[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 227x265, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6946907 No.6946907 [Reply] [Original]

WHY DOES NOBODY HERE TALK ABOUT BECKETT?!?!

>> No.6946913

We're waiting for you to.

>> No.6946925

Why is the only thing anybody ever asks regarding Beckett why nobody ever talks about Beckett here despite there being talk of Beckett here at least in part caused by this repeated question despite it being based on false premises such as there not being the talk which it sometimes provokes?

>> No.6947018

>>6946913
I've started Beckett threads in the past trying to discuss his novel trilogy, Watt, and short prose (only read a couple plays), and people either shitposted about how he was the poor man's Joyce (they are very different) or asked 'how do I into Beckett' 75 times. So forgive me if I'm a bit cynical about trying to initiate the discussion. It's just weird that one of the greatest writers of all time (opinion) is hardly mentioned by a board that is purportedly about literature

>> No.6947024
File: 41 KB, 720x400, Grisha.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6946913
Who are we waiting for again?

Honestly though OP, if anyone else feels like me, they probably read Godot once and then just said "fuck it." I need to give some of his other stuff a try.

>> No.6947025

I always see threads talking about how no one talks about him.

>> No.6947033

>>6947018
I've not read Beckett, but am pretty excited to. I think a lot of lit-kids get the impression that he was primarily a playwright, which puts them off. (At least, it puts me off...) After reading JM Coetzee's fawning over his novels, though, I'm ready to give him a shot. The favorite author of a favorite author is probably a favorite author.

>> No.6947058

>>6946907
/lit/ doesn't talk about moderate famous good authors.

>> No.6947074

Because he's a hack.

>> No.6947110

I've yet to read his trilogy for some reason, but I enjoyed Murphy, Watt, and some of his shorter fiction.

He's kind of intimidating tbh. You feel that you won't understand what he's trying to say.

>> No.6947113
File: 18 KB, 328x235, Nazis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6946907

>Waiting for Godot is about a dialogue between a Left Wing Master and his Slave, with a Right Wing Master and his Slave
>To us, its incomprehensible, because we have never known revolutionary terror. So we graft on all sorts of absurd shit to it.
>But the message of Waiting for Godot is that Vladimir doesn't want to become Godot, because he knows how terrible being Vladimir Lenin really is.

Particular things overlooked.

>The shoes represent Estragon giving up his present in hopes some one will take up his future.
>Estragon wants to kill himself, because without a "Revolutionary," life is unbearable.
>Vladimir, OTOH, uses his superior intellect to trick Estragon to remaining alive, so that they could hang out.
>When Lucky puts on the hat, he spouts nonsense about his reality. This represents alot of the stuff you read on Pol, when right wingers come with Beck-Tier bullshit.
>Notice how Estragon keeps trying to wear Vladimir's hat, but doesn't suit him. No matter how hard he tries, he cannot be the Lenin, even if he wants to.
>Even worse. Estragon cannot take off the boot, because as a Left Wing worker, he is too incapable of doing what only Vladmir can do.
>Potso dies in the end, without 'Leninist' intervention. But even then, Vladimir doesn't want to be Lenin.
>Also Potso is extremely overconfident, by referring to off screen "glories."
>Eventually, the audience loses track of what its watching, because the topic is so terribad, people can't understand what they are looking at.
>If they did, they wouldn't want to watch it.
>For even Patricians, it's the closest thing to a real life King in Yellow.

It goes on and on.

The entire play is Beckett's rationalization of why he doesn't want to be a Communist. There are other weird absurd things, (like the boy is an outright fucking fiction that Beckett tells the Audience, to make them sympathize with Beckett.

>1946 Paris.
>Nobody knows shit about the late 40s.
>ergo. nobody made that connection.

Furthermore, Post-Modernists cannot into Beckett. The author explicitly forbid women in his god damn play. How could they then understand his reasoning, without shouting "TRIGGERED!"

>Waiting for Godot and Coriolanus are the two plays that Academia never understood, because both deal with the rationalization of genocidal terror.

Finally. Anyone who has PTSD should see this play. Because its designed for them.

>Pic related.
>This is what politics was about in Beckett's time.

>> No.6947218

The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new.

>> No.6947252

I'm about a third of the way through Molloy at the moment. I see Beckett as a companion to Joyce in the sense that they both created, in my opinion, the most accurate portrayals of consciousness. Beckett is a bit closer to my heart, however, because his brand of incoherence is closest to my own.

>> No.6947803

I've asked a Samuel Buckett at the KFC yesterday and the waiter smiled at me when he said that it was on his way