[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 52 KB, 400x344, terrycrews_oldspice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
676134 No.676134 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/ fags, what did you major in (and optionally, where)? To make things a little more interesting, why and do you regret it all?

>> No.676136

*at all
whoops

>> No.676144

physics & math

>> No.676158

history/english
kenyon college

>> No.676168

I am a Philosophy major currently at University of wSydney. I am considering dropping out for obvious reasons.

>> No.676178

>>676168
Not that obvious... did you ever have aspirations of writing?

>> No.676206
File: 340 KB, 576x407, brainfulloffuck2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Currently double-majoring in Political Science and Business Admin. Minors in English and Spanish, probably going to get minors in either International Relations or Pre-Law, and Asian Studies.

Working one job right now. Looking for a second to go with it.

I don't sleep nearly enough. Pic related.

>> No.676231

History and Math

>> No.676265

Medical microbiology major and biochemistry minor.
Regret it all because biotechnology is the new factory worker.

Ill have a job but a badly payed one considering the difficulty of my degree and time spent doing it.

>> No.676284

>>676206

Overachiever detected

>> No.676301

Comp sci major with a math minor at UMD.
Its allot of work but I won't regret it if i can find a nice job. My worries right now:
1) I never got an internship so I'm worried that'll kill my job prospects
2) I want to have a decent amount of free time in my life and I'm worried I won't be able to find a job that lets my weekends by my weekends ya know?

>> No.676302

Mathematics at Cambridge University
Senior wrangler, motherfuckers.

>> No.676353

Political Studies. Feels good man.

>> No.676356

psychology and philosophy

or at least, I'll have majored in both by the end of the year, then have to keep studying

>> No.676365

Going to study law next year, don`t know if i will like it or not

>> No.676394 [DELETED] 

No one here is a English major? What the fuck? You fuckers should be starving like I am.

>> No.676397

Philosophy at a Catholic university.

I'm agnostic.

>> No.676399

Physics at the University of British Columbia, feels good man.

>> No.676418

English at Bard College, motherfuckers

>> No.676442

Drama in high school.

When uni came around I decided I had to do something, so I applied to all the drama programs in my town.

Three auditions later I realized it's not what I want and I really don't care anymore.

That and I need a job more.

>> No.676453

goddamn, those old spice commercials are funny as fuck
terry crews is such a funny and awesome guy

>> No.676455

Majored in music.
Currently making a living as a screenplay consultant.

(some people never learn)

>> No.676462
File: 249 KB, 620x775, 1272029671170.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Poli Sci at UNLV. Not going to land you a dream job right away, but people always want to talk to me about it.

What majors do you detest? I can't stand business majors....

Pic related. He is doin' it wrong.

>> No.676466

BSc Economics
MSc Finance

Top 3 EU business school.

>> No.676480

I haven't actually got into uni yet, but I'm planing on double majoring in political science and journalism, english, or communications. All of those would lead me too the same thing, but they don't offer the same double majors at all the schools I'm looking at.

>> No.676481

biochem

highly regret because it's very difficult and it has taken me forever and i still have at least a year and a half. I could have just done business administration or some other bullshit and had a nice cozy desk job somewhere just kicking back in my suit and tie and rolling in the dough while i play minesweeper half the time. I would then drive back to my house in a bmw to fuck my wife who I met while I wasn't studying fukken quantum physics at home like a nerd.

>> No.676484

>>676455
Consult? What exactly can you consult a 20-something neckbeard with a useless music major on?

>> No.676486

>>676481
>biochem
>quantum physics
herp

>> No.676499

History/Anthropology double major with a Philosophy minor.

Took me a long time to figure out what I would be happiest studying. But I am happy now, so I don't regret anything... Yet.

>> No.676505

>>676466
LSE?

>> No.676510

>>676302
Only intelligent person in this thread

>> No.676517

>>676302
Shit man. And I thought my studies were hard.

>> No.676528

Comparative Literature: Cinema Studies, with a minor in Japanese.

I don't regret it, but as I'm working in software testing full-time, I don't get too much of a chance to practice what I learned outside of being that douchebag know-it-all about movies in casual conversation.

>> No.676531

>>676301
Oh snap son! I'm currently Comp. Sci. at UMD with a minor in Astronomy. Declaring English double degree Monday hopefully.

And back on topic, it's my freshman year, so there's not much to regret.

>> No.676548

>>676531

why the minor in astronomy? my roommate was a software engineering major, but he was required to take a course in astronomy he said... what's up with that?

>>676486

yes, quantum physics (or at least at my uni). derp.

>> No.676551

Philosophy/nursing
I don't regret it at all.

>> No.676556

>>676548
Upper level requirements for Comp. Sci. major. Initially I took Astronomy 101 last semester to fill a science requirement everyone has to fill, but ended up deciding to just take it as a minor to fill my upper-level req. And since the only difference between the upper level and the minor is two courses, decided to just shoot for the minor.

>> No.676559

I'm currently doing computer science and physics at the University of Waterloo. At least, that was my plan until recently; I'm now thinking that I might drop the physics double major and just do CS with minors in physics and pure math instead, because the brief encounters I've had with abstract algebra so far have been really interesting.

I love math and logic and computers, so CS was the obvious choice for me, and I certainly don't regret it so far. I'm not entirely sure where it's all going to lead me, but right now I'm thinking I might go to grad school and do quantum computing research.

>> No.676562

Philosophy. Minor in Religious Studies.

I kind of wish I'd picked a different minor, like maybe math. I don't regret my major one iota though.

