[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 90 KB, 500x601, mishima.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7115945 No.7115945 [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts? His flamboyant death and general melodrama often overshadow how talented he was. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion, Patriotism, The Sound of Waves, Runaway Horses...etc.

>> No.7115957

>>7115945
>flamboyant
Yeah he was homosexual manlet, what did you expect?

>> No.7115958

I've only read Temple of the Golden Pavilion.

Mishima had some seriously weird sexual repressions.

>> No.7115972

http://pastebin.com/Zkc29Lcq

>> No.7116014

>>7115945
I love my dead gay fascist!

>> No.7116038

>>7115972
Seriously interesting essay, that. It definitely shows the thorns behind the beauty in Mishima's work. With some of Mishima's oeuvre it's difficult to appreciate the execution of its style because the ideology's always seeping in like rot. Although I think some of Mishima's other works better show this trait than Temple. Runaway Horses has >>7115957 a sort of masturbatory fantasy character in the ultranationalist young Isao (who is unsubtly sexualised at various points throughout the text)

>> No.7116064

btw The Sound of Waves is arguably Mishima's best novel and features no obvious violent homoerotic fascism, just a pretty romance with lovely prose and a beautifully described location

>> No.7116225

I didn't finish Temple of the Golden Pavilion. I think it's a beautiful novel and it is "laden."

>> No.7116242

>>7115972
Why would you copy an amazon review? http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3EIVQJ3DY4AS5/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0679752706

>> No.7116374

Ultimately I feel like his so-called politics were really just his invented justification for being able to die according to his aesthetic. If you read his works and the three major biographies of him you begin to see that he constantly fluctuated in his political opinions and often didn't even seem to care about them outside of their aesthetic.

As far as his work goes, I hold him to be one of the greatest novelists of the age. Forbidden Colours, The Sea of Fertility, Confessions of a Mask, After the Banquet...these are tremendous. I'm personally not a fan of Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea.

>> No.7116405

>>7116064

You know why? Because that story started with the greeks.

>> No.7116539

>>7116242
Because it's a good review of the book and assessment of Mishima as a whole.

>> No.7116557

>>7116064
Go to sleep, you plebeian house wife.

>> No.7117719

>>7116405
I love you too Hephaestion

>> No.7118882

>>7115945
all of the books except for sound of waves were too philosophically retarded and had self indulgent whiny protagonists that are hard to like.

sound of waves was just chill with a dude who had the straight-shooter kind of heroic personality minus the angsty philosophy that is idealized beyond reasonableness. oh oh muh violence and muh beauty mixups. oh noes the world isn't living up to my fairy tale fantasies of my youth and i can't accept it. muh samurai honor and hero worship. give me fucking break. I roll my eyes at all of it.

>> No.7118901

>His flamboyant death and general melodrama often overshadow how talented he was.

Jesus christ, Fascism will even get white people to tell the truth about QPoCs.

>> No.7118919

>>7116374
Well he's an idol of third positionists and occulty politics, it makes sense

>> No.7118945

>>7118901
Not to say the theatre of his death is not a large part of his image but he was already globally famous when he brought his life to his own logical end

>Perfect purity is ossible if you turn your life into a life of poetry written witha splash of blood

>> No.7118982

>>7115945

quite overrrated, try the film "Yûkoku" (1966) ,an interesting approximation to expressionism.

>> No.7119095

>>7115972
Interesting for sure but so Amero-centric it's cringeworthy

>Mishima's suicide, after a kookie coup attempt, was also related to his disappointment at his own country where he saw the postwar inundation of American ideals - freedom and democracy

>> No.7119122

>>7118882
This tbh fam

>> No.7119189

>>7115945
/fit/izen here, only read his Sun and Steel

what's next

>> No.7119234

>>7115972
Just to note, the guy who wrote this is an American educated academic who seems to have a strange vendetta with the Japanese nation.

His book is called "From the Bottom: Anti-Japanese Verses"
>Taneo Ishikawa, Ph.D. (2000) in humanities, Florida State University, fights with a ghostly development of Japanese humanities. He calls for the de-Japanification of much re-Japanized Japanese studies, in particular, in culture and history, including religion and archeology. The author insists that Japan's legacy of heliocentric self-identification is a culture of farmer-fighters, with a settler's history from peninsular to insular, unfolding on the unsustainable logic of self-sacrifice and self-aggrandizement. The major three malefactors were Buddha, Samurai, and Emperor, who together played on the legacy of stealing, cheating, and lying. This past history, the author believes, should be denounced by all means and with much rancor. He lives in Osaka, Japan. Publisher's website: http://sbpra.com/TaneoIshikawa
http://www.wantitall.co.za/Books/From-the-Bottom-Anti-Japanese-Verses__1622124472

>> No.7119249

>>7119234
>hating japan when it comes to art
jesus fucking christ how is that even possible

>> No.7119263

>>7119249
Modernity, Neo-liberalism, Globalisation. Pick your poison.

>> No.7119272

>>7119189
>/fit/izen here
kill yourself

>>7119249
>being a weaboo
you too

>> No.7119395

I just finished Confessions of a Mask. How autobiographical is it supposed to be?

>> No.7119518

>>7119272
so what you think Japanese art is all anime and video games?

>> No.7119967

>>7119272
/fit is /lit. There's nothing patrician about having a rude bod.

>> No.7120192

I just finished a biography of Mishima by one of his translators, not winning the Nobel definitely had a lot to do with his suicide.

Mishima claims that Kyoko's house was one of his finest novels, but it has never been translated to english.

>>7119395
I haven't read masks but from what I've read it's supposed to be pretty autobiographical, or at least how he wants the world to see him.Somewhere during the writing process Mishima realized that he was homosexual.

>> No.7121191

>>7120192
>Mishima claims that Kyoko's house was one of his finest novels, but it has never been translated to english.
There's an alleged quotation of Mishima about it in a short text on him in Cinema, Censorship, and the State by Nagisa Oshima.

>I am ashamed to say it, but I very much wanted everyone to understand Kyoko's House. When I am about to throw the baby into the river Imagawa, I stand on the bridge to see if anyone will stop me. But no one comes. In despair, I throw the baby in the river, and that is the end. Of me, too. It is done. I have not yet been arrested. So this time I'm doing all kinds of things in an effort to be arrested. But there was nothing as cold as the literary world at that time. In spite of the fact that I was throwing away a baby, no one looked back. This may sound like idle complaining, but those were my deepest feelings. After that I probably lost my mind.

>> No.7122043

all I've read was Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea and it was alright. not great, but alright.

the characters were all tedious people.