[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 26 KB, 316x480, john dies at the end.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7108564 No.7108564 [Reply] [Original]

>ITT:Post what you just finished reading and discuss

Just finished pic related, and going to move onto the second book next. I'm actually about a chapter into the next one, but wanted to discuss my thoughts on this one and see what you guys thought of it.

I found myself lauhging a lot near the beggining of the book, much like the movie, but, and I don't know when it started exactly (maybe halfway through?), I started laughing less and feeling more and more sad for Dave and what he had to go through. The book slowly took me into the world and made me really feel how much everything sucks for David. I found myself calling him a bit of an ass at times, until he confessed the bullying and why he was sent to that school, and then everything made so much more sense.

I also really appreciated how the author did that little confession. Lots of times I've read characters with little quirks that make them sad or mysterious, and though the author will wait till the end to reveal the sad past, you already feel like you know something is coming-like something bad had to have happened to this character for him to act that way. But with David, I honestly never stopped to consider why he had such a nasty view on situations at time. So when he revealed what happened to him, it was both a shock and delightfully enticing read.

So ya, loved the book, loved the movie, working on the second book now.

>> No.7108574
File: 104 KB, 500x500, 4fdee1f1fa544ceda828d151c3ad85df.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7108564
>tripfag
>reading cracked: the book

why i am surprised.

>> No.7108586

>>7108574
I think the better question is, why are you bitching? If you don't want to talk about books, then fuck off to a different thread.

Buncha stuck up faggots on here, I swear.

>> No.7108594

>>7108586
because this board is called LITERATURE, not fucking /mu/ o r/books.
now scram, bitch.

>> No.7108598

>>7108594
Oh don't give me that shit, you guy anons shitpost so much on this board. If you hate my thread so damn much, report it and move on.

>> No.7108900

>>7108564
I found the start very promising with the intro being really funny, but some passage wasn't written so good and about halfway through it, it became a bit tiring. The style wasn't so good and some pages are just a tad too slow.

Liked it but not so much, it needed like 100-150 less pages.

>> No.7109095

>>7108900
Maybe I'm too used to reading really boring, slow books then, cause it had a bit of the opposite effect on me. At certain points, it would skip on to the next scene the moment I started to feel the urge to skip a paragraph or two.

I'm also trying, and mostly failing, to read A Briefing For a Descent Into Hell at the moment. It's...interesting, but also just damn hard to pay attention to/understand it at times. Which is understandable for what it is.

>> No.7109120

I enjoyed it and I like the sequel too. No, it's not fine literature, but it's a funny, bizarre and occasionally surprisingly creepy read. It's one of the more interesting and offbeat horror novels in recent years.

>> No.7109127

Confederacy of Dunces

huh pretty good, pretty fun
love me my despicable fat social justice warrior

>> No.7109134

>>7108564
I found the book to be fairly amusing. The movie was godawful though, plot holes abound.

>> No.7109181
File: 83 KB, 467x700, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7108564
Finally someone else read it...

Best horror book I've read. I think it's so good because he wrote it over a very long time and publicly. There is definitely a sadness that creeps in towards the end between David and Amy. There are a lot of really beautiful and hilarious parts to the book and it sucks that it's associated w/Cracked. I have never laughed so hard reading. He's funnier than Pinecone and DFW (who both make me laugh).

Best parts:
The painting in the trailer
the Jamaican guy
Amy getting switched out w/a mannequin for a split second
The neural-network meat computer timeline

Beware This Book is Full of Spiders: it blows. Nowhere near as much time went into it, it's nit funny, it has a decent end, but it's like he took a novel writing class and it shows. John Dies At the End is amazing because it ignores regular structure and pacing.

>> No.7110562

>>7108564
I'm going to reread this since it's been a few years, but I remember JDaTE as one of my favorites. I watched the movie first and thought it was alright, then realized it was shit after reading the book. David Wong is one of the more clever writers on Cracked, sucks that he's lumped in with SJW trash.

TBiFoS was a pleasant read as well, but I thought the horror was less bizarre/original, and didn't have as good of humor. The ending wasn't quite as good either. Again, it's been a couple years.

>> No.7111067

>>7109095
Same guy, I can understand. I love slow books myself, but a slow rhythm doesn't mean the book doesn't work by default.

The problem is maybe that I was expecting something who tries to be more entertaining than 'deep', but the second half the 'deep' parts were too many and not so well written.

Maybe it's me, I was expecting something more witty and bizarre.

>> No.7111075

>>7110562
>>7109181
Huh...interesting about the second book. I think I'll read it for completions sake then.

Get what you mean about pacing though, I always found it refreshing when authors differed from the norm and did it right. It shows when they had fun with it, compared to how some of them you can tell near the end they just wanted the editing process to be over.

I always hated that there were strict writing rules in English during my scool years. If you're writing fiction, it shouln't matter how its written, as long as you can understand and enjoy it.

>> No.7111100

>>7111067
I can get that. Maybe its got something to do with how the tone of it just sort of takes on this heavy sadness overall. Like I said before, I didn't notice when, but at some point I stopped laughing and just felt sad for the character. I think the events he was going through sort of came across through the text, as he became more tired and more depressed about how his life was going.