[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 15 KB, 244x300, Michel Foucault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6873372 No.6873372 [Reply] [Original]

I bought Madness and Civilisation today after reading a bit about Foucault and how excellent of a writer and theorist he was. This is my very first philosophy book and I'm not very far into it yet. The vocabulary used within the text is quite dense and I'm wondering: How best to understand his theory and writing? I can work past the English used, as I'm not stupid. But so far I understand the only the general idea of his theory in that the 'madmen' of society throughout history have not been well understood and treated poorly by those in power (I'm honestly not even sure if my generalisation is correct).

Do you find his work a breeze to get through or are you slightly stumped too, /lit/?

>> No.6873444

youre a fucking idiot mate should've started witht eh greeks you won't understand anything

>> No.6873466

>>6873444
How so?
Surely older =/= more simplistic.

>> No.6873548

>>6873466
According a friend I have that studies philosophy, you'll understand better the modern philosophical ideals if you study first what influenced these philosophers to what they're thinking.