[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 127 KB, 576x635, 1405196909057.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6907287 No.6907287 [Reply] [Original]

>be me
>read non-fiction for the prose
>sit in lecture, about to begin
>qt professor who has been eyefucking me all semester comes up to me for no reason
>asks me what I am reading
>I always read when waiting for lectures to start, and she must have noticed earlier in the semester
>>"On war" by Clausewitz
>She says "ah" and goes back to the front desk, starts lecture
>Last lecture, she asks if anyone wants to go for a beer to celebrate the end of the semester
>some autist grills raise hands
>her eyes scan the room, right to left, I am on the far left
>she looks at me for a good, awkward 3-4 seconds
>I look at her
>do not raise hand
>too embarassed cause of reading On War and also going full aspergers over semantics one or two lectures back (I objected to the non-sensical use of "modern internet", with a snarky "modern, eh?" and the situation turned full on awkward, and ended with me having to insist "nevermind, it's okay" about 5 times

I hope I'm not the only one suffering him from autism unironically here, share your literary autism.

>> No.6907411

>>6907287
>be me
>at Barnes and Nobles sipping a pumpkin latte
>Group of kids come in talking loudly, disturbing my focus on prose
>"Get out of here you rascally wastrels!"
>Waitress asks me to keep my voice down
>Kids start looking through books
>One of them picks up a book by John Green
>"I should read this before watching the movie XD"
>I stand and throw my latte into the childs face
>He's screaming and writing on the ground
>"START WITH THE GREEKS"
>I see another child pick up a book by Camus
>"Nice entry tier psuedo philosophical juvenile solopsistic text you shit!"
>Begin slamming his head against my typewriter
>Spend the next two years in house arrest

>> No.6907416

>>6907287
Ouch.

Sorry, man.

>> No.6907428
File: 108 KB, 648x600, lime.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>have read everything Rousseau ever wrote at least half a dozen times
>pretty obsessed tbh
>he's on the reading list in several of my courses
>each professor gets something wrong any time he's mentioned in lecture
>sperg out every time
>it's not enough to just correct them
>have to go on long rant about how much of a genius he was
>sit at the very back from then on
>every history and philosophy professor I've had cover Rousseau has endorsed the position that he was responsible for the "excesses" of the French Revolution
>mfw

>> No.6907434

>>6907411
What did he write on the ground with?

>> No.6907453

>be at the library
>grab the memetrilogy and lolita
>go to check out
>qt 8/10 librarian waiting behind the desk
>ofuckofuckofuck
>try to drop lolita onto the floor behind me
>Sir!
>shit fuck
>turn around, 60 year old woman bending over to pick my book up for me
>Here you go young man
>look of disdain on her face
>th-thanks
>approach desk
>hand her pile of books with lolita on the bottom
>she scans them, gets to final book
>pauses, looks up at me
>'Did you at least start with the Greeks?'
>w-what
>'It was a question, y'know, the type you of sentence you respond to with an answer?'
>n-no
>she throws my books at me
>Harold Bloom repels from the skylight in the ceiling
>breaks his hip with an audible snap on the way down but he doesn't even flinch
>'HAHAHAHA PLEB, PATHETIC RESENTER!', he screams up at me from his place on the floor, 'YOU HAVE TO START WITH THE GREEKS AND TRACE SHAKESPEARE'S INFLUENCE THROUGH HOMER! HAMLET! HAMLET!'
>by now everybody's laughing at me
>try to run to the exit, fumbling through my teart blurred vision
>the resurrected body of David Foster Wallace tackles me full speed like the hybrid offspring of a linebacker and a train
>hit the ground next to Harold
>he begins undoing my pants and fucks me in the ass while DFW pisses on my face and recites his This Is Water speech
>the librarian called the roman triumvirate and says they're on their way to brand the pleb mark into my forehead
Everytime I try to check out lolita.

>> No.6907454

>>6907428
Could you describe what makes you like Rousseau so much? He's not one of the ones commonly obsessed over, in my experience.

>> No.6907455

>>6907434
With his finger. I assume he used the spilt drink as ink.

>> No.6907458

>>6907453
>Harold Bloom repels from the skylight

>> No.6907464

>>6907458
rappel

>> No.6907535

>>6907287
>the situation turned full on awkward, and ended with me having to insist "nevermind, it's okay" about 5 times

familiar feel

>> No.6907779

>>6907287
If she is down to fuck, and there are no real legal restrictions, I dare you to approach her and tell her to meet in private over a coffee.
Get started this way, in the end it'll improve your ways.

>> No.6907908
File: 30 KB, 200x196, watbird.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6907779
That's what a non-autist would do

An autist would wait 3 years, and then post it on a tibetan carpet knitting board as a greentext.

>> No.6907911

>>6907411
>was it good? what he wrote while he was on the ground I mean.

>> No.6908453
File: 7 KB, 225x225, wittg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6907908
>>6907287
OP here

That class was weird as hell, so there's a few more spergy stories from it, some intertwined

>Sit alone in second lecture (I prefer solitude, again I use this time to read)
>super qt comes too late, sits next to me
>tell her what happened
>in lecture, we split into group to discuss an excerpt from Kant's third critique
>I impress my group with my reading (among them super qt; dunno what exactly, like I said 3 years ago)
>Say something in a superautistic way (at that time, I didnt speak for multiple weeks on end, full hermit phase)
>super qt smiles at me, and asks me "Is that how one says that?"
>smile back and make a small quip along the lines of Wittgenstein's "meaning of a word is it's use"
>accidentally be suave
>When it comes to full class discussion, our speaker mentions me specifically for my point
>proudasfuck.jpg
>develop a crush on super qt
>next lecture, she is late again
>sits next to me, me reading
>sperglord mode, dont even lift my head
>mumble an insecure "hello" into the book
>no reaction
>repeat even more silent
>next lecture, she doesn't sit next to me anymore
>still the most qt girl I have ever seen, 3 years later
>having a crush on her (even though it was totally hopeless after greeting my book instead of her) probably played into me not chasing dtf professor qt and the sidecharacter of the next installment

more incoming

>> No.6908491
File: 596 KB, 1000x750, 1437748279264.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6908453
>Middle of semester
>split into groups again
>basically the same thing happens with another grill, also qt, but not my type
>only have eyes for super qt

at this point I think it needs mentioning that I am 23 in this story, and most people except the professor is in that age range as well. Since it probably reads like a shitty high school drama at this point - I can only comment: It's true, and the fact its so ridiculous is the reason why I still remember.

>Make her laugh unintentionally
>she finds my reactions to the other people funny, especially to the exploits of the neckbeard and the devout guy

interlude 1 - neckbeardo
>in the 1st lecture, as an introduction, we had to mention the piece of art, in the broad sense, we last engaged with
>the guy has a mantle, a beard, is chubby and wears a fucking hat. Hes also like 22yo.
>i know what image is in your head now - and its true, but he wasnt unhygienic like the prototypical neckbeard fedora guy
>Its his turn
>He saw some Shakespeare play (Much ado iirc) in a provincial theatre
>He speaks superaffectionated, like he is playing theatre
>also gesticulates like hes fucking hamlet
>unironically calls the play revolting, and says "the (name of theatre) is now my sworn enemy!"
>he keeps this mannerism and way of speech up for the rest of the semester
>I have to keep myself from bursting into laughter every time
>instead grin ferociously at him every time

contd

>> No.6908515

>>6907453
This is amazing, thanks Anon.

>> No.6908545

>>6908491
Continue your tale comrade!

