[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 36 KB, 375x472, NabokovBoxing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7049594 No.7049594 [Reply] [Original]

What does /lit/ think of Nabokov?

>> No.7049783

http://wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations
Dostoevsky, Fyodor. Dislike him. A cheap sensationalist, clumsy and vulgar. A prophet, a claptrap journalist and a slapdash comedian. Some of his scenes are extraordinarily amusing. Nobody takes his reactionary journalism seriously.

The Double. His best work, though an obvious and shameless imitation of Gogol's "Nose."
The Brothers Karamazov. Dislike it intensely.
Crime and Punishment. Dislike it intensely. Ghastly rigmarole.
B T F O

>> No.7049795

>>7049783
why did he dislike those books intensely

>> No.7049834

To return to my lecturing days: I automatically gave low marks when a student used the dreadful phrase "sincere and simple" — "Flaubert writes with a style which is always simple and sincere" — under the impression that this was the greatest compliment payable to prose or poetry. When I struck the phrase out, which I did with such rage that it ripped the paper, the student complained that this was what teachers had always taught him: "Art is simple, art is sincere." Someday I must trace this vulgar absurdity to its source. A schoolmarm in Ohio? A progressive ass in New York? Because, of course, art at its greatest is fantastically deceitful and complex.

>> No.7049841

>>7049795
He says so right there, anon. He's also right, Dosto is beyond overrated, his writing is bloated and stale.

>> No.7049853

"There is nothing in the world that I loathe more than group activity, that communal bath where the hairy and slippery mix in a multiplication of mediocrity."

could a man be more based

>> No.7050157

Great writer, great big arrogant douche.

>> No.7050183

Always the same story. Has nothing behind his decorations.

>> No.7050187

>>7049841
He literally doesn't say so right there. Nabokov fanboys confirmed can't read?

>> No.7050527

cunt

>> No.7050536

>>7049594

Mediocre, puffed-up, a nonentity. Means absolutely nothing to me.

>> No.7050548

>>7050536
I see what you did there