[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 147 KB, 452x600, today.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6801323 No.6801323 [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone else read any short stories by W. Somerset Maugham?
Recently read one volume of his collected works and by god they were good. Why is W. Somerset Maugham not discussed here more often?

>> No.6801432

I read The Razor's Edge in high school and loved it. One of my favorite books from school. Never read any of his other stuff but I've been meaning to.

>> No.6801477

>>6801323

There's like 10 feet thick of Maugham books at my uni library. Recommend me something and I'll pick it up and talk all about it this afternoon.

>> No.6801497

>>6801323

There used to be a Maugham tripfag around here. I agree though, I also loved The Razor's Edge and have been meaning to read his other stuff.

>> No.6802247

>>6801477
Ashenden. It's a collection of stories that share a character, sometimes catalogued as a novel. Maugham himself was intentionally ambiguous about the distinction.

Anyway, they are the foundation of the modern espionage genre. As distinguished from Conrad's Secret Agent of 19 years earlier, which deals with terrorism, and where the spy has more of a domestic counter-espionage role.

Ashenden is the titular character, an unlikely spy for the English during WWI. Among Maugham's best. He was also a real spy for the English during WWI.

>> No.6803419

>>6801477
The Moon and Sixpence, loosely inspired by the life of Paul Gaugin and Maugham's own time in the South Pacific it's one of those books that makes you re-evaluate your life

>> No.6803425

>>6801477
Oh Human Bondage.

reminder Maugham was a spy for england during the first world war. nigga worked for mi5 and shit

>> No.6803551

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pain_in_animals