>> No.6908548
File: 214 KB, 495x700, 1435719056932.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6907287
>>too embarassed cause of reading On War and also going full aspergers over semantics one or two lectures back (I objected to the non-sensical use of "modern internet", with a snarky "modern, eh?" and the situation turned full on awkward, and ended with me having to insist "nevermind, it's okay" about 5 times

>> No.6908549
File: 55 KB, 300x400, Heidegger16.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6908491
btw this is an aesthetics class, basically

interlude 2 - the devout muslim
>in discussions, hes the most vocal
>doesn't have a single argument not involving god
>when god is mentioned, goes full apeshit and talks for multiple minutes
>calls wittgensteins tractatus "arrogant"

end of interludes

>back to not my type qt who crushes on me
>never talk to her unless she talks to me first
>sits next to me for rest of semester
>thank god she is almost as shy as I am
>except for second to last(?) lecture, where we split up for group discussion again, this time based on something else but seating order
>(this is where my "modern internet" sperging happens as well)
>super qt and notmytypeQT are in one group
>subtly try to stare at superqt
>notmytypeQT sits next to her, stares at me
>superqt stares at work
>superawkward

final test
>sit next to notmytypeqt (she came after me and sat next to me everytime, in case someone wonders)
>superqt comes late
>only place empty is with back to professor
>professor says she needs to sit with front to her
>that means she is sitting next to me again
>sit between qts, with qt prof in front of me
>sweat through whole exam as if I was a 14yo in puberty
>probably am tbh
>when finished, hand prof exam
>I say thank you when handing in exams, dunno why, always did
>In order to not disturb people lean in and whisper
>unintentionally lean in a bit too close
>since i rarely speak, the first sentence I say after a long time of not talking often doesnt come out as I intend it - too loud, too soft, a bit raspy, etc.
>say "thank you", but the way i say it feels like I am whispering "I love you" in terms of tone

thats the weirdest lecture Ive ever head. I didnt even bring up the story of the monobrowed goblin girl (who also crushed on me, until she dared saying "modern internet"). I'm a fucking almost-NEET, and the amount of grills I could have had more than doubled in that lecture.

I'm actually more afraid one of the people in this story browses lit than I care to admit.

fin

>> No.6908561

>>6908549
the thing is that if you went after any of those girls all the other possible romances would disappear, and if that girl you chose rejects you then it's a complete loss.

>> No.6908573

>>6908549
lmao that end

>> No.6908584

>>6908573
Also, how was your mark on your final exam? pretty good strategy tbh

>> No.6908600
File: 207 KB, 692x960, 1435752695362.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Community college open elective history course
>We had to watch a video about whether or not Christianity was "outdated"
>Seriously felt like it was trying to be ironic, as it consisted of a smug British man interviewing Jesuit priests and hearing their arguments for how Christianity does not conflict with modern science, then spliced in clips of him asking the same questions to rural American evangelicals at the "Creation Museum" and saying "WELL WOULD YOU LOOK AT THIS, THESE XTIAN FUNDIES CAN'T QUITE GET THEIR STORY STRAIGHT!"
>Seriously the crudest and most jejune worldview I've ever seen in a man of his age, I wasn't even mad, just disappointed
>Teacher is a 20-something female part-time professor with a degree in archaeology
>After the film she asks for feedback
>I raise my hand
>"I feel like this film was completely uninterested in approaching the question of whether or not Christianity is capable of existing alongside an understanding of modern science, and was rather just seeking to lampoon them by presenting a bunch of weirdos on the fringe of Christian belief and pretending they provide an accurate representation of Christian theology"
>She nods and says "Well, you clearly have a lot of background on the subject. Anyone else?"
>One girl snickers

>> No.6908601

>>6908549
epilogue:

>still a forever alone hermit

>occasionally google super qt's name, she's now a model or some shit

>notmytypeQT I met once in a railwaystation. And by met, I mean she looked at me in a corridor from a distance of 30m, I grabbed my phone and stared at the screen until the situation had passed.

>the "modern internet" girl greeted me once a year later in a corridor at my institute. I said hello and kept walking. Why mention this? Because it's in the top 5 of female contact I had since the end of that class, in terms of intensity...

>fedora-hamlet I often see on campus, always with 3-5 people (while I sit alone) of mixed gender. I observe from a distance and reminisce his ridiculous mannerisms in class. He caught on, I think, he caught me staring a few times by now. I wish he would confront me in his thespian manner tbh, so I keep staring.

>never saw qt professor again. She is/was a relatively young prof, that class is the only one she teaches. Needless to say, I got an A. She wrote a lot of praise on my essays, and my exam.
>come to hink of it, I still have those essays lying around. Sometimes I read them, her remarks, and wonder what could have been if I wasnt such an idiot
>and wonder where I could be in life I wasnt such a pathetic human being
>and wonder why I keep wasting my life here, writing a boring diary entry on a cambodian circumsicion forum
>and keep on wondering..

>> No.6908608
File: 29 KB, 377x345, 1431369243022.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6907453
>DFW pisses on my face and recites his This Is Water speech

>> No.6908622

>>6908601
>He caught on, I think, he caught me staring a few times by now. I wish he would confront me in his thespian manner tbh, so I keep staring.
he clearly thinks you want to fuck him

>show no interest in cute girls around you
>stare at him for prolongued times
fuck, if you add
>remember specific things he said three years ago
>keep track of his progress as human bean
I would say that you might want to.

>> No.6908626

>>6908601
If you turned your experiences into short stories with a passable prose you could get them published in a few minor fiction magazines with little effort.

>> No.6908638

>>6908600
Did she say that ironically? I sure hope so.

Either way, archeologists are the scum of the earth. As a historian, I'd trust the opinion of my mail man more than most archeologists. Same goes for Anthropologists, and sociologists.

>> No.6908651

>>6908626
I am scared these people browsing lit, and you think I should get them published? You underestimate my autism, but thanks... unless this was meant as a quip at the shit that gets published nowadays

>> No.6908667

>>6908651
If you don't go into too much detail they'll never know. Consider that the superqt didn't live those experiences as the superqt but as a girl with her own worries and thoughts dealing with stuff completely unrelated to you, her interpretation of those events will be only marginally related to what you remember. Also, if some guy from another country can read it, laugh and relate, then your experiences are so unique and special that will be linked to you inmediately. Just use a pseudonym.
Also, very few people read literary journals and if you send them to other states then they'll never know until you become famous.

>>6908638
why the dislike for archeologists? when I was 10 I really wanted to be one and sometimes I think how things would be if I had followed that path.

>> No.6908671

>>6908638
As an anthropologist, I realize historians are just fan fiction experts who fail to realize the importance of material culture.

Enjoy basing your world view on ancient mass media propaganda and having no critical thinking skills.

>> No.6908673

>>6908651
i suggest you to start looking for some friends to become less of an autist, and proceed fucking girls

>> No.6908683

>>6908600
i, for one, would like to hear more

>> No.6908684

>>6907428
>Being this Liberal

>> No.6908705

>>6907411
This isn't a true story. If it is, you must behave the same way on /lit/ as you do IRL.

>> No.6908706

>>6908683
I actually never attended the class again, sorry. They posted the work that was worth marks online, so I just wrote good goy answers for slightly more than half of the work and wrote the exam, passed with a 65.

>> No.6908711

>>6907411
>He's screaming and writing on the ground
This is my creative process exactly.

>> No.6908744

I'll bite. Somewhat /lit/ related.

