[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 24 KB, 415x315, atticus_finch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6889379 No.6889379 [Reply] [Original]

So Atticus became a Klan member? I can't say I'm surprised after reading the first book.

>> No.6889394
File: 3 KB, 125x94, 1438031948296s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i like you OP

>> No.6889449

No, he goes to a meeting to get the town's opinion on the election/understand the town's mentality on the election. Isn't a member.

>> No.6889469

>>6889449
This.

He's hardly GTKRWN-tier racist.

>> No.6890993
File: 184 KB, 600x818, 1436855968512.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Her father cleared his throat. “Listen, Scout, you’re upset by having seen me doing something you think is wrong, but I’m trying to make you understand my position. Desperately trying. This is merely for your own information, that’s all: so far in my experience, white is white and black’s black. So far, I’ve not yet heard an argument that has convinced me otherwise. I’m seventy-two years old, but I’m still open to suggestion.
>“Now think about this. What would happen if all the Negroes in the South were suddenly given full civil rights? I’ll tell you. There’d be another Reconstruction. Would you want your state governments run by people who don’t know how to run ’em? Do you want this town run by—now wait a minute—Willoughby’s a crook, we know that, but do you know of any Negro who knows as much as Willoughby? Zeebo’d probably be Mayor of Maycomb. Would you want someone of Zeebo’s capability to handle the town’s money? We’re outnumbered, you know.
>“Honey, you do not seem to understand that the Negroes down here are still in their childhood as a people. You should know it, you’ve seen it all your life. They’ve made terrific progress in adapting themselves to white ways, but they’re far from it yet. They were coming along fine, traveling at a rate they could absorb, more of ’em voting than ever before. Then the NAACP stepped in with its fantastic demands and shoddy ideas of government—can you blame the South for resenting being told what to do about its own people by people who have no idea of its daily problems?
>“The NAACP doesn’t care whether a Negro man owns or rents his land, how well he can farm, or whether or not he tries to learn a trade and stand on his own two feet—oh no, all the NAACP cares about is that man’s vote.
>“So, can you blame the South for wanting to resist an invasion by people who are apparently so ashamed of their race they want to get rid of it?
>“How can you have grown up here, led the kind of life you’ve led, and can only see someone stomping on the Tenth Amendment? Jean Louise, they’re trying to wreck us—where have you been?”

>> No.6891050

>>6890993
wow this writing is shit

>> No.6891058

why would they even release this, how strange

>> No.6891063

>>6890993
>muh paternalism
>>6891050
These ideas are called 'scientific racism', people legitimately believed Black people were biologically incapable of complex thought, the US Army was reluctant to engage its Coloured Units in WW2 because they believed they would not be capable of the rapid decision making and complexity of combat
And this 'papa knows best' attitude was used as a rationale for segregation and jim crow

>> No.6891065

>>6890993
>don't educate people
>insist these people are ignorant and can't do anything and must be denied their rights because of this