[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 29 KB, 260x401, orlando.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6752467 No.6752467 [Reply] [Original]

why can't i get into this, lit? i normally love Woolf, have read about 7 of her novels and essays and all that. i intend to (one day) read and acquire all of her works.
i just want to know the general approach i should take upon reading this, and maybe if any fellow Woolf lover had this same experience.

>> No.6753675

What's the problem with it?
Did she write it in a different style or something?

>> No.6753678

i found it to be her easiest work

>> No.6753701
File: 132 KB, 640x960, SDGSDG.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

someone say something

that will make me pick To the Lighthouse as my next book.

beside the fact that i have the Everymans Library binding of it

>> No.6753707

I love how Nabokov shat all over this book
Wasn't as bad as he made it out to be, though.

The work itself is a romance, written in a slightly old fashioned style. It does feel a bit lifeless in my opinion. The base concept of the work is actually quite interesting, but I don't think Woolf quite pulled it off. It's certainly not one of her best works.

>> No.6753970
File: 102 KB, 1234x1024, cvcvcv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

reviving this thread for Virginia.

>> No.6754261

>>6752467
The movie was lame.

>> No.6754298

woolf is so fucking boring. what's esp. pathetic to me is her creepy reverence of women & hatred of men (at least what's expressed in to the lighthouse, where the mommy is some kind of household god and the daddy is an dusty robotic daddy long-legs). like that's just sad. you fucking are a woman. you can't just indirectly praise your kind 1 dimensionally for 200 pages, c'mon.

Also her fucking writing style gives me a headache. It's fucking wishy washy. Ooh now I'm talking about this now I'm talking about this what room am I in now I just keep going from mind to mind like a hopping schizophrenic ghost isn't this progressive pleasant and modern?

Fuck off

>> No.6754601

>>6754298
Weak bait

>> No.6754625

I found it her most accessible work. The first part of the story is especially nice, when Orlando is still a man.

With the other works I've read by her, I could read twenty pages at a time, max. Then I'd have to put it away for a bit - though I did enjoy reading it. But Orlando was just a page turner.

If you're used to Woolf, it could be that this book is in a slightly different style. It's a lot more simple and direct. I don't know, maybe you just don't like it. It's not mandatory to like everything.

>> No.6754632

i love woolf and found this one more of a struggle than normal too. it's not as 'beautiful' as her other books and i simply didn't find it as pleasurable to read. it was pretty funny though when i got into it

>> No.6754645

>>6754261
You must be lame.
I loved the movie.