>be in pos class
>qt sits in front row of small auditorium
>i sit in the back
>I do studies (drawings) of kids in class
>do one of her which I work very hard on. It's the best one of the semester.
>I plan to give it to her at the end of the course
>can tell she is attracted to me. She was shocked when she saw me reading the Mote in Gods Eye in class
>apparently, people don't read

>last day of class get drunk at school bar while reading Crime and Punishment
>vow to give girl drawing
>after class, wait for her outside
>I call to her
"hey!"
>she gives me a look of astonishment
>I tell her I'm giving her this drawing. I didn't do it earlier in the semester so she wouldn't be creeped out
>she becomes too shocked
>asks for my name and shakes my hand
>starts walking away without looking up or saying a word
>said "goodbye" as I walked away

That's my sperglord story. Didn't care to get her number or anything since I had a gf at the time.

>> No.6908748

>>6908667
Oh you're right, from the perspective of the other people this story is basically "meet creeper twice", or "try to get guy to approach me, he is oblivious". I never though about it from their perspectives, since, evidently, it's not an interesting story that way.

>>6908673
The problem is I tend to start hating people once I know them. And then I act in a way that makes them hate me. For example, I have a friend that never does as he says. And I mean no correlation between speaking and acting. I know him well enough to know why that is, as well, which doesn't help it. And he keeps on saying stuff, but he never follows up, and at this point, him making a statement about an eventuality in the future is enough to make my blood boil. I called him out a few times, and it didn't help, but it definitely made him hate me as well. So now we have a very cold, incredibly strange relationship, in which we hate each other, but still occasionaly meet or talk. He's still in it for the same reason he makes empty promises - he likes to think of himself as something better than he is (not that what he is is in itself worthy of contempt, mind you). He has another friend he whined to me about for like 4 months straight, and I told him if he goes in his nerves that much, he should just not meet him/talk to him for a while. His answer was "I would never abandon him". And so he kept on bitching and moaning.

I assume it's the same with me now, after calling him out for shit like that continuiously.

He's my only friend, since I ditched a whole circle of friends for good, but unrelated reasons.

>> No.6908764

>>6908748
What were those reasons?

>> No.6908765

>>6908744
oh god I almost did something similar as well.

I wrote a (multiple actually) poem on superqt grill, and planned on sending it to her anonymously after the class ended. Shyness held me back, and now I remember that, I am for once glad that I am shy

Mind you, I only know her name from spying on the attendance list one has to sign, and she doesnt know mine at all.

do you still have the study? want to share it?

>> No.6908797
File: 110 KB, 800x595, 1377300479049.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6908764
We were basically an irl 4chan, that is, a circle of "friends" that are friends with each other because of not having any others. At the start in like 2004 we shared a hobby (a trading card game), as we did at the end (smoking weed all day).

Funnily enough, at the start I had other friends, was popular at school etc. But I was obsessed with the card game, and thus that social circle became my only one.

I stopped smoking weed and realized that besides drugs we had nothing in common anymore. We hated each other, and the only reason we met daily was because we had nowhere else to go. Took a good while to accept that fact (they were my "friends" for 7 or 8 years at that point, and the totality of my social life for 3-4), but when I finally did, I knew it was the right decision.

At that point I entered my hermit phase, which is still ongoing, with very brief spells. I call it a phase cause it helps deluding myself into believing it will end someday.

>> No.6908803

>>6907453
Maximum kek

>> No.6908832

>>6908651

Think about how few people actually use /lit/. It's probably a couple thousand posters, tops. From all over the world, mind you.

>> No.6908839

>>6908832
>It's probably a couple thousand posters, tops

are u srs
there is 100posters tops, and 200lurkers max on lit

>> No.6908851

>>6907428
>Rousseau
>genius

lol

>> No.6908857

>>6908705
>This isn't a true story. If it is, you must behave the same way on /lit/ as you do IRL.

>> No.6908864

>>6908797
I had a similar hermit period after I broke up with what I though was a serious relationship, my group of friends got to meet my gf and since she was pretty much like me but a moderately hot female once we broke up most of them preferred keeping up with her and not with me. I guess I don't blame them since I don't take myself as the most interesting person but it sort of hurt my capacity to expect sympathy from people. The few connection I've made to sort of get out of the hermit mode were people from college that I though were doing good work and I wanted to help or be helped by them. It's much better when you have something external to the relationship that makes you connect with people, just needing human contact ends up with horrible people that just was around you at the time.

>>6908839
daily yeah, but I'd guess that weekly we must meet at least 1k, mostly on sundays.

>> No.6908876

>>6908765

I don't but i have similar ones. She has the original. I even signed it. I felt I had nothing to lose in the situation. I hope she keeps it. I'll honestly never know. I even transcribed the entire Incident in writing in a journal of mine.

It's was all worth it. The embarrassment. I couldn't be satisfied unless I gave her the drawing.

>> No.6908886

>>6907453
>>the librarian called the roman triumvirate and says they're on their way to brand the pleb mark into my forehead
lel

>> No.6908920
File: 23 KB, 400x275, 1432977916001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6908864
I never was good with making aquaintances. Usually one gets to know people through friends, which never happened for me (circle of "friends", again, existed only cause of no one having anyone else). One detail from the story I related was that I only got in touch with people by happenstance (someone wanting a rundown of a missed lecture, or being forced by group discussions), and that keeps true for me in all situations.

The thing is, when I get forced into these situations, I tend to be funny and sociable, and even likeable if it is with strangers. I just can't bring myself to make a first step, not even when someone somewhere does something I am interested in.

I am usually obsessively into one thing at any point in time, so there is really only one external thing I could connect through, and I have found that most people don't take stuff as seriously as I do (e.g. they don't literally devote their life to that one thing), so even if I found someone that shares my interest, it usually is as useful as if we didn't share it.

And in the rare occasion I meet someone who shares my interest to a similar degree, I end up envying them for some quality.

Long story short, I am doomed to live and die as the Underground man

>> No.6908953

>>6908667
I think everyone who was into history as a kid wanted to be an archeologist.
>you'll never excavate millenia-old corpses in a scourching desert

>> No.6908986

>>6908601
what happened to the muslim though

>> No.6908999

>>6908986

I think you know, anon, I think you know.

>> No.6909018
File: 51 KB, 177x250, m.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Interesting story OP, you seem like an interesting autist, I'd like to have a conversation with you some time.

>> No.6909019

>>6908953
>you'll never fill your house with unregistered pieces that you took home to register and eventually forgot about
>you'll never enter the basement of huge museums to work on the thousands of repeated pieces they don't give a fuck about
>you'll never cry at all the stuff sold by employes of the museum that don't really give a fuck about anything
>you'll never try to get teenagers interested in vital discoveries of how human life used to be before they were born
>you'll never give a presentation explaining how the rosetta stone wasn't really more than the key to the concept of translation but not as big as people make it out to be
>you'll never be the cute bookworm that people approach for an easy catch but get spooked because of the passion that emanates from you
>you'll never have hot sex with your interns blinded by your knowledge
>you'll never get to wear those cute khaki shorts that mix with the dessert.

>> No.6909028

>reading Untergang des Abendlandes,
in university (STEM) cafè
>qt with glasses, a macbook under her arm and a coffee in the other asks if one of the chairs is free (there are four in total at each table and the other three tables also have someone sitting at them)
>I grunt a yeah, too engrossed in trying to hold all those run-on sentences in my mind simultaneously
>after about two minutes she asks me what I'm reading
>tell her the title in German
>she smiles and looks a bit puzzled, obviously doesn't know German or who Spengler is
>asks what it's about
>can't be fucked explaining, so I tell her it's a feminist analysis of workplace ethics
>uhuh
>she smiles awkwardly and leaves after a minute
>I enjoy the rest of my afternoon in peace

>> No.6909034

>>6908986
we had a facebook group for that class, and I checked out his fb profile. It was full of what I can only assume to be motivationals in arabic writing, and pictures of him and his wife in burqa. Which is funny, cause he looked like a stereotypical hipster, with a short beard and flannel shirt, skinny jean etc.

