[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 821 KB, 1920x2560, IMG_20150711_103524.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6808635 No.6808635 [Reply] [Original]

I know everyone always thinks these are troll threads but I am actually very interested in what people think about this book.

>> No.6808647

>>6808635

I've always wondered who owned the bizarre house that Navidson, his brother and the cop go into, then again I think it could be a manifestation of Johnny Truant's psyche into the material world since a lot of people got abandoned and isolated in the spooky house and Johnny himself was abandoned and alienated a lot.

>> No.6808663

I thought it was good

I did not think it was as good as it thought it was, nor did it become as good as I thought it was going to be. The beginning is much better than the end, and the middle is okay.

>> No.6808672

>>6808635
I thought it was okay. The bizarre text arrangement got gimmicky real fast. Had he made the actual writing as enigmatic as the house, it would have been better.

>> No.6808680

>>6808647
I thought that's what the orthodox interpretation was. 'sall about madness and slipping through the cracks and whatnot.

>> No.6808735

>>6808680

Navidon's household is supposed to be the perfect family image but then he starts going further and further into Johnny's "house" and cracks begin showing in his relationship with his wife. Eventually he and his wife drift further and further away from that perfect scenario the more Navidon becomes obsessed with exploring Johnny's madness and that's where the cracks begin to form.

>> No.6809093

I don't know what to think about it, on one hand it does seem too gimmicky, and MZD's later work also reflects that, but on the other I enjoy his work regardless of all the tricks.

>> No.6809404
File: 561 KB, 1713x675, mini.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6809618

Gimmick trash.

His next one will be a pick-your-own-path murder mystery with words constructed of macaroni noodles and an attachable VR helmet

>> No.6809713

I couldn't get through it. It started to annoy me early on and about a third of the way through I decided it wasn't going to get any better. I think it may have been good at the time but it didn't wear well.

>> No.6809918

Just the thought of the minotaur gives me literal nightmares, I can't even think about it, just the word creeps me out ffs.

>> No.6809926

It's a lot better than Only Revolutions, but that doesn't say much about it overall I guess.

>> No.6809946

I see this book posted every 2 days on /lit/ is it required for college reading?

>> No.6810790

>>6808663
This

>>6809404
Also this

I got nightmares from the thoughts of the House, which I expected. The whole thing with the imagery though felt like ambiguity for ambiguity's sake.

>> No.6810816

I absolutely loved it. Maybe it's because I'm a fan of things that break the mould (Noise Rock, David Lynch films) but even thought I know it wasn't as good as it thought it was I loved every second of it.

Some parts were legitimately scary and others made me laugh because of the slow realisation I was being fucked with.

In addition to that, I really enjoyed the criticisms of academia (although I didn't pick up on that until the second reading because I've never been involved in post high school studying).

>> No.6811491

>>6810816

> noise rock breaking the mold

Man you couldve said something like RiO movement or Magma or something not completely hacky but no

>> No.6811949

I just finished it actually. I've seen a lot of discussion about it and I've never seen anyone mention that it puts disability at the root of fear. It's one of the biggest themes of the story

>> No.6813199

I dislike Johnny's sections and all of the extra gimmicky things like the faux documentary junk and crazy footnotes, but I enjoy the core story of the house and exploring it and such.

>> No.6813204

>>6809946
It's summer

Or some guy forcing a meme

>> No.6813262

I read it when it first came out. I was still in High school and HOL was probably the most complicated book I had tried to read it. It reminded me of the Blair Witch project in book form. I enjoyed most of it, and re-read it twice over the past years. The last time I read it, I swore it off forever. It's a pretty big book and I felt like I had gotten all I needed out of it. There's some freaky, disturbing shit in that book.

>> No.6813692

>>6808635
>>6808663
This

It was okay, but it peaked like 1/3 of the way in.

>> No.6814049

I refuse to read it at night. I get these really abstract nightmares from it. Like usually I have first person dreams, but these ones are third person and I'm seeing something stalking me, but I don't actually see it, its just out of range, but I know its there.

Only ever happens when I read that fucking book.