[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 95 KB, 386x600, Ironmanwithtophat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
674751 No.674751 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, I am talking at my graduation and I have about 3 minutes to talk. I want to fill one of those minutes with a quote or something of the sort for that minute.

Thanks, love you.

>> No.674758

Nickle back song

>> No.674764

>>674758
Fuck that, make it memorable. Cannibal Corpse or Carcass song.

>> No.674767

Tell everyone they just lost the game

>> No.674769

"This is how you remind me of what I really am."

>> No.674772

"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for the sake of mine."

>> No.674774

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

>> No.674782

Thanks for everything so far bros

>> No.674786

I WISH KNEW HOW TO QUIT YOU.

>> No.674798

"The written history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle".

>> No.674823

Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it's because they sat there that they were able to do it

>> No.674832

Aaron the Moor's soliloquy

>> No.674839

By stating the narrowness of the limits of action, is one denying the role of the individual in history? I think not. One may only have the choice between striking two or three blows: the question arises: will one be able to strike them at all? To strike them effectively? To do so in the knowledge that only this range of choices is open to one? I would conclude with the paradox that the true man of action is he who can measure most nearly the constraints upon him, who chooses to remain within them and even to take advantage of the weight of the inevitable, exerting his own pressure in the same direction. All efforts against the prevailing tide of history -- which is not always obvious -- are doomed to failure... So when I think of the individual, I am always inclined to see him imprisoned within a destiny in which he himself has little hand, fixed in a landscape in which the infinite perspectives of the long term stretch into the distance both behind him and before. In the historical analysis ... the long run always wins in the end.

>> No.674903

>>674823
But that's that true at all...

>> No.674907

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

>> No.674931

just read the phonebook

>> No.674934

>>674903

get the context man

>> No.674936

Churchill quotes. Always Churchill quotes. He has quotes for every occaision.

>> No.674941

>>674772
/a/non?

>> No.674967

>>674936
Madam, I may be drunk, but you are ugly. And at least I will be sober in the morning.

>> No.675204

Anything form William Arthur Ward, he is one quotable mofo

>> No.675230

Winston Churchill once said: "I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Just remember, that even though some of you may pride yourselfs on being something: you'll never be more than a pig.

>> No.675259

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education"

What kind of graduation is it? Remind everyone that most of them will have to work shitty jobs unrelated to their studies.

>> No.675281

"Darling, you had an arse full of farts that night, and I fucked them out of you."

>> No.675288

>Never mind your happiness; do your duty.

To soon?

>> No.675294

It is because of speech that men give the illusion of being free. By speaking, they deceive themselves, as they deceive others: because they say what they are going to do, who could suspect they are not masters of their actions?

e.m. cioran

>> No.675295

"If friction creates heat, how fast would you have to fuck a pail of water to make it boil?"
-Albert Einstein, in conversation with his grade eight science teacher

>> No.675301

>>674751
Hedda loves me
This I know
Because the bathroom wall
Tells me so!

>> No.675302

If our fellow men could be aware of our opinions about them, love, friendship, and devotion would be forever erased from the dictionaries; and if we had the courage to confront the doubts we timidly conceive about ourselves, none of us would utter an 'I' without shame.

e.m. cioran

>> No.675360

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

>> No.675365

"Dude, where's my car?"
- Ashton Kutcher

>> No.675378

Most of the quotes in this thread are retarded, who let /b/ in here?

My suggestions:

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool.
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.
To reach out is to risk involvement,
To expose feelings is to risk exposing your true self.
To place your ideas and
dreams before a crowd is to risk their loss.
To love is to risk not being loved in return,
To live is to risk dying,
To hope is to risk despair,
To try is to risk failure.
But risks must be taken because
the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The person who risks nothing, does nothing,
has nothing, is nothing.

– William Arthur Ward

Following the same line of thinking, the great man Teddy Roosevelt said:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Both would be very inspiring for a group of graduates heading out into the world.

>> No.675394

>>675378
really? how you could stand up and read that trite little poem to another person and keep a straight face?

>> No.675426

Read some Mark Twain quotes.

>> No.675435

Tell everyone that you couldnt come up with anything to say for 2 minutes. All that you are as a person is a collection of things you think other people will like. You have no idea who you really are since all your energy goes into projecting an image of someone you think will fit in and be cool. Then blow your brains out on stage.

>> No.675449

>>675378
no, i'm serious. i dare you to read that to another person, in all seriousness, expecting them to take it seriously, and not laugh.

>> No.675451

True terror is waking up and realizing your high school class now runs the country." -Kurt Vonnegut
not sure about the exact phrasing of this one so you should probably look it up.

>> No.675455

"I suck dicks"
-OP

>> No.675860

"They talk about the end of the world, the bombs and all, or if not the bombs then about the oceans dying, and the fish, but have you ever looked at the ocean? I used to worry, I did, but now I say to myself -- so what. So what if the world ends? My sister, though, she's just the other way -- if there's an election she has to stay up and watch it. Or earthquakes. Anything. But what's the use?

"The end of the world. Let me tell you about the end of the world. It happened fifty years ago. Or maybe a hundred. And since then it's been lovely. I mean it. Nobody tries to bother you. You can relax. You know what? I *like* the end of the world."

-- Thomas M. Disch, from *334*