[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 94 KB, 800x537, 140729115158-large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6931603 No.6931603 [Reply] [Original]

Post a quote from what you're reading.

>> No.6931627

>>6931603
>Farce, she had told herself once before, had to be played with a straight face, as though you believed every outrageous word. Only tragedy demanded laughter; and that, with the aid of the frogs, they might yet prevent.
--"Babel's Children" by Clive Barker

It's a short story about a woman who gets stranded in the hills while on holiday and finds a secret enclave housing a group of seemingly insane individuals and some heavily armed nuns. They make all the major political decisions in the world. They usually do this by playing games, including flipping coins, playing poker, and racing frogs. Without them, the world would fall apart.

>> No.6931630

Sleep after toyle, port after stormie seas,
Ease after warre, death after life, does greatly please

>> No.6931638

"Insert pretentious out of context quote here"

Please acknowledge my existence.

>> No.6931782

Who is the third who walks away beside you?
When I count, there are only you and I together

>> No.6931803

>>6931638

Incorrect, outdated view of the meaning of 4chan
or the internet

>> No.6931809

"And, you know, Bloom's wife.. Her breasts.. my willy got hard"

>> No.6931811

Crapflooding has evolved from spammed evangelist posts on Usenet to the repeated posting of shock media like Goatse, Tubgirl, ‘shitting dick nipples’, and mutilated corpses. Flaming has developed from comparing participants to Hitler to derisively captioned offensive images. 4chan’s misogynistic discourse revolves largely around captioned camwhore photographs and ‘tits or GTFO’, short for the ironic insistence that women should provide timestamped photographs of breasts and then cease to participate, at least under a gendered identity.

>> No.6931886

>>6931603
>D'un coup, comme j'étais encore dans le hall, Jane Gallagher m'est revenue à l'esprit.

>> No.6933233
File: 11 KB, 180x200, ford.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"We can't win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

>> No.6933839

>>6931603

>"Above all don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to such a pass that cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love and in order to occupy and distract himself without love he gives way to passions and coarse pleasures, and sinks to beastiality in his vices, and all from continual lying to other men and to himself. The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than any one. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offence, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him. but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offence, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it, and so pass to genuine vindictiveness.

>> No.6933845
File: 242 KB, 562x368, atlas.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"...his penis a blood monolith"

>> No.6933855

>Yet I believe I have a deeper sense of the stupefying—almost horrible—ancientness of the West than any European. It all comes from an incident that happened in 1928; an incident which I’d greatly like to dismiss as three-quarters hallucination, but which has left such a frightfully firm impression on my memory that I can’t put it off very easily.

guess whooooooooooo?

protip: you will

>> No.6933860

La tombe aime tout de suite le silence.

>> No.6933861

"You've heard of animals chewing off a leg to escape a trap? There's an animal kind of trick. A human would remain in the trap, endure the pain, feigning death that he might kill the trapper and remove a threat to his kind."

>> No.6933887

"a goodly tree far distant to behold
loaden with fruit of fairest colors mixed,
ruddy and gold.--"

idk if i was very tired or if this was the most beautiful part of Paradise Lost (maybe excepting parts of the 12th book)

something about how calm and serene and beautiful Satan's (Milton's rly but u get me) description of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil is, when so much suffering rests therein made my eyes and heart dilate holy guacamole

>> No.6934768

I thought this was pretty funny.
From Ubik:

"I'll sue you," the door said as the first screw fell out. Joe Chip said, "I've never been sued by a door. But I guess I can live through it.”

>> No.6934808

>"It was becoming all too clear, by this time, that Rome could not function--could not even survive as more than a crime-infested backwater--in the absence of the papal court. That whenever a pope was away for more than brief interludes, the city actually began to die. And that when the popes returned, its heart began to beat again. The so-called Eternal City was, ironically, the least stable, least vital, and least self-sufficient of Italy's great capitals."

Not a bad stylist, sometimes unclear and other times very sensational with his handling of facts, trying to convince us of benevolent Borgias by praising Rodrigo's esteem with Pius II or telling us of Alonso's very sedate and circumspect manner. Yes, there is little evidence of the Borgias being nearly as terrible as popular culture seems to believe, but there is little evidence to the other extreme, as well. I hope Meyer stays his hand evenly.

>> No.6934814

>>6933855
Lovecraft?

