.
Literature's gains are internally found, perspective, comparisons, empathy, sympathy, just strong general knowledge and insight.

because this can be measured with conversation or a sharp eye or eye it doesn't mean people using social media, to showcase a physically constructed project like the lads over on /o/ or /diy/ or /hr/ do, or a physical place/experience like /out/ or /trv/ do, are any less intelligent, knowledgable or equipped for this world than the most well read person.

Blaming social media is like saying global warming is happening so we should ban roads, when in fact we should simply just be publicly mocking vapid as fuck arseholes

>> No.7142884

I'd argue that learning statistics is the better way to go.

Being able to validate claims, being able to judge numbers, judge hypotheses etc. is a superpower nowadays.

>> No.7142903

>>7142872
I like how you gave yourself an out for your fb...