>> No.676564

I've been accepted to a few universities for both political science and philosophy. Which program should I go to and why?

inb4 HURR DURR philosophy enjoy your useless degree. I genuinely enjoy the course and worst comes to worst philosophy grad's score the highest on the entrance exams for law school

>> No.676571

>>676302
How hard is the workload?

You must be rather mathematically gifted to be there

>> No.676576

>>676564
>apply to
Apologies, I just finished some excessively useless assignment that raped my brain.

>> No.676582

>>676564
Why would I want to be a shitty lawyer?

>> No.676579 [DELETED] 

trolled. highly doubt senior wrangler posts on 4cham.

>> No.676583

Pre-Law/English, 2nd year, University of Toronto.

Meh, school's school.

>> No.676594

>>676564
DOUBLE MAJOR
DO IT FAGGOT

>> No.676595

pharmacy major with a minor in applied statistics

I don't regret it, but I have to study constantly while I watch most people my age dick around. It'll be worth it in the end though

>> No.676603

>>676582
Hmmm, evidently your reading comprehension isn't up to snuff.

>>676594
This is a very attractive option, I was thinking either double major in pol/sci and philosophy or economics and philosophy.

>> No.676611

>>676603
Why not just do PPE?

>> No.676613

>>676603
Ugh. Econ was just too boring for me. Took AP in high school just to walk in to university with more credits, and at least the teacher was awesome enough to keep it interesting.
But still, econ. Never. Again. What's political science like?

>> No.676630

>>676613
No idea, hopefully it's talking about the theoretical and practical construction of governments around the world combined with interesting political ideologies. I just thought economics + philosophy would give me a kick ass job where I would do very little and get paid very well.
>>676611
Care to elaborate? I'm unfamiliar with PPE. unless it's the philosophy of political economics, which was really a stab in the dark

>> No.676632

I was an English major with undeclared minors in History and Anthropology. There's no regrets; I was able to study all the things that I would have been learning even if I'd not been going to school, and I got to do it with some pretty interesting and knowledgeable professors. Occasionally, I got to meet a smart chick here or there. That was good.

>> No.676637

>>676630
Close

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy,_Politics_and_Economics

>> No.676643

>>676637
This sounds exactly like what I would like to take. The only problem is that I'm not intelligent or proactive enough to get into a university with this program offered. Goddamnit I hate how the entire education system is to promote mediocrity and punish both excellence and failure.

>> No.676648
File: 42 KB, 527x625, gotobed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

MBA 2002

Thought it would be a good path to making money.

Learned too late that corporate life is a soul-crushing way to make a living. Have recurring dreams of being in prison.

Should have stuck with the original plan of writing novels and scratching out a living.

>> No.676658

>>676648
Self-publish? Just work on it yourself?

>> No.676659

I doubled majored in physics and chemical engineering.

I somehow feel out of place in /lit/

>> No.676661

English Education with a minor in Math.

No regrets so far, but I'm still in school.

>> No.676664

>>676658

I'm working on it now...have spent nights and weekends writing for the last 2+ years. I have about nine small market short story credits and am currently querying a novel (about a chan-style website, actually) now.

I just wish I had started a decade ago.

>> No.676666

>>676643
Most of it comes down to work ethic, which is up to you

>> No.676692

>>676666
That was my point, it's a shame I have such as shitty one.

>> No.676695

Don't have a degree to my name, but I am however a licensed airline pilot.
why? I like planes.
regrets? yeah, on minimum rest after doing a 9-hour transatlantic sector. other than that, no.

>> No.676713

Political Science with a specialization in Int'l Affairs-

The great Southern Illinois University of Carbondale.

>> No.676723

underage high school frosh, more intelligent and well-read than all my friends. fml.

>> No.676726

Philosophy at Princeton

>> No.676738

Psychology at St Andrews. Don't regret it at all, it was fascinating.

>> No.676744

I'm from Norway, and we operate in Bachelor and Masters degrees here.

Doing a Master in sociology now, haven't decided which supplementary bachelor I'll be going for. Considering history or philosophy.

>> No.676758

Is double majoring as difficult as it sounds?

>> No.676768

undergraduate history major. SF state

>> No.676773

>>676265
>biotechnology is the new factory worker.
Care to elaborate?

>> No.676777

Senior in HS here, tentatively majoring in English. I'm interested in becoming an English teacher.

>> No.676803

history, I regret nothing.

>> No.676849

English and Philosophy double major at the University of Toronto. I do not regret it.

>> No.676866

double major in poly sci and philosophy

I do not regret the majors themselves, but I regret doing nothing in college beyond going to class and doing the basic work needed to get A's and B's, making no contacts, and not giving a single thought to my post-college life until after graduating

that being said, if I went back to college, I have no idea what I'd major in. Maybe not poly sci / phil but I don't know what else.

>> No.676877

Environmental Science
A good English uni.

>> No.676880

Majoring in Anthropology. Unsure about what I want to major in yet.

No regrets. I love it.

>> No.676887

>>676880
Oops.
>minor in

>> No.676888

english with polisci minor, do kind of regret that I probably won't have a job, do not regret reading all the time and going to grad school for cheap

>> No.676905

Comparative Lit. & Philosophy dual major at the shithole that is Cal State Long Beach. Hopefully transferring out in a year.

>> No.677039

I majored in Cognitive Neuroscience with a minor in writing. I don't regret my field of study, but I very much regret the university that I'm going to (Eastern Connecticut State University). It's a place with absolutely no enthusiasm for education on any level, where the students would rather drink shitty beer than learn, and the administrators would rather pad their wallets than teach.

>> No.677062

I'm majoring in Comp Sci at a SUNY school in the Fall

>> No.677076

English. no regret, the best 5 years of my life.