>> No.6934822 [DELETED] 

"In that quiet village, stacked three thousand feet above the sea against the southwestern slopes of the Sierra de Guadarrama, the province of Madrid, and the kingdom of New Castile laid out barren at its feet, there are thirty-seven bars, where, as in most of that country, the visitor is free to enjoy that privilege which distinguishes him from the natives to such advantage, and get morbidly, or helplessly, riotously, or roaring, drunk. No one minds. He is looked upon as a curiosity, one who has, perhaps, worked out an ingeniously obvious solution to unnecessary problems, and is mortgaging a present which is untenable to secure a future which does not existIn that quiet village, stacked three thousand feet above the sea against the southwestern slopes of the Sierra de Guadarrama, the province of Madrid, and the kingdom of New Castile laid out barren at its feet, there are thirty-seven bars, where, as in most of that country, the visitor is free to enjoy that privilege which distinguishes him from the natives to such advantage, and get morbidly, or helplessly, riotously, or roaring, drunk. No one minds. He is looked upon as a curiosity, one who has, perhaps, worked out an ingeniously obvious solution to unnecessary problems, and is mortgaging a present which is untenable to secure a future which does not exist."

>> No.6934830

In that quiet village, stacked three thousand feet above the sea against the southwestern slopes of the Sierra de Guadarrama, the province of Madrid, and the kingdom of New Castile laid out barren at its feet, there are thirty-seven bars, where, as in most of that country, the visitor is free to enjoy that privilege which distinguishes him from the natives to such advantage, and get morbidly, or helplessly, riotously, or roaring, drunk. No one minds. He is looked upon as a curiosity, one who has, perhaps, worked out an ingeniously obvious solution to unnecessary problems, and is mortgaging a present which is untenable to secure a future which does not exist

>> No.6935430

>>6934814
winrar

90% of his stories start this way

>> No.6935433

>Can destiny, then, be as malicious as an intelligent being, and become as monstrous as the human heart?

>> No.6935485
File: 2.10 MB, 2958x2012, 1438737311702.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Now, with the subordinate phantoms, what wonder remained soon waned away; for in a whaler wonders soon wane.

>> No.6935524

>airborne toxic event
Don't feel like typing anything out from the book, so I'll just leave that obvious clue. Book's fun as shit though, like everything Fight Club set out to be, but written much better

>> No.6935855

>The world didn't have the ability to change itself even the tiniest bit, it was so pathetically inclosed in its pedantry that it would never be able to allow scarfs to be taken for flowers...

>> No.6935896

>Les premières lettres que nous ayons de Paul datent de 51, c'est à dire d'une quinzaine d'années après sa conversion. Ce sont les lettres aux Thessaloniciens. Paul avait déja fondé de nombreuses églises.

>> No.6936073

He closed his eyes in the languor of sleep. His eyelids trembled as if they felt the vast cyclic movement of the earth and her watchers, trembled as if they felt the strange light of some new world. His soul was swooning into some new world, fantastic, dim, uncertain as under sea, traversed by cloudy shapes and beings. A world, a glimmer or a flower? Glimmering and trembling, trembling and unfolding, a breaking light, an opening flower, it spread in endless succession to itself, breaking in full crimson and unfolding and fading to palest rose, leaf by leaf and wave of light by wave of light, flooding all the heavens with its soft flushes, every flush deeper than the other.

—James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

>> No.6936100
File: 12 KB, 313x62, philosophy in the bedroom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6936132 [DELETED] 

mine,

Life and Fate
The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll
The Land Breaskers
The Long Ships
Warlock
The Book of Ebenezer Le Page
Stoner
Eve's Hollywood
Chess Story
The Peregrine
The Colour Out of Space
The Road: Stories, Journalism, and Essays
Beware of Pity
The World as I Found It
Store of the Worlds: The Stories
Everything Flows
Fear: A Novel of World War I
Augustus
The Thirty Years War
Hard Rain Falling
War and the Iliad
Kaputt
Butcher's Crossing
On Being Blue
The Invention of Morel
Proud Beggars
The Post-Office Girl
A Journey Round My Skull
The Inferno
Dirty Snow
The Skin
The Late Mattia Pascal
The World of Odysseus
Monsieur Proust
Mouchette
The Ten Thousand Things
The Slynx
A High Wind in Jamaca
Chocky
The Dud Avacado
A Way of Life, Like Any Other
Talk

>> No.6936151
File: 230 KB, 295x450, PFMC.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"The world is a wonderful place but for the bastards in it."

600 pages in and it's still pretty shit, though.

