[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 42 KB, 300x392, 89107343406f29.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7060254 No.7060254 [Reply] [Original]

Can y'all shed some light on Katje's first chapter? It starts w/her being filmed and ends with the beginning again. I got the oven part and the dodo part. Not sure about the Pirate/Feel part. Or why it loops in on itself. Thanks.

>> No.7060340

Oh fuck that chapter was hard to follow. I charted it out though.. let me go get my notes

>> No.7060387

>>7060340
Thanks

>> No.7060506 [DELETED] 
File: 297 KB, 601x768, zak-smith-gravitys-rainbow-005.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7060387
The spoilered parts are actual sort of spoilers, you've been warned.

The section is based in Katja's flashbacks, but uses flashbacks in flashbacks and changes of perspective.

(1) In London Katje is in Prentice's flat while he cooks some drugs, she is being filmed by an unknown cameraman (Gerhardt Von Goll?) working for Pointsman. The film is later used to condition Grigory. When Katja sees Osbie using the oven she is reminded of her time in Holland at Blicero's battery (Hansel & Gretel).
(2) This triggers a flashback to Holland from Katja's point of view. (1944?) Briefly at the end of that section, we switch into Blicero's point of view, his vague recollections of pre-war ("Young Rauhundel at least said so... how many years back into peace")...
(3) ...Before going into a full on flashback to the African Sudwest (around the same time as the Mondaugen chapter from V.) where he meets Oberest Enzian.
(4) We then pull back out of the Sudwest to Blicero's 'present' in 1944 Holland, back at the Battery. The view point shifts to Gottfried's point of view before going back to Katje's.
(5) We now return to London with Katje's escape from the Battery and return to her handler Wim, but we are not yet at the narrative "present", rather a few weeks or months before the novel's opening. She transfers to the White Visitation, and the pov briefly shifts through Pirate talking to Osbie and then Katje.
(6) Pirate's dialogue then transitions the narrative back to a digression on Katje's Dutch ancestor Frans Van der Groov on the island Mauritius ~1681. The section briefly delves into letters addressed from Frans to his brother Hendrik.
(7) On page 111, the narrative then abruptly pulls back out to narrative present London back in Osbie's flat.

So it goes,
(present) London Katje > Battery Katje > Battery Blicero > Sudwest Blicero > Battery Blicero > Battery Gottfried > London Katje > Mauratius Frans > (present) London Katje

Hope that helps.

>> No.7060511 [DELETED] 
File: 297 KB, 601x768, zak-smith-gravitys-rainbow-005.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7060387

The section is based in Katje's flashbacks, but uses flashbacks in flashbacks and changes of perspective.

(1) In London Katje is in Prentice's flat while he cooks some drugs, she is being filmed by an unknown cameraman (Gerhardt Von Goll?) working for Pointsman. The film is later used to condition Grigory. When Katje sees Osbie using the oven she is reminded of her time in Holland at Blicero's battery (Hansel & Gretel).

(2) This triggers a flashback to Holland from Katje's point of view. (1944?) Briefly at the end of that section, we switch into Blicero's point of view, his vague recollections of pre-war ("Young Rauhundel at least said so... how many years back into peace")...

(3) ...Before going into a full on flashback to the African Sudwest (around the same time as the Mondaugen chapter from V.) where he meets Oberest Enzian.

(4) We then pull back out of the Sudwest to Blicero's 'present' in 1944 Holland, back at the Battery. The view point shifts to Gottfried's point of view before going back to Katje's.

(5) We now return to London with Katje's escape from the Battery and return to her handler Wim, but we are not yet at the narrative "present", rather a few weeks or months before the novel's opening. She transfers to the White Visitation, and the pov briefly shifts through Pirate talking to Osbie and then Katje.

(6) Pirate's dialogue then transitions the narrative back to a digression on Katje's Dutch ancestor Frans Van der Groov on the island Mauritius ~1681. The section briefly delves into letters addressed from Frans to his brother Hendrik.

(7) On page 111, the narrative then abruptly pulls back out to narrative present London back in Osbie's flat.

So it goes,
(present) London Katje > Battery Katje > Battery Blicero > Sudwest Blicero > Battery Blicero > Battery Gottfried > London Katje > Mauratius Frans > (present) London Katje

Hope that helps.

>> No.7060516 [DELETED] 

>>7060387

The section is based in Katje's flashbacks, but uses flashbacks in flashbacks and changes of perspective.

(1) In London Katje is in Prentice's flat while he cooks some drugs, she is being filmed by an unknown cameraman (Gerhardt Von Goll?) working for Pointsman. The film is later used to condition Grigory. When Katje sees Osbie using the oven she is reminded of her time in Holland at Blicero's battery (Hansel & Gretel).

(2) This triggers a flashback to Holland from Katje's point of view. (1944?) Briefly at the end of that section, we switch into Blicero's point of view, his vague recollections of pre-war ("Young Rauhundel at least said so... how many years back into peace")...

So it goes,

Hope that helps.

>> No.7060523

>>7060387

So it goes,

Hope that helps.

>> No.7060524

>>7060516

Is there anywhere all of the Zak Smith pictures are uploaded?

>> No.7060529

Well I just fucked up the spoilers in my post four times and 4chan won't let me delete posts any more.

Sorry about that.

>> No.7060540

One more point of note, I believe Katje's eventual release from The White Visitation is what Pirate's kryptosam mail is referring to, which he receives in the V2-like rocket at the beginning of the book.

>> No.7060555

>>7060523
why the fuck would anyone write anything that complicated?

>> No.7060566

>>7060555
It's a great experience to read. Disorienting without being choppy, the transitions through time and space are so deftly done you don't realize you're leaving one place until you're already immersed in the next.

Chapter also contains some of the best internal monologues I've ever read.

>> No.7060576

Just realized I fucked up with the drugs part, Pirate isn't home, it's Osbie cooking the drugs in Pirate's house

>> No.7060717

>>7060523
badass, I haven't read it in 8 years but I'm saving this for next time I do. one of the best posts I've seen on /lit/, good work anon

>> No.7060728
File: 3.78 MB, 200x134, Cate PTSD.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7060523
Thanks for all that.

So it's unclear who is filming her / how? And is there a reason for the loop? I just looked it over, so it starts w/the camera watching Katje & ends w/Grigori watching the film of it.

The 3rd from last ¶ is fucking confusing.

>> No.7060739

>>7060717
It's good to know ppl have actually read it.

>> No.7062618

>>7060728
>The 3rd from last ¶ is fucking confusing.
The ¶ starting how?