[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 159 KB, 445x557, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6837694 No.6837694 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /lit/

So I'm moving to America pretty soon, and I was checking out books to buy on Amazon so I can get them with free shipping when I'm there. The problem is, they're really fucking expensive. I try and read most stuff by downloading ePubs, but there's a list of books I made that I wanted a physical copy of I was planning to buy.

Anyways, so would it cost more or less to buy it from a bookstore in America (specifically Boston) compared to Amazon? What about used books?

>> No.6837709

Amazon is always cheaper new
Used it's a toss-up

I personally buy my books from used bookstores unless it's rare or foreign language

>> No.6837815
File: 364 KB, 1500x1000, beaconhill.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6837694
New, Amazon is usually good. Since you're moving to Boston, however, I'll give you some local recommendations.
Raven Used Books in Harvard Square has cheap used copies of everything you could expect a Harvard student or professor to own.
The Harvard Bookstore has a good membership program and holds events with high-profile authors of all kinds.
Check your neighborhood in addition to scoping out the places above. Boston is loaded with interesting bookstores. People here (excluding the townies) tend to be well educated and well read.
>pic related: best neighborhood