>> No.6936303

>>6933845
I'll show you a blood monolith.
*unzips dick*

>> No.6936309

>>6931886
Read it in English.

>> No.6936317

>>6936309

The one something, I am called something in the something, Jane Gallagher is something in spirit.

>> No.6936361

From beyond the door, a loud buzz erupted and wasps the size of his fist began zipping through the portal like bullets as they made a beeline for Rei. They joined the rest of their insectoid brethren on him and began viciously stabbing him with their inch-long stingers, poking him full of holes. The sores made his burning skin burn hotter and began to blister, swelling with pustules that spewed spiny-headed parasitic worms that flailed blindly from their hosthole. One wasp went straight for the throat and stabbed him nine times in his esophagus. The urge to gag rose in Rei's gullet and he puked up fistfuls of slippery white worms as thick and long as udon noodles that streamed down his chest and hit the ground with a wet splat. Agony pulsed in every nerve, assaulting his mind with bolts of god lightning as the screaming of his eyes rose in volume with the sound of clapping. The skittering of feet and feeding mouths crescendoed into a fearful din as his boiling skin bubbled and began to slough off his brittle bones in taffylike waves, drowning the vermin and exposing the rawred musculature of his body.

The monster watched on in silence.

>> No.6936377

>“He knew everything there was to know about literature, except how to enjoy it”

Sounds like /lit/

>> No.6937269

>>6931603
>Post a quote from what you're reading.

>> No.6937278

"I sat back back feverished and fagged."

>> No.6937286

>>6931603
>5
>Look for shadow in this double-lit mist. A dark communion in the burning streets between the landscape and the smarting senses suggest more sterile agonies. Clouds out of control decoct anticipation. What use any of us have for TWO moons? The miracle of order has run out I am left in an unmiraculous city where anything may happen. I don't more intimations of disorder. It has to be more than that! Search the smoke for the fire's base. Read from the coals neither success nor despair. This edge of boredom is as bright. I pass it, into the dark rim. There is the deceiving warmth that asks nothing. There are objects lost in double-light.

"Dhalgren" by Samuel Delany

>> No.6937313

>>6937269
>Anonymous 08/06/15(Thu)17:05:37 No.6937269▶
> >>6931603 (OP)
> >Post a quote from what you're reading.

>> No.6937367

>>6931603
>The beauty of a naked body is only appreciated by those cultures that use clothing. Modesty is important for sensuality like resistance for energy.
>Artificiality is the best way to enjoy what's natural. Whatever I've enjoyed in these vast fields I've enjoyed because I don't live here. One who has never lived under constraints doesn't know what freedom is.

The Book of Disquiet by Pessoa

>> No.6937457
File: 227 KB, 1293x921, Pessoa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6937367
I'm reading it too. Bonus mode: in Portuguese.
>My homeland is the Portuguese language

>> No.6937462

>>6937457

So it's just a load of harping on about feel and rome?

>> No.6937489

"They spent as much time doing poetry, art, and music as they did each other."

>> No.6937512

>>6937462
Hard to explain yes it does read like diary entries, I usually say that is is perfectly neutral philosophical poetry of the individual. And I really do mean philosophical in the sense that you could extract a new kind of philosophy out of him although it looks like nihilism and he claims it, it is not, as someone who studies philosophy intensely he is pushing a barrier I can't quite put my finger on.

>> No.6937548

>>6937462
The harp is because it is truly poetry in prose. And the city is not Rome, is Lisbon.

>> No.6937553

>In the end I must rely on the judgement and standing of the few scientific leaders who have, on the other hand, sufficient independence of thought to weigh my data on its own hideously convincing merits or in the light of certain primordial and highly baffling myth cycles; and on the other hand, sufficient influence to deter the exploring world in general from any rash and over ambitious program in the region of those mountains of madness.
B R A V O
R
A
V
O

>> No.6937826

>>6934768
Well, that pushes that further up the backlog.

>>6936100
Delicious indeed.

>> No.6937837

>>6931603
>'dank memes'
>Anonymous

I've lost all control over my life.

>> No.6937863

> As John of Salisbury, Bishop of Chartres and Becket's biographer, noted, 'The French fear our king and hate him equally'.

Page 69 of 1002.

>> No.6938162

>>6937548
>And the city is not Rome, is Lisbon.

Isn't Lisbon where Rome used to be before it got washed downhill in one of the floods or something?

>> No.6938177

>>6938162
No