Speaking of hipsters, appendix time

>middle of semester
>talk about hipsters and their influence on contemporary art
>prof asks what are characteristics of hipsters
>answers from all over the room "gentrification", "retro chic", "stupid non-optical glasses, sometimes even only frames"
>superqt grill blushes
>is only person in room with those "glasses glasses", only a thick black frame

>> No.6909078

>>6909019
we're the same, you and i

>> No.6909112
File: 40 KB, 400x393, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be pretty nice person
>reading Man Without Qualities in a hallway at uni
>girl says "you are always reading!" to me softvoiced
>I look up and smile, make no effort to volley smalltalk
>"what is it you are reading?" she asks
>"the man without qualities" i say, looking back down at my book
>"oh cool, what is it about?"
>i look up and smile, making no effort to speak
>she seems uncomfortable
>me too but i power thru it
>keep staring and smiling
>"okay, um.. i'm sorry. i hope you enjoy your book! bye!"
>light a cigarette
>get screamed at by a professor and eventually security
>get a note from my psychiatrist
>"it was a manic break, he didnt know any better"
>no probs, bros

>> No.6909115
File: 71 KB, 498x763, Ál.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6908453
I know that feeling.
Especially because my crush makes me remember this sonnet by Álvares de Azevedo

Pálida à luz da lâmpada sombria,
Sobre o leito de flores reclinada,
Como a lua por noite embalsamada,
Entre as nuvens do amor ela dormia!

Era a virgem do mar, na escuma fria
Pela maré das águas embalada!
Era um anjo entre nuvens d'alvorada
Que em sonhos se banhava e se esquecia!

Era a mais bela! Seio palpitando...
Negros olhos as pálpebras abrindo...
Formas nuas no leito resvalando...

Não te rias de mim, meu anjo lindo!
Por ti - as noites eu velei chorando,
Por ti - nos sonhos morrerei sorrindo!

>> No.6909128

>>6909115
As a spanish speaker I enjoy reading poetry in portuguese since I can understand most of it but it takes me longer, forcing me to stop in each word while in my native tongue I would run through it. Any site where I can get classic poetry in portuguese?

>> No.6909138

>>6909128
Sadly, I have never found any...
You can find snippets of someones work if you type their name and 'Pensador'.

>> No.6909157

>>6909112
this is rude. She just was showing interest on you.

>> No.6909252

>>6909115
you dont happem to have a translation to link?

>> No.6909277

>>6908601
>occasionally google super qt's name, she's now a model or some shit

Sharing is caring

>> No.6909293

>>6909128
How similar is Spanish and Portuguese?

>> No.6909419

>>6909293
Well, when read I can understand more or less70% of it but when spoken I have a hard time follwing. I once met some portuguese kids and they could more or less understand everything I was saying, so I guess it goes both ways.

>> No.6909972

>>6909252

bump for interest

>> No.6910341

>>6907908
I know this feel.

>> No.6911142

>>6907287
I'm annoyed at you because I could see myself doing something similar. You behavior was ridiculous.

>> No.6911545

>be me, 18
>summer Christian camp
>really enjoy it with an atheist friend who was there with me
>there is a grill
>fall in love, head over heels, can't think straight or sleep
>I confess knowing she has a chad
>camp ends
>I spam her inbox and send her a story
>she clearly has no interest
>stay madly in love for the summer
>it passes, no one but her knows my spaghetti
>remember the story
>Holy fuck it is awful, self insert dystopia where I'm a super special reader who gets to be with her
>never write again

>> No.6911567

>>6907287
>Be me
>people ask me what I like to do
>"Oh, I enjoy reading and drinking tea :^)"
>they suddenly become confused as fuck
>drop spaghetti

>> No.6911581

>>6908920
Not that anon, but you are very similar to how I think and operate judging by your posts. Are you an INTJ?

>> No.6911608

ITT: Spergs lacking any common sense and thinking people are impressed by their choice of literature.

Are you guys for real?

>> No.6911623
File: 40 KB, 317x238, JakeSelfie.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6907453

>> No.6911628

>>6908744
Wait, the last bit is confusing to me
>she becomes too shocked
>asks for my name and shakes my hand
>starts walking away without looking up or saying a word
>said "goodbye" as I walked away
So, did she walk away? and then you started walking away as she said ''goodbye''? Or did you hand her the thing, and after the handshake walk away?

>> No.6911641

>We were basically an irl 4chan, that is, a circle of "friends" that are friends with each other because of not having any others.

Right in the feels, even if I'm pretty normie with a large group of friends.

>> No.6911647

>>6908839
Nah, polls alone have shown way more.

>> No.6911654

>>6908920
I'm the same man...

>> No.6911656

>>6911581
Not that guy but I'm an INTJ and I can relate. That was my life for pretty much my entire adolescence and my early adulthood.

Then some cool people that I kind of knew took interest in me for no reason I can figure out and a qt3.14 legitimately threw herself at me to the point even I couldn't mess it up and now I've got cool friends that really connect with and am in a loving long-term relationship.

tl;dr: there's hope, but only if you get really lucky.

>> No.6911685

>meet girl
>start talking about how we both write
>I tell her I write literary fiction
>she says she writes fantasy and asks if I could look at her work and give her some pointers
>read her work
>its better than mine
>its even more literary than mine

>> No.6911700
File: 1003 B, 122x92, 38-PenelopeDetermined.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6911685
Give her the D.

>> No.6911717
File: 241 KB, 1180x1204, 6d4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>one day my friend invites me to his friend's party
>i normally don't go to them since i usually don't know anyone but i say yes
>drive to the house and show up alone
>"anon! what are you doing here?" says one of the few people i know
>around school i'm known as an intellectual/studious type despite the fact i drink/smoke/have sex like any other degenerate
>mill around my friend since the guy bringing the alcohol hasn't come yet
>the guy finally arrives and he turns out to be a really good friend of mine, people are surprised when they see us catching up
>everyone starts taking shots in the kitchen, i go in there and wait
>see qt brunette with dark, deep eyes sitting down texting, doesn't seem like anyone's talking to her
>take 12 shots before i muster the courage to talk to her
>don't remember how but i start dancing with her
>introduce myself
>"Hi, I'm anon. I'm interested in literature and philosophy."
>cringe.jpg
>drunkenly kiss her hand
>tell her she's attractive because she's reserved
>cringe_2.jpg
>to make this all worse she was a designated driver; she was sober this entire time
>don't remember much aside from the fact she left
>i throw up and stay the night, the next day she adds me on facebook
>apologize for hitting on her
>says it's alright, asks if it was true I was into literature
>say yes
>apparently she's into reading and writing
>tfw
>we start messaging each other and eventually she asks to read a short story i told her i'd written while high a week or two ago
>send it to her
>"it's really good"
>all further conversation seems forced
>doesn't seem too interested in talking
>conversation dies out completely
>tfw literary qt turns you down for not being a patrician-tier writer

I ended up running into her once again, but this time was very autistic. I reveal my power level when I'm drunk enough.

>> No.6911730

>>6911717
>mill around my friend since the guy bringing the alcohol hasn't come yet

life in america must be hell

>> No.6911737

>>6911717
Saw this posted like half a year ago.
But than again I repost my uninteresting story nobody replies to every time we have a thread like this.

>> No.6911739

>>6911700
Nah. She's a Christfag, no thank you.

>> No.6911749
File: 67 KB, 432x288, 1289030754451.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6907453

>> No.6911752

>>6908600
>Well, you clearly have a lot of background on the subject
It's sad. People are so shallow and dumb that whenever you actually think about something and comment, they immediately deduce that you must have deep knowledge and/or firm opinions on the matter.

