[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 51 KB, 302x475, notes_from_underground_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
703467 No.703467 [Reply] [Original]

Thinking about rereading this. Read it like a month ago. I did enjoy it but I feel like I didn't get as much from it as I should have. So I present a few questions to you /lit/:
a. Ever reread books for similar reasons?
b. What did you get from Notes From Underground?

>> No.703474

A) Only sometimes, generally I do it for that reason only with non-fiction. I usually re-read fiction, and very rarely, because the book was entertaining and/or funny.
B) Never read it, keep meaning to.

>> No.703480

I'm gonna reread Moby-Dick in a few weeks' time for the exact same reason, OP. And what I got from Notes from Underground was a resounding feeling of "So, this is where cynicism eventually leads...".

>> No.703496

>I'm gonna reread Moby-Dick in a few weeks' time for the exact same reason, OP. And what I got from Notes from Underground was a resounding feeling of "So, this is where cynicism eventually leads...".

Interesting. Would you consider the narrator an older, more fucked up Holden Caulfield?

>> No.703493

the last book I reread was Murakami's book about running, cos I was losing inspiration to keep running every morning. It worked nicely and now I'm back in control.

>> No.703520

>>703496
That's close to how I look at him, yeah, only even worse, because he's a grown man, and quite possibly the most pathetic, whiny character I've ever encountered in fiction before. That said, I love NfU because of that; it's predicting the stereotypical 4channer, the cynic who hates the world around him but doesn't have the guts to do anything but be petty and unpleasant and grumble to his captive audience (in NfU, the reader, in today's case, the rest of Anonymous).

>> No.703533

>>703493
which one is that? sounds like what i need

>> No.703536

What a poor, poor whore.
She was like a mangled doe.
Innocent, depraved.

>> No.703539

>>703467
Holy crap OP
I read NFTU about 3 months ago and was underwhelmed. I reread it last week and love it.
Seriously REREAD it!!
I got the feeling from the novella that the protagonist was an embodiment of the ronery fags we see on /r9k/
His frustrations and social awkwardness etc all played out in a cather in the rye manner.
In fact upon reading it you get the feeling that Salinger merely ripped off the whole story.

>> No.703540

I took from it that society is a piece of shit, but there's no way to fix things at all. Even if you disapprove of things, you still want to be a part of it, so just give up and be a Christian or a fascist or whatever.

>> No.703546

I think the first part shows how reason in it's purest form is absurd, diseased.

>> No.703548

>>703536
The nameless protagonist's verbal attack on the whore in NFTU is among one of the most powerful things I've ever read.

>> No.703556

>>703548
Agreed, Dostoyevsky understood the tortured soul very well. Nietzsche called him "the only psychologist from whom I have anything to learn."

>> No.703564

why do you shitheads refer to it as "notes from the underground"
i do not see a "the" in the title

>> No.703568

>>703556
also congrats you can use wikipedia

>> No.703573

and don't you fuckers ever compare notes from underground to catcher in the rye ever again
that's just insulting dostoevsky and his book

>> No.703574

>Stagolee
You're a pleasant person.

>> No.703585

>>703568
Yes, because there's obviously no other way people could possibly remember this INCREDIBLY FAMOUS QUOTE that almost every person who reads Dostoevsky ever has already heard of. Had to be Wikipedia. Just had to be.
You said you're leaving /lit/ dude. Fucking go.

>> No.703591

>>703573
I did say that Salinger ripped off the book. If anything the comparison was praising Dostoevsky. Catchre in the rye is the most hyped piece of crap from the last century. Notes from Underground is infinitely superior. I was merrely highlighting the similarities in the narrative i.e both protagonists seek solace in confessing to a whore.

>> No.703597

>>703564
Can't remember reading anything like that on Wikipedia, derp.

>> No.703601

>>703597
Just looked it up; that Nietzsche quote is there. It's coincidental; I am just a Nietzsche fan.

>> No.703602

I thought this was a board with some intelligent people and all we get is DERP wiki Herp you dumb derp me smart.

Fucking morons

>> No.703606

Who the fuck cares if he did get info from Wikipedia? What he said is still relevant and actually contributes to the thread. Fuck off, guys.

>> No.703619

At first, I found the Underground Man to be a pretty despicable and repulsive character. But eventually I grew to sympathise with the character and his plight. I realised that the Underground Man was, above all else, a victim of his society; in the end, why should be surprised that a person could be so callous and bitter, when his society is one of decay and nihilism?

>> No.703625

>>703606
Anyone care to continue discussing the book or are we all going to be sucked into an intellectual black hole started by a tripfag?
Does Notes have a relevance to his other works? I had a friend tell me I should read it because it sets up a sort of (trying to remember how he put it) way of thinking, or viewpoint, or something, to reading his other works.

>> No.703632

>>703625
here i can check wikipedia for you

>Secondly, the narrator's desire for pain and paranoia is exemplified by his liver pain and toothache. This parallels Raskolnikov's behavior in Dostoevsky's later novel, Crime and Punishment.

there you go

>> No.703649

oh look stagolee helped someone out

nope we still gotta hate him cause it's cool

>> No.703655

>>703625
I could never get into Dostoevsky's other work as much, but there's definitely a link there. His other protagonists never get quite as misanthropic as the underground man, though.

>> No.703667

>>703649
... that was a really dick reply to a sincere question man. Do you seriously not understand where people's antagonism towards you comes from, when you act like that?

>> No.703673

>>703649
So Stag, excited about the end of Lost?

>> No.703671

>>703667
did i hurt your feelings
if i did i will apologize

>> No.703677

>>703673
no.

>> No.703679

>>703677
Really? Why not?

>> No.703680

>>703677
Bullshit. You're gonna watch it with your pants around your ankles, viciously tugging away as tears roll down your cheeks and your wildly unrealistic fantasies of having things to talk about with real people to gain their acceptance will fuel every pumping gyration of your sweaty, lotioned fist.

>> No.703683
File: 22 KB, 399x297, john locke.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>703679
ARE YOU KIDDING ME OF COURSE I AM
but i should go now
spoilers are around at every corner
see ya

also to the guy who said i had a dick reply since you didn't ever reply to me i will apologize now. i am sorry, anonymous poster. next time you ask me a question i will be sure to answer it with courtesy and respect. i have nothing against you, personally. but it's these other people on here that ruin all the fun.

>> No.703701

>>703683

weren't you going to leave /lit/?

Way to get me hopes up.

>> No.703703

>>703683

lost is poop

>> No.703705

>>703467
I just read this book for the second time the other day. It is well worth it to reread, trust me. You pick up on things you missed the first time. I found the ending to be much more fascinating the second time around, whereas the first time I was perhaps a tad too immersed in the story to care much about the little insights he gives at the end, when the story has basically finished. Definitely worth rereading OP

>> No.703726

>>703467
Do it.