[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 152 KB, 299x506, Three_Gardens_of_the_Moon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
711405 No.711405 [Reply] [Original]

What is your opinion of the malazan book of the fallen series?

>> No.711409

Mildly interesting but mostly just long winded and dull. He has some interesting ideas but he's far too busy trying to create an air of mystery and suspense, that fails most of the time, to actually implement them properly.

>> No.711418
File: 93 KB, 1024x801, dancer_by_spin_drift.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>711409
LIES

It's awesome.

>> No.711424

Too sprawled but not without its merits.

It managed when it was just a few conflicts Erikson juggled with, but the fifth book introduced a whole new one! It wasn't even particularly interesting. I lost steam at that point. I've been meaning to pick it up again but damn if the books aren't huge bricks.

>> No.711434

Satisfyingly complex plot and it actually has enough characters to keep me interested. Horrifyingly brutal at times which cheers the misanthrope within me to no end. And for the frosting on the cake, the rare humorous parts are really goddamn hilarious.

I'm on book 8 now.

also, WITNESS

>> No.711446

Tons of God Tier characters:
Karsa Orlong
Quick Ben
Kalam
Kruppe
Whiskeyjack (who's name alone is enough to earn him a place on here)
Anomander Rake
Tehol & Bugg
all of Mott's Irregulars

>> No.711471

>>711424
Here again. Just as an aside, I think GotM gets far too much flak. In my mind it's one of the better books of the series. Actually, to put the five I've read in order:

MoI > GotM > (very slightly) DG > MT > HoC