>> No.6911754

>>6911737

I'm guilty, yes.

Which one is yours, anon?

>> No.6911755

>>6908671
As a copy writer with a degree in cultural studies, I am cynical about life in general and the humanities in particular, but I like your post.

>> No.6911758

>>6907411
Is Barnes and Nobles to /lit/ what GameStop is to /v/?

>> No.6911760
File: 8 KB, 472x325, impressed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6907453
>Harold Bloom repels from the skylight in the ceiling

>> No.6911762

>>6908920
>The thing is, when I get forced into these situations, I tend to be funny and sociable, and even likeable if it is with strangers. I just can't bring myself to make a first step, not even when someone somewhere does something I am interested in.
Damn, I'm like this too, except I'm not really autistic, I'm just either too tired or too drunk to make small talk. Or, not drunk enough, I guess.

>> No.6911765
File: 40 KB, 105x157, whyamihere.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6908920
This is spot-on for me.

Such is the life of a habitual loner.

>> No.6911771

>>6911739
That makes her the ultimate patrician wife, marry her as fast as possible.

>> No.6911778

This one >>6911545 is mine anon
>>6911754

>> No.6911793
File: 13 KB, 400x449, 1414827981265.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>have dream where I'm happy (I'd rather not describe what happened in it)
>sad when I wake up, try to go back to sleep to go back, can't
>spend every night for the next month trying to return there in my sleep, can't
>spend every day for the next month trying to rewrite the dream from memory, but its fading
>still have the attempts, over a hundred pages written in stream of conscious

I still miss it.

>> No.6911808
File: 15 KB, 224x225, 1432775014243.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6911778

Think you could post an excerpt?

>> No.6911825

>>6911808
Not only is it amazingly horrible, I've had three rows of describing her eyes and the plot was terrible and I'm ashamed of how bad it is and it isn't in English. Also not sure if I still have the file.
Oh and I also sent the thing to her, Christ.
It was my first real crush so I guess it makes sense, especially when you are a 2.5/10 who has never even kissed a girl.

>> No.6911834
File: 64 KB, 400x606, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I often wonder if I'm the only non sperg cunt on 4chan

>> No.6911937

>>6911825

Don't be so hard on yourself anon! No one looks bad if they're confident, dressed well, and have good personal hygiene.

>> No.6911956
File: 1.47 MB, 320x240, Well Played Sir.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6907453
Ah good, I can close the thread, having now seen it reach its peak.

>> No.6911965

>>6911834
>posts picture of Arkan
>not a sperg
Sorry to have to break it to you...

>> No.6911982

>>6911937
I beg to differ, some faces are beyond help. Bodies can need serious workout.
I need workout. About 10 kg too much.

>> No.6912111

>>6911762
Being drunk is a 50/50 for me. Either I am the life of the party, or I am lecturing people about the virtue of the metaphysical suicide.

>>6911581
yeah, I'm INTJ

>> No.6912275

>>6907428
But anon the general will was tied to the iconoclasm and revolutionary destruction in France in a way other enlightenment concepts were not

>> No.6912298

Wow, you guys have really boring lives.

>> No.6912309

>>6912298
lmao tbh i feel the same way bro, hit some e before fucking a 10/10 is the life

>> No.6912317
File: 62 KB, 480x720, 1437753277088.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Everytime I'm reading in public I secretly hope a cute girl will be impressed by my choice of literature and approach me
>I'm aware how incredibly pathetic the hope is
>I'm aware it will literally never happen
>I'm aware it reduces my literary explorations to posturing and pitiful attention whoring
>I still hope every single time I pull out a book I will be approached

Just fuck my shit up

>> No.6912318

>>6907287
nah

>> No.6912337

>>6912317
Make the switch to e-reader, the literary mans option. Then maybe your posturing will fall in line.

>> No.6912347

>>6912337
Yeah I guess that could work, thanks.

>> No.6912364

>reveal power level when drunk

>usually involves socratic assholery by disagreeing with the opinions of anyone who will entertain discussion

>one day a southern baptist girl is meekly talking about her religion as to why she isn't drinking that much

>drunk anon decides this is a good opportunity to explain how protestant justification is theologically unfounded and the importance of sacred tradition

>begin talking about chesterton and sacraments, I called a few people heretics and I'm not even religious

>now people think I'm some closeted ardent Christian

>don't know how to explain how I'm sometimes ironically aethetically Catholic due to image board threads without sounding more autistic

Thanks /lit/

>> No.6912389

>>6908671

LOL. You're just a dog pissing on your territory. I'm not even a HIstorian. This disciplinary turf wars are getting pretty tedious tbh.

>> No.6912406

>>6908744

that isn't even that spergy,if anythithing she was the one acting odd

>> No.6912430

>>6908638
Tfw when sociology major and beat all the historian in philosophy of history class.

>> No.6912434

>>6911567

It's totally okay to say that, don't worry. Most of the awkwardness was probably in your head-

>> No.6912443

>>6912317
Try approaching girls who read instead. And like other anon said, an e reader is useful for reading in public

>> No.6912463

>>6908600
>Christian who goes to community college thinks he's better than the class he's taking
o i am laffin

>> No.6912483

>>6912364
..are you me?

How do I overcome Socratic assholery

>> No.6912488

>>6912443
I'm a coward, though. Also they'll probably be reading some modern pulp fiction and I won't know what to say.

>> No.6912548

>>6912483

Just ignore it, anon. Go to your happy place where people always have perfectly logical arguments and no one talks about shit they don't know.

>> No.6912608

>>6908876
Tbh she probably liked it, anon. Being given something that's more or less a work of art, doesn't oozes weird stuff (inb4 mutilated corpses are not art), and doesn't depict you in a rapey way is generally pleasant.

>> No.6912620

>>6909028
Well handled situation, anon. I'm proud of you.

>> No.6912654

>>6911717
This one hit me the hardest for some reason.
Perhaps because of the part where it turns out you're not even good at the hobby you sperg about. Strikes too close.

>> No.6912670

>>6911793
>I'd rather not describe what happened in it

I smell incest or pedo or something worse (mlp fantasy, being a Tolkienian Elf), which would explain why you haven't tried to make the dream happen irl.
>>6911825
Pretty much any kind of sperging at your first crush is okay, anon, unless it involves other people seeing or coming in contact with your sperm against their will.

>> No.6912676

>>6907428
>Liking Rousseau
That was your first mistake, anon.

>> No.6912678

>>6912670

What if you came inside a condom which you then immediately threw away? After raping your oneitis, that is. Would that be okay? I'm not sure.

>> No.6912684

>>6912298
>thread about /lit autism
>people itt have boring lives

What did you expect ? Anon riding a tropical river-cruising sea-tank alongside Feelscheneger with a rocket launcher in one hand, a copy of Ulysses in the other, and telling to Feelsy: "I never thought existential anguish could be this fun, Arnold" ?

>> No.6912690

>>6912678
There's no crime if there is no evidence :^)

>> No.6912729

>>6912684

yes tbh

>> No.6912764

>>6911793
Describe it, you coward.

>> No.6912862

LOL @ betas not having an intimidating presence that makes women, children, and short men outside of your immediate group of friends and family afraid to interact with you

>> No.6913209

>>6912862
>Thinks women avoid interacting with him because hes "intimidating"

Kek

>> No.6913214

>>6912463
I was actually attending a program to become a forester but because the program is run by a community college they make you take a few electives on top of your field-related courses. It was stupid, but, the courses were easy.

