[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 178 KB, 809x987, john_green_by_jdraco723-d4mmh99.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6709305 No.6709305[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

To lose a brother is to lose someone with whom you can share the experience of growing old, who is supposed to bring you a sister-in-law and nieces and nephews, creatures who people the tree of your life and give it new branches. To lose your father is to lose the one whose guidance and help you seek, who supports you like a tree trunk supports its branches. To lose your mother, well, that is like losing the sun above you. It is like losing--I'm sorry, I would rather not go on.

>> No.6709317

too bad my family are a bunch of plebs who probably hate me but would never let it be known for fear of disturbing the peace

>> No.6709320

>>6709305
To lose your buttocks is to lose your ability to wiggle your buttocks, to shake it or clap with it.

>> No.6709321

>>6709305

Honestly I don't speak my brother that often - rather weird childhood and not so much in common other than taking the piss on each other. As for my dad - he is my financial and supportive guideline, always there for me (even in the midst of the night). For my mom, well I love her unconditionally but her alcoholism has definitely brought devastation upon the family's dynamics. Since I've moved out I don't get to see them that often but when we do, we mostly go out to dinner and discuss some family related stuff. Honestly I hate being this distant but at least familiar relations tend to get much worse, and my relation, although not close, is unconditional and stable - losing one of them would mean hell to me but I'm having hard time showing these emotions to them.

>> No.6709337

>>6709321
OP here.

Cool story, bro. Tell it again. Please. I'm dying to hear it.

>> No.6709339

>>6709337

Honestly I don't speak my brother that often - rather weird childhood and not so much in common other than taking the piss on each other. As for my dad - he is my financial and supportive guideline, always there for me (even in the midst of the night). For my mom, well I love her unconditionally but her alcoholism has definitely brought devastation upon the family's dynamics. Since I've moved out I don't get to see them that often but when we do, we mostly go out to dinner and discuss some family related stuff. Honestly I hate being this distant but at least familiar relations tend to get much worse, and my relation, although not close, is unconditional and stable - losing one of them would mean hell to me but I'm having hard time showing these emotions to them.

>> No.6709340

>>6709321
How's it like having Daddy be there for you in the middle of the night? Do you guys still do the "silly-cuddle" if Mum's asleep?

>> No.6709343

>>6709340

lol

>> No.6709374

>>6709337
>Tell it again.

>>>/reddit/

>> No.6709376

Brother

My older brother is the better one. The one who wins. We’re both boys but father loves him more. Always has. I don’t blame him. My older brother did well in school. He’s an athlete. He taught me to play sports, and I have a bit of an athletic flare myself, but he’s a miracle in every game, on court or ice or field. He taught me to shoot from the foul line. Throw a football, all the rest. Father taught him and then he in turn taught me but father must have been the better teacher. Father taught him mathematics too. I was fine at mathematics, I never struggled or anything, I got through the equations. But father showed him the tricks the teachers never showed to the rest of us.
So I started collecting cards. Learning everything I could about the players. Teams, stats, trades, the lot. Had a green binder with the cards all organized. My brother knew some of the players and teams of course, and father knew some more, but I gained a little bit of an edge there. My own little corner of the court. But after they realized I knew a thing or two about the boys on the TV, they soon forgot, or claimed to forget, what little they had known about professional sports teams and players, and even stopped watching sports altogether.
“Why watch football, let’s just go toss one around,” father would say, and he would take my brother out to the field with the old pigskin, and I’d follow along behind them.
We slept in the same room, my brother and I, bunkbeds and stuff. I used to have dreams about him but those quit. That was years ago, of course. We were both young. Things change, people grow up, forget about it all. He left his clothes all over too, dirty underwear and that, so I was glad to get my own space. And I was glad to move away too, after school ended, but I miss those nights still.
I miss those times. Things were certainly easier. Like sitting down at a family meal. At least in our old situation, if the silence were broken it was because someone had something they really wanted to say. Now we get together, it’s loud everyone talkes but it’s like when you run into the old pals from highschool. Talk without saying anything. Live that close for half a lifetime and all anyone can talk about now is the price of corn and how the nephews are doing, make a joke or two. Can’t talk feelings, and thoughts turn people out quick. Fine.

>> No.6709378

Still have the football he caught for the win. That was a show. Bleachers stacked on bleachers and a full house. The big lights up and glaring where everyone can see everything so if someone trips up it’s not just when you two are alone in the dark it’s in front of the whole crowd and everyone can see and they all understand and you can talk about it afterward. Anyways, I won’t bore you with it but his team was losing and he caught the ball and slipped past the defense and into the endzone. While they were celebrating I snuck out onto the field and stole the ball so I could keep it with my paraphenalia, because I had a couple of photos of him in the binder in his football gear and at the foul line and getting silver for the butterfly stroke but I though the ball would make a nice addition. And he hardly payed attention to his old jerseys from the years before, so he didn’t notice when those disappeared from the closet.
It’s all at my new place. Every day I just think about burning it or something, getting rid of all of it, moving away, farther away, just working on myself, thinking about my own things, becoming my own person. Maybe Australia. A lot of young guys do that. Take up surfing, have a few too many drinks now and again. I just feel a bit off here, and sometimes you feel like that feeling of offness is just a cloud that hovers around the place you’re in, the location, but I worry that the feeling would follow me like the smell used to and if I moved to Australia and still felt it there, well, then I would know I couldn’t run from it. At least if I stay here there will always be the possibility of running from it, the possibility of something better elsewhere.
I live a bit of a drive from the old house. Two new families have lived in it since us, but I still drive back there at night sometimes and just sit on the rock under the apple tree and look up at our old window upstairs. Or I go to the field where he and father and I would toss the football or even to his old highschool and I climb up on the roof and lay down up there and look at the stars. I like night because you can’t see what’s coming or whoever’s touching you, it could be anyone so there’s no reason to fuss about it in the morning. And I like to walk along the street and to look into the house windows. You can imagine anyone in them and it’s dark enough that your imagination can’t be disconfirmed. I looked in our old window one time, a few years ago, and I imagined the bunkbeds were still there and the rest. I imagined he was still in there, and I was watching over him while he slept.

>> No.6709400

>>6709340
>>

This one's for you, Daddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM7-PYtXtJM

>> No.6709404

He rapes his sister, Phoebe

>> No.6709411
File: 40 KB, 563x406, 08c8964cd4fd63550f52840f7649c5fa240b03b3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Shits on Aristotle whenever he can
>Nothing but praise for Thomas Aquinas

...?

>> No.6709426

>>6709411
Why are you here

>> No.6709430

>>6709305
I murdered my brother over rent.

>> No.6709432

>>6709430
DVD edition?

>> No.6709441

>>6709404
False
>>6709400
Kek

>> No.6709559

i'm not sure if it's for the worse or for the better, but i lost my dad at a fairly young age thus i wasn't able to truly form an appropriate image of him has a human, but he always stayed the superhero dad for me in a sense
i'm not sure if it's worse to know that you never truly have known your dad, or to lose him later on

>> No.6709606
File: 132 KB, 795x510, Jesus01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6709305
>disses aristotle
>praises aquinas

???

>> No.6709611

>>6709305
Did John Green really write this gibberish?

>> No.6709630

>>6709611
it's a quote by Yann Martel