[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 4 KB, 196x258, Joseph.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7080406 No.7080406 [Reply] [Original]

I would like to have the opinion of /lit/ about this author.

He seems to have an interesting point of view of the revolution and I would like to buy his complete Lit.

Have you a preferred translation that I should take ?

>> No.7080431

>>7080406
Read Poe and Baudelaire, his talented fanboys.
Don't read people on /pol, his untalented fanboy.

Learning French would be a good idea.

>> No.7080459

>>7080431
So, he is not good as he is thought to be ?

>> No.7080636

>>7080459
He is definitely one of the top French authors (although he's not French technically). Also very patrician, and a major influence for Baudelaire, Cioran, etc.

J. de Maistre is one of the few authors that can change radically your worldview, IMO.

He became underrated through the 20th century because he was not exactly commie-compatible, but no one ever denied his eminent qualities as a writer.

Les Soirées de Saint-Pétersbourg are his major text (by far) and should be read before anything else.

>preferred translation
Don't know, I'm French.

>> No.7080748

>>7080406

"Considerations on France" really was a game changer for me. De Maistre is very critical of brash political innovation, and despite the mythology of him being some monster out of anti-Catholic inquisition piece he was always very focused on curtailing the real barbarism and violence that results from the revolutionary impulse. While not all of his arguments are convincing, he is quite clever, and is extremely focused on the limits of what man is and can be in a way that is refreshing to those who live in a society heavily indoctrinated with progressive ideology. He also had one of the strongest understandings of sovereignty that there ever was. His works are incredibly clear and powerful. I can't recommend him enough.

>> No.7082368
File: 430 KB, 800x500, 1425296059072.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>reading de Maistre for anything else than the prose