>> No.6913277

>>6911834
tfw still can't get the arkanovi tigrovi song out of my head

>> No.6913580

>>6911717
why did you need to tell us about how your social life was or catching up with the guy who brings the alcohol or that the guy who invited you wasn't there? you clearly are a bad writer if you can't understand the structure and format of the medium you're using.

>> No.6913586

>>6911758
people tried to make it at some point, but not really.

>> No.6913607

>>6912317
>>6912443
yeah, aproach girsl reading so they can tell you how obnoxious it is to be interrupted because someone assumed you were posturing and not actually reading.

>> No.6913617

>>6912364
Just explain that you find catholicism funny and interesting, that's what I do. It helps talking about different religions too.

>>6912483
By reading more Plato. Socrates rarely was an asshole unless you really force your interpretations and most of the time people talked to him first. You're just a contrarian show off, it's not the same.

>> No.6913622

>>6911793
i fell half asleep listening to a lecture on structural linguistics and i had a dream about the original of language and the transition from no language to language, it was so clear, like it was exactly how language began....but instead of writing it down immediately i tried to explain to somehow who didn't care and wasn't listening and it faded away, i still sort of remember it but not as clearly...it's like when you're on acid and you understand things about the universe that you just can't get your head around when you're not tripping...pisses me off man.

>> No.6913626

>>6912608
>>6908876
Once a guy, a complete stranger, gave me a portrait he had made without me noticing and it felt incredibly stalkerish and made me very selfconscious for months.

>> No.6913628

>Waiting before a class, reading on the hall
>Girl I have some classes in common approaches, asks what it is
>An essay on neurology
>"Ah, cool"
>Walks away

I was actually glad she went away, I was really enthralled with the essay and didn't want to be interrupted.

>> No.6913630

>>6913622
pro tip: you can't explain them or remember them because they don't actually make sense, your brain just skips the parts that don't connect and everything seems logical and correct.

>> No.6913639

>>6913628
chicks ask me what i'm reading all the time and it never leads to anything. you just feel like a sperg when they're like "uh ok sounds cool bye"

>> No.6913645

>>6913630
it doesn't make sense because it's outside of the way we categorize our experiences, when you're on acid you don't have to put everything into a box the way you have to normally

>> No.6913654

>>6913645
that sounds like a cheap excuse, if we have to train ourselves to be better at categorizing it means we have different degrees of that tendency, but still it's always the same with dreams and acid trips. I think it make much more sense that the incomplete experience that you recall is what you had, but your brain wasn't capable at the time to recognize all the jumps in logic you were doing. It's like comparing the why your ideas flow when waiting for the bus with a narration, just because it worked in your head it doesn't mean it will be interesting to read or that it will make any sense.

>> No.6913663

>>6913645
the stuff that can't be put into a category or compared against a previous experience is discarded.

>> No.6913671
File: 659 KB, 3264x2448, IMG_2427.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6912317
Protip: It is not only more visible and effective, but also much much easier to just take the bait book with you and put it open on the coffee shop table next to whatever you do.

I've pulled girls from there, reading textbooks. (Let's be honest, from about 100 girls I talked to, I had 7 dates or so and fucked one.): And (unless they were waitresses there) I don't recall any of them starting the conversation.

>> No.6913676

>>6913654
the funny thing tho is some of the greatest lit of the 20th century read like dreams so trying to have a narrative that "makes sense" may lose something, sort of like discarding anything that can't fit into the scientific method as "unscientific" etc.

>> No.6913688

>>6913676
>>6913654

Pretty sure Nietzche wrote about how every man is an artist through his dream production (or maybe it was Herman Hesse)

>> No.6913711

>>6913639
Word. There's truly no possible outcome there where one doesn't end up feeling like a sperg, as far as I've experienced.

>>6908920
Well, it seems like there's quite a bunch of us, together at being lonely.

>> No.6913760
File: 77 KB, 640x480, Foto 42.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6913711
(I am >>6913671)
>There's truly no possible outcome there where one doesn't end up feeling like a sperg, as far as I've experienced.
If the book is odd or obscure itself, say -why- you read it. List a bunch of related interests and see where she hooks. Secondly, use the topic to flip it on her. "Why do you not read" / "what do you (not) like about" / "What kind of books do you" ...

>> No.6913772

>>6913760
THIS
IF a person you're interested in starts a conversation and you want it to keep going you need to actually interact with them. Give them something to answer, either ask about them or bring up elements that are open to the other person to give an opinion on. Of course that if you take the effort to start a conversation and they answer you in a single sentence and shut up you'll assume you're bothering them and leave. It is VERY spergy to expect them to keep going at you when you shut the off.

>> No.6913781

>>6913617

>Socrates rarely was an asshole

No. He was a complete asshole. He's possibly the only man in history who got killed because he was such an asshole.

>> No.6913811

>>6913781
The people he discussed with didn't see it that way, you are inserting your own reaction somewhere that has no space for it. He had friends to whom he spoke the same way he did to his enemies. Just because you would had taken him as an asshole it doesn't mean that he was being one, he was just being greek.

>> No.6913825

>>6913760
>>6913772
You both are right. Never gonna apply it probably since so far I've always wanted to be left to my reading, and I don't think that will be changing soon, but can't deny it comes across as spergy everytime it happens, and tought it fitting with the spirit of the thread.

>>6913760
Yo también juego magic de vez en cuando, tengo un grupo de amigos con el que nos gustan esas cosas de ñoño.

>> No.6913828

>>6908561
false

>> No.6913833

>>6913825
Te iba a preguntar por qué de repente le contestaste a ese anon en castellano hasta que noté que la imagen se llamaba Foto. Muy buen ojo, kudos.

>> No.6913870

>>6913277
Četnik

>> No.6913919 [DELETED] 
File: 59 KB, 640x426, Foto am 17.07.15 um 19.39 #3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6913825
>>6913833
OP said he was obsessed with a trading card game. I guess it was magic and I also played, semi-professionally (meaning I traveled to Italy, Amsterdam and what have you for tournaments).

Also, you got the wrong language, I'm not from Spain.

>>6913772
Depending on their reaction and how you actually think they feel, I'd be not so straight with letting go. I hardly got a real bad response - and even if, you don't have to lose anything anyway. The first response is basically set in stone - the initial behavior of the girl you approach will be more or less similar for whoever approaches her (e.g. if she's in a pissed unresponsive mood, everybody would have a harder time with her).
And I want to emphasis that asking question after question is maybe that what makes it weird. Use what you get for an answer. And a sentence like ``the dog plays the piano'' has 3 directions to talk to: dogs, playing instrument, pianos. When given an implicit judgement, ask ``why'' she thinks that way.
If you're in a conversation and you feel like running out of text, think if you maybe need to talk at all. If the answer is still yes, and you just don't know reasonable topics, use the environment, or use it for associations in of events in the past, or consider events in the future.
Getting fluid with not sperging out is just practice. If people like OP are literally afraid what would happen if they meet the prof in private because they don't know what to do, and would like to improve that, then just talking with old grannies on the street can get you of this. Give random people a complement. Don't be afraid to tell strangers you like their shoes. You'll see people like it.
Then, approach a girl with the confidence you would have if she just dropped her wallet and you noticed, picked it up and want to give it to her. Clearly, she will love you spoke to her about it.

>> No.6913928
File: 59 KB, 640x426, Foto3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6913825
>>6913833
OP said he was obsessed with a trading card game. I guess it was magic and I also played, semi-professionally (meaning I traveled to Italy, Amsterdam and what have you for tournaments).

Also, you got the wrong language, I'm not from Spain.

