[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 475 KB, 546x824, fairwell-arms.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6916103 No.6916103 [Reply] [Original]

've never read any Hemingway, so I thought to myself, 'Self, that is probably something you should remedy.' And now there are a couple of hours of my life that I will never get back. The macho posturing, the awful dialogue (if it were possible to have excised every word he put into the mouth of Catherine, I would have done so), the misogyny, the sometimes bizarre interactions between people... whatever the hell he was trying to do, for me it read as if everyone was either: 1) Certifiably insane, 2) an alien with no knowledge of human interaction or 3) a certifiably insane alien with no knowledge of human interaction. A vapid book full of vapid people.

>> No.6916107
File: 22 KB, 293x282, 1378948517364.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

b8 do not reply

DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS DO NOT REPLY LINE DO NOT CROSS

>> No.6916115

Read his short stories if you don't like the macho posturing. It's still there, but the irony is more direct. I think, sure, he Hemingway was trying to convey manliness and support it as a kind of philosophy of life, but he's also self-referential insofar as he's brutal to his masculine characters. The price of machismo is a challenging life. The price of a lack of machismo is also a challenging life.

The struggle to be a man is also in Faulkner's work, with the same conclusion to be drawn.

>> No.6916125

Read The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber

>> No.6916136

>>6916103
this is pasta