[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 49 KB, 470x300, space.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
674736 No.674736 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /lit/,

What's a great book about the universe/space and time/astrophysics/astronomy/quantum physics and stuff like that?

I've always been fascinated by this kind of stuff and I need something to read on the train. Any suggestions for a recent book on the above subjects?

>> No.674811

bumpers

>> No.674812

You can't go wrong with these two books by Richard Feynman:

QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter

Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher

>> No.674833

Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy

>> No.674893

>>674812
Thanks

>>674833
I was looking for, you know, non-fiction...

>> No.674915

If you're looking for non-fiction, I have nothing. in the way of fiction, however, Alastair Reynolds describes a lot of the technology in his universe. There's a lot of astrophysics and shit like that.

>> No.674923

Cosmos by Carl Sagan

A Brief History of Time and The Universe in a Nutshell by Steven Hawking

>> No.674935

>>>/sci/948020

>> No.674948

The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Kapra is a fascinating read, explains a lot about both eastern philosophy/religion and quantum physics while linking the two together. Not exactly what you're looking for, but thought I'd suggest it.
Also, In Search of Schroedinger's Cat is good at putting a lot of physics into layperson's language.
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.
Faster Than The Speed of Light is fascinating and almost a non-fiction novel than a book, story of a theoretical physicist and his new pet hypothesis, plenty of physics info in there.
So that's 4 books just off the top of my head. It's a fascinating subject and my dad has a Master's in it so I could always ask him as well. There's a shitload of layperson books about String Theory as well but that's not a very... how to put it... empirically established? field of particle physics.

>> No.674953

The Quantum Ten.
Talks mainly about The Manhatten Project and the scientists involved.

>>674923
>The Universe in a Nutshell
Dem illustrations...

>> No.674971

>>674923
Cosmos. Then drop acid. Then Cosmos again.

Also the dvds arge fantastic. OH WAIT /lit/!

>> No.674975

>>674923

This. Definetly!

>> No.676105

>>674736

the elegant universe

superstrings and other things