>>6913772
Depending on their reaction and how you actually think they feel, I'd be not so straight with letting go. I hardly got a real bad response - and even if, you don't have to lose anything anyway. Socializing with strangers can be kind of a sport/game.
The first response is basically set in stone - the initial behavior of the girl you approach will be more or less similar for whoever approaches her (e.g. if she's in a pissed unresponsive mood, everybody would have a harder time with her).

And I want to emphasis that asking question after question is maybe that what makes it weird. Use what you get for an answer. There are always 1000 options. A sentence like ``the dog plays the piano'' has 3 directions to talk to: dogs, playing instrument, pianos.
Or when given an implicit judgement, ask ``why'' she thinks that way.
If you're in a conversation and you feel like running out of text, think if you maybe need to talk at all. If the answer is still yes, and you just don't know reasonable topics, use the environment, or use it for associations in of events in the past, or consider events in the future.
Getting fluid with not sperging out is just practice. If people like OP are literally afraid what would happen if they meet the prof in private because they don't know what to do, and would like to improve that, then just talking with old grannies on the street can get you of this. Give random people a complement. Don't be afraid to tell strangers you like their shoes. You'll see people like it.
Then, approach a girl with the confidence you would have if she just dropped her wallet and you noticed, picked it up and want to give it to her. Clearly, she will love you spoke to her about it.

>> No.6914217

>>6909419
That shit bothers me with a passion. I'm portuguese and I can understand pretty much everything in spanish spoken or written. When I talk with anyone spanish they seem to refuse to understand. Its like it works one way but not in the other

>> No.6914250

>>6913639
Me too, and I always say 'a book' and then they remember that I'm an unfunny, antisocial asshole and they walk away.

>> No.6914313

>>6914217
It takes getting used to it, when reading I have to slow down a lot and when hearing I'm pretty much like a little child trying to fill in gaps and go through context more than anything.

>> No.6914353

>>6912729
I wish I could make that greentext happen for you anon. Oh, I wish.

>> No.6914386

>>6913928
Good advice.

>> No.6914387
File: 2.36 MB, 1311x1800, Roman_-_Portrait_of_the_Emperor_Marcus_Aurelius_-_Walters_23215.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6912483
By being more like Marcus Aurelius
>not trying to always keep the Meditations in mind
>not trying to always stay watchful of your thoughts and actions
>"About what am I now employing my own soul? On every occasion I must ask myself this question, and inquire, what have I now in this part of me which they call the ruling principle? And whose soul have I now? That of a child, or of a young man, or of a feeble woman, or of a tyrant, or of a domestic animal, or of a wild beast?"
>"When thou hast been compelled by circumstances to be disturbed in a manner, quickly return to thyself and do not continue out of tune longer than the compulsion lasts; for thou wilt have more mastery over the harmony by continually recurring to it."

As for being drunk, don't get so drunk you can't control yourself. Never overindulge.

>> No.6914418
File: 16 KB, 177x252, DARUMA-250-15th-Century-by-Shokei-Kyoto-Nanzeji-Temple.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6914387
>trying
be as the snow falling off the bamboo leaf, anon

>> No.6914454
File: 51 KB, 355x413, 1356955352332.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6912654

>> No.6914465
File: 1.67 MB, 3256x2336, roman-art-final.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6914418
>be as the snow falling off the bamboo leaf
Isn't the saying that we're the leaf and the snow is emotions? Or are you saying we should follow our emotions like hedonists?
>"Take away thy opinion, and then there is taken away the complaint, "I have been harmed." Take away the complaint, "I have been harmed," and the harm is taken away.""
>"Be like the promontory against which the waves continually break, but it stands firm and tames the fury of the water around it."
>"No joining others in their wailing, no violent emotion."
One of my favorites:
>"Theophrastus, in his comparison of bad acts- such a comparison as one would make in accordance with the common notions of mankind- says, like a true philosopher, that the offences which are committed through desire are more blameable than those which are committed through anger. For he who is excited by anger seems to turn away from reason with a certain pain and unconscious contraction; but he who offends through desire, being overpowered by pleasure, seems to be in a manner more intemperate and more womanish in his offences. Rightly then, and in a way worthy of philosophy, he said that the offence which is committed with pleasure is more blameable than that which is committed with pain; and on the whole the one is more like a person who has been first wronged and through pain is compelled to be angry; but the other is moved by his own impulse to do wrong, being carried towards doing something by desire."

>> No.6914473

>>6914465
not the anon you quoted but the quote clearly means to be as the action of the snow falling: effortless. How, though idk.

>> No.6914482

>>6908748
Surround yourself by other autists. It works surprisingly well, in my experience.

>> No.6914495

>>6914473
It's an actual saying:
>"Snow falls onto the bamboo leaf. Snow falls off of the bamboo leaf."
That's why I asked. What he wrote isn't that saying. Unless he "made up" what he wrote in the post to mean what you just wrote, I think he got it wrong.

>> No.6914499

>>6914465
>It is all so simple. You can learn from an ordinary bamboo leaf what ought to happen. It bends lower and lower under the weight of snow. Suddenly the snow slips to the ground without the leaf having stirred. Stay like that at the point of highest tension until the shot falls from you. So, indeed, it is; when the tension is fulfilled, the shot must fall, it must fall from the archer like snow from a bamboo leaf, before he even thinks it."

— Zen in the Art of Archery

when I was a child I would play with twigs and sticks. I would bend them further and further and feel the tension build and build and I would try to find the very edge of the snap and wait there and wait until the twig snapped of itself without my having to apply any more pressure at all

>> No.6914520

>>6914499
>>6914495
so is this whole leaf conversation talking about knowing your limits when drinking or mastering the harmony of your soul?

i don't see how it could be the later when staying in a mental state that isn't "thyself" until it leaves on its own is simply doing nothing to fix anything and sounds like it would lead to psychological damage, the opposite of what the quote was saying.

>> No.6914533

>>6914520
>>6914499
>"The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. The others- the living- are those who pushed their luck as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later."

-Thompson

>> No.6914552
File: 59 KB, 500x330, ugly man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6911982
>some faces are beyond help
This man just had his eighth child with his second wife. You can do it, anon! Fight!

>> No.6914565

>>6914520
it is about cutting away all pretensions, it's about leaving struggle and flowering into effortless art. It's about allowing things to happen of themselves, about knowing and trusting yourself as the world to see to what needs to be seen without wasted movement.

it is falling, and breaking, and growing

I am drinking but I am not quite drunk and I am alone but there is a silent man behind the other wall and the sun will rise tomorrow

>> No.6914572

>>6912684
>What did you expect ? Anon riding a tropical river-cruising sea-tank alongside Feelscheneger with a rocket launcher in one hand, a copy of Ulysses in the other, and telling to Feelsy: "I never thought existential anguish could be this fun, Arnold" ?

I'm saving this and using it out of context when people say something stupid.

>> No.6914582

>>6914552
she looks so happy
>yfw she was probably raped out of wedlock causing her to be ostracized by her community and was only able to be accepted by this hideous beast

>> No.6914591

>>6912862
>have a strong presence
>still autismal
Those are probably interrelated, but really, it's only the former when I'm in my element, which I'm seldom in and easily taken out of.

>> No.6914595

>>6914565
I don't have binocular vision so I can't read very well and I can't obtain proper perspective on visual media (painting, camera angles, etc.). I'm too poor to obtain the musical instruments I need to create music. My voice was injured years ago and can't be fixed so I can't sing either.

How do I effortless art?

>> No.6914604

>>6914582
>she looks so happy
you're fucking with me, yeah? she looks absolutely horrified, like she's doing her best to hide intense nausea

>> No.6914619
File: 6 KB, 233x251, house.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6914604
pls be bait

>> No.6914620

>>6913825
Comó usted sabe él habló español? No texto es en una imagen.

