[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 29 KB, 479x335, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7071484 No.7071484 [Reply] [Original]

I want to know more about contemporary Russian literature

>> No.7071525

>/lit/ will never move beyond talking about the same cliches and top 50 litcore books

>> No.7071526

>>7071525
Things changes slowly. There used to be a time before "start with greeks" and Stoner.

>> No.7071582

>>7071484
ulitskaya, limonov (erotica), akunin (great with chicks), and that other guy with the hologram president false,advertiser mind control begbede bull crap.

>> No.7072146

don't bother fam

>> No.7072197

>>7071484
Read Maidenhair by Mikhail Shishkin, he has won all of Russia's major literary prizes and that book published in 2008 is the first, and so far, best of his works translated into English. It seems that literally no one in England that I've mentioned him too - including professors at one of the best universities in the country - has heard of him despite the fact that he is arguably Russia's greatest living novelist.

>> No.7072199

>>7071526
that dimension is constant, though. New people might idolize different books but they never actually expand their sphere of discussion

>> No.7072212
File: 13 KB, 406x422, putin pepe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7071484
Russia ain't what it used to be anymore

>> No.7072298
File: 27 KB, 500x281, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really like Pelevin but I get a lot of hate for that here. His stuff is quite critical of contemporary Russia yet it can be read outside of that lens. My favorite work of his is The Helmet of Horror, which is a deconstruction/retelling of Theseus and The Minotaur. While I suppose it could be considered 'gimmicky' (for the novel is a collection of communications between prisoners within a chatroom) I found the lack of context to correlate with the notion of being lost within a labyrinth.

The plot is essentially that a group of individuals find themselves alone in cells with only a computer displaying a chatroom and no recollection of how they arrived there. Each room opens to an adjacent room (some of which lead to the labyrinth, some of which lead to dead ends with vague clues as to why they are enclosed there). Thus, they must piece together what is going on through a chatroom and this is the transcript that composes the novel.

The book gets rather complex, especially when the actual helmet of horror is being described and is one that requires rereading. I've also found that reading supplement essays helps to get a better grasp of it. Pelevin has other works worth checking out but this one is my favorite.

>> No.7072897

Bump