[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 247 KB, 413x288, 1427844808179.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7130090 No.7130090 [Reply] [Original]

Does fiction seep into your life, /lit/?

Personally when reading anything dense or powerful, it seems like the book asserts itself as a sort of lens through which I'm living.

I can remember back to the time during and after reading each of DFW's 3 novels, and feeling a similar indescribable sort of aura around everything It felt like the mid 80 or 90s again somehow, like that was taken from the text and externalized. But that doesn't really come close to explaining. It's all a very abstract feeling.

>> No.7130234 [DELETED] 

You must've been able to really spot how the novel out of sadden caltures reality better than reality itself did.

I had it happen too.

DFW is good at it though(that was his Point really), kudos to him

>> No.7130240

You must've been able to really spot how the novel all of a sudden captures reality better than reality itself did.

I had it happen too.

DFW is good at it though(that was his point really), kudos to him

>> No.7130344

>read Burroughs's oeuvre
>waking life is a cut-up and everybody is a hostile entity
>read PKD
>wow really should not have followed Burroughs w/ this
>don't even want to leave house most of the time
>read DFW
>awwww yeah
>love everybody and be extra super nice/understanding
>read Remains of the Day
>I am a butler

as I've grown, this happens less, or at least the effects aren't as drastic. reading GR now, and like DFW, it's a really good asshole antidote. as Plato said, be kind, because we're all just a bunch of dumbasses subject to innumerable cosmic forces that even the brightest of us don't really understand.

>> No.7130434

>>7130090

I feel like reading Wodehouse honestly sharpened my wit a little. The other day at work some service guy was fixing a machine and ranting about how we must have fucked it up since they "never break ever." And I replied, "The fact that your job exists speaks to the contrary." Got some laughs.

>> No.7130522

>>7130090
Pynchon gets me noided usually in an occult kind of way. Read Gravity's Rainbow and the Qur'an at the same time and started really reading into simple/natural things.

>> No.7130781

>>7130090
Absolutely. Hemingway does this for me. I could have been in a light cafe drinking grappa then drinking again somehow and again I swear it. Though, Reading about love anywhere puts me even further away from it in reality. Once I put down the book I am very distant from any love in it even if I am in the place in my mind, in Spain or Italy, and even if I loved the characters.

Maybe if you are hot stuff and you have a beautiful wife you love then you can sustain the fiction like that afterwards, but I don't know.

>> No.7130818
File: 29 KB, 300x450, old-man-celebrating-laptop-16618166.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7130434