[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 69 KB, 577x960, 1397395336214.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6784757 No.6784757 [Reply] [Original]

Just got a chance to read through Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian, kinda been on my back burner for a while (yes I know it's been out for almost 3 years now), and now that I've read it I have the need to nit pick and critique...

For starters it felt startlingly short..I got through it in less than an afternoon and there were a couple of plot holes that I feel were large enough to sail a carrier task group through.

Spoilers in the next post.

>> No.6784760 [DELETED] 

>>6784757
Spoilers ahead for anyone who's not read it yet.

[Spoiler]
So right off the bat we jump into the hostage situation, and Artemis deduces after a bit of finangling that this is going down on his family's property. Not a problem really, but it is expressly stated that Juliet is on the grounds, and there's 5 minutes between the first shot being fired and Koboi the younger being killed. While I don't know exactly what ends of the estate they're both on I do know that the sound from a gunshot can be heard quite a ways (I live seven miles from a gun range and can hear pistol matches fairly well), while I do understand that she was distracted by the two younger fowl brothers that doesn't excuse the fact that she didn't hear a gunshot on the estate grounds when she is clearly aware as stated later that Artemis has enemies who would likely be willing to destroy the country of ireland just to make sure he's down for the count.

this leads into the second plot hole. Artemis clearly knows that his family is at the estate, he has some of the most advanced gear and surveillance equipment on the planet, he probably knows that Juliet is at the estate... Why in the seven hells didn't he remotely access that the moment he was even remotely aware of the two captors and Koboi the younger being on the estate grounds, contact Juliet and attempt to have her stall or stop the execution? I thought he was the smartest person in the room and it feels like he didn't even consider that option, or even consider calling home to tell them to bunker down.

[/spoiler]

Mmmkay with that out of the way I also felt there were missed opportunities and unanswered questions.

Apparently I went and typed a lot. One more post.

>> No.6784768 [DELETED] 

>>6784757

[Spoiler]So right off the bat we jump into the hostage situation, and Artemis deduces after a bit of finangling that this is going down on his family's property. Not a problem really, but it is expressly stated that Juliet is on the grounds, and there's 5 minutes between the first shot being fired and Koboi the younger being killed. While I don't know exactly what ends of the estate they're both on I do know that the sound from a gunshot can be heard quite a ways (I live seven miles from a gun range and can hear pistol matches fairly well), while I do understand that she was distracted by the two younger fowl brothers that doesn't excuse the fact that she didn't hear a gunshot on the estate grounds when she is clearly aware as stated later that Artemis has enemies who would likely be willing to destroy the country of ireland just to make sure he's down for the count.[/spoiler]

this leads into the second plot hole.

Artemis clearly knows that his family is at the estate, he has some of the most advanced gear and surveillance equipment on the planet, he probably knows that Juliet is at the estate... Why in the seven hells didn't he remotely access that the moment he was even remotely aware of the two captors and Koboi the younger being on the estate grounds, contact Juliet and attempt to have her stall or stop the execution? I thought he was the smartest person in the room and it feels like he didn't even consider that option, or even consider calling home to tell them to bunker down.

Mmmkay with that out of the way I also felt there were missed opportunities and unanswered questions.

Apparently I went and typed a lot. Also I can't into spoilers it seems. One more post.

>> No.6784771

>>6784757

So right off the bat we jump into the hostage situation, and Artemis deduces after a bit of finangling that this is going down on his family's property. Not a problem really, but it is expressly stated that Juliet is on the grounds, and there's 5 minutes between the first shot being fired and Koboi the younger being killed. While I don't know exactly what ends of the estate they're both on I do know that the sound from a gunshot can be heard quite a ways (I live seven miles from a gun range and can hear pistol matches fairly well), while I do understand that she was distracted by the two younger fowl brothers that doesn't excuse the fact that she didn't hear a gunshot on the estate grounds when she is clearly aware as stated later that Artemis has enemies who would likely be willing to destroy the country of ireland just to make sure he's down for the count.

this leads into the second plot hole.

Artemis clearly knows that his family is at the estate, he has some of the most advanced gear and surveillance equipment on the planet, he probably knows that Juliet is at the estate... Why in the seven hells didn't he remotely access that the moment he was even remotely aware of the two captors and Koboi the younger being on the estate grounds, contact Juliet and attempt to have her stall or stop the execution? I thought he was the smartest person in the room and it feels like he didn't even consider that option, or even consider calling home to tell them to bunker down.

Apparently I went and typed a lot. Also I can't into spoilers properly it seems. One more post after this.

>> No.6784774

>>6784771
So.. Nopal. just gonna dive right in there. This seemed to be a huge red herring to me. At about the point Opal the younger was killed I started thinking that Nopal would be used much in the same way that Artemis was resurrected, possibly to catch the soul of Opal the younger or Opal the elder, mind wipe her a few times and launch her back in time to set all the events into motion again....and that would have really been alright with me, considering Opal the younger was a pretty powerful pixie in her own right, and Opal the elder was quite powerful due to being an ascended dark magic enhanced pixie of doom, I would have not been surprised if one or the other had managed to spirit jack their way into the Opal clone that's been hanging around as a massive chekov's gun since book 4.

Though it's fair enough that Opal the elder was caught up in a vortex of souls and some kind of spell aura to make sure everyone goes to fae heaven...

Especially since at the end of the book 6 months later Artemis is brought back through the same technique....don't know why he couldn't have been sparked back to life 6 months prior.. I mean hell Butler's died how many times?

But this raises the question why was it that the human that was dead 6 months able to body jack its clone but the pixie that was dead a bit over 12 hours not able to bodyjack her own clone?

So anyone game for discussing this or is this thread more or less a fart in the wind?

>> No.6784834

so...

this is a kid's book, or what?

>> No.6784859

>>6784757
>>6784771
>>6784774

Is this the greatest bait of all time?

>> No.6784865

>>6784834
In theory, yes.

>>6784859
no, wasn't trying to make bait honestly.

>> No.6784872
File: 95 KB, 500x377, really13.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is this the part where you tell us you've copy-pasted some teenager's unironic review of Artemis Fowl on reddit?

>> No.6784878

>>6784872
Nope. These are my thoughts. Literally read the book yesterday.

>> No.6786345

>>6784859
>>6784872
Dying

>> No.6786371

I love this new Hmongian blog posting site that my little brother Steven just recommended me: 4chan. Come explore with me!
-OPs twitter