My Spanish is shit, so sorry if that's unintelligible.

>> No.6914650

>>6914619
I didn't actually read that guy's post beyond "looks so happy" until now, forgive my delinquent sarcasmometer

>> No.6914661

>>6914595
I already told you you fucking mong, you expect me to waste time lecturing a fool, get fukt

>> No.6914908
File: 24 KB, 236x330, bea98459615dd02608ce4d39b4cbf19e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6907287
Similar experience, OP.

>be in intro course
>small class size
>about half a dozen people
>be a few years older than classmates
>about the same age as the instructor
>grad student
>do well in the class initially
>make favorable first impression
>some of the kids and I chat some
>talk with instructor now and again
>cute girl sits next to me
>the tension is almost too much
>go almost the entire semester without saying a word to one another
>do talk some near the end of the semester
>doubt I was forward enough and she took that as lack of interest
>not sure
>during beginning, maybe middle, of the semester, instructor mentions something about wishing we--the class--could talk over drinks, and something else about the campus bar
>she seemed, then, to have eyes for me
>none of classmates of age
>stay silent, paralyzed with anxieties, while it passes over
Not directly related but...
>quit attending class regularly after a while
>grades plummeted
>when I went to class, I'd be a blowhard, say things, not because they were relevant, but to show myself as knowledgeable, or otherwise to derail the lectures and discussions.
>pretty sure she and classmates abhorred me by the end of the semester

>> No.6915076

>be in class
>instructor plays clip from film
>gives interpretation of clip
>just parroting The Pervert's Guide to Cinema
>same clip
>same spiel
>accuse him of plagiarism
>attack his teaching methods
>when I'm displeased with my grades, accuse him of grading according to his preferences for the opinions in my work rather than for their technical aspects
>say he is biased against me on account of me confronting him about parroting Zizek, as well as other gripes I made.

>> No.6915431

>>6908548

That's right, though, they should have said contemporary internet. The internet is chronologically modern as an invention but current or contemporary would have been a better descriptor.

>> No.6915675

>>6908797
What game?

Also I feel you about the hermit phase thing bro. The summer after I dropped out of school (failed every class that semester because I stopped going, but was careful none of my friends/roommates knew although looking back they probably did) I moved back in with my parents and didn't let any one know, not old hs friends or local card game friends or even any friends I had in college. I kind of just fell off the face of the earth cut contact with everyone. Worked a shitty job for a few weeks then quit to travel around the US camping out of my car in national parks for as long as I could. After 3 weeks I got bored of wandering around western montana aimlessly (and also ran out of $) and came home. I talked up the trip as this big thing before heading out and was disappointed in myself for how it went, i tried to literally drive away from my anxieties but (suprise!) they followed me wherever i went. Then I was pretty depressed and barely left my parents house for about 3 months. Then I got bored of shitposting all day and started reading and doing bodyweight exercises and playing guitar more before getting a shitty warehouse job because Christmas was coming up and i realized I had no money to get anything for my parents/siblings and I felt guilty. That was last Christmas and I'm still at the same place although I'm thinking about leaving soon even though there kinda promoting me (more responsibility, no raise ew). I'm able to pay for my own car to get fixed, help my family with buying groceries and driving kids places, have paid off my tuition I still owed when I failed out of school, and I'm currently saving up for a new guitar. Despite all these improvements (I'm much better than I was a year ago) I was still pretty much hermit mode never going out, avoiding old friends etc up until about a month ago. One of my old card game buddies got in touch with me and found out that I've been around but haven't been up to anything and started inviting me out to concerts, sets, and other activities when he's in the studio as he's a sound engineer now.

Idk I'm gonna stop now cause nice blog etc but ya I'm not sure where I was going with this other than
>iktfb

>> No.6915980

>meet qt in English class
>dark wavy hair in a bob, long legs,etc
>get chatting one day before class
>ask what her favourite poets are
>"Maya Angelou, Langston Hughes"
>immediately decapitate her

>> No.6916039

>>6908744
Oh god, that reminds me of a time I wrote my college barista a Valentine's Day card I accidentally dipped in coffee. She told me she had a boyfriend.

Oh my God remembering

>> No.6916246

>>6914520
The leaf thing is basically one of the things Aurelius also writes about. Don't let emotions take control over you (the two quotes in >>6914387). That's it.
You're asking about "limits when drinking", that was in regards to the guy being "a Socratic asshole" when drunk. Overindulgence is also something Aurelius wrote about. I can't find the exact passage, but it's about how you shouldn't lose yourself to excessive pleasure and be modest in all things, since, you know, stay in control et cetera.
>"How many pleasures have been enjoyed by robbers, patricides, tyrants."

>when staying in a mental state that isn't "thyself" until it leaves on its own is simply doing nothing to fix anything and sounds like it would lead to psychological damage
Do you not understand the concept of not reacting to your emotions? I'll give you an example: Someone you know always says a certain phrase or says something in a certain way, which annoys you. It shouldn't annoy you. You shouldn't lash out to that person or try to argue. It shouldn't bother you at all; cue all of the countless passages about how your life is short and how much time there is behind you and after you and how caring about something so little is meaningless.
>"Art thou angry with him whose armpits stink? Art thou angry with him whose mouth smells foul? What good will this danger do thee? He has such a mouth, he has such arm-pits: it is necessary that such an emanation must come from such things- but the man has reason, it will be said, and he is able, if he takes pain, to discover wherein he offends- I wish thee well of thy discovery. Well then, and thou hast reason: by thy rational faculty stir up his rational faculty; show him his error, admonish him. For if he listens, thou wilt cure him, and there is no need of anger. Neither tragic actor nor whore..."

>> No.6916430

>>6914620
Because the picture was named "Foto". It wasn't Spanish however, but German; they have some other words in common as well, which in cases like this, might lead to a small confusion.

Your phrase should be written:

Cómo sabe usted que él habla Español? No es texto, es una imagen. (or perhaps you meant to say: No hay textos en la imagen).

(In case you care about having it right).

>> No.6916452

>>6913580

To build pathos and a persona anons could project themselves upon.

>> No.6916543

>>6908453
>even though it was totally hopeless after greeting my book instead of her
THAT was how you were autistic, not the other shit. The other shit's relatively normal, honestly.

>> No.6916583
File: 68 KB, 570x428, careful.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So it looks like a lot of people here can relate to each other on an intimate level. If anyone here feels like getting to know each other a bit better and stay in touch for longer than the lifetime of this thread: I've created us an IRC channel. It's probably going to be awkward, but it's worth a shot. I've created #/lit/feels on irc.rizon.net

If you aren't using an IRC client, just open this website: http://qchat.rizon.net/?randomnick=1&channels=/lit/feels&uio=MTY9bnVsbAe6

>> No.6916602

>>6914499
that's like when i'm jacking it an about to blow my load but i wanna find something good to shoot it to so i keep edging and edging but before i manage to find something ideal i always end up blowing it anyway

>> No.6918561

>>6916430
Yeah, i meant "No hay textos en la imagen"

I took three years of Spanish in high school, and haven't used it much in the past year. I want to be conversational in it, and at least good enough to read Spanish lit untranslated. French, Greek, and Japanese are next, for similar reasons (and /a/ shit).

>> No.6918568

>>6918561
I forgot to thank >>6916430. Thank you.

>> No.6918646

>>6916583
it's got to be better than the tinychat nonsense

>> No.6918821

>>6916583

>Well, it [my autobiography] puts forth my stoicism
> And I'm more or less emulating a Dutch writer you've never heard of

cringe.jpg