[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 45 KB, 656x400, 7..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6688521 No.6688521 [Reply] [Original]

how do you guys read?
do you read straightforward? with pauses? re-read certain sections, chapters? make pauses to research about certain historical/cultural subjects?

>> No.6688536

I typically go at my own pace but try to get at least 20 pages in a day. I don't use bookmarks so I usually read from what looks familiar and end up rereading a couple pages but Im fine with that because I find it easier to get back into that way. I usually look up those historical things after Im done reading whenever Im on the computer.

>> No.6688546

>>6688536
>I don't use bookmarks so I usually read from what looks familiar and end up rereading a couple page

thats very interesting, guess ill try that and see how it goes

>> No.6688551

Straightforward, with occasional pauses to translate passages if need be (Dostoyevsky uses a lot of French).
Although with essays/articles I usually read backwards, starting from the last paragraph and going paragraph-by-paragraph to the start.

>> No.6688631
File: 669 KB, 2230x1351, 5OOstb2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6688521
I read 50-60 pages per day, divided in half or so, depends on how well I'm feeling. So I usually read 20 pages by the morning, 30 by the afternoon during weekends. I use bookmarks because they help me not get lost(as if that could happen), I always reread the last page where I stopped. I try to stay as far away from the computer as possible so I don't get distracted.

Bookmarks are also really useful when the notes are located at the end of the chapter, I recommend using one solely for that reason. Read everything you don't get one more time at least since it can be important depending on the book.

>> No.6688658

Generally straightforward. Sometimes I reread sections if I didn't absorb it or I lose concentration and day dream.

Page length depends on how much I get in to it. I read 131 pages of the road today and now I headache, so it was probably too much.

Out of curiosty, how do you all read short story collections? Do you just power through one after the other?

>> No.6688714

>>6688658
no, i rather read one, make a pause of 5-10 minutes, then go to next

>> No.6688723

>>6688521
I read chapter by chapter, making sure I never stop in between, which is pretty difficult when I'm doing long chapter reads. But I think it helps because authors put those as places to stop.

>> No.6688750

>>6688723
I do the same. I find it helps me read more than I normally would because I don't stop in the middle of a chapter and always end reading the one after

>> No.6688792

>>6688521
My theory is to grasp the particular idea as well as I can on the fly until I feel something like guilt (light usage of the word) for not being able to explain the authors position on the (hopefully bookmarked) idea when I realize he makes use of it more than once at a later point. This is aimed more at stem and philo stuff of course. When I do this without bookmarks it gets annoying really quick. I really need to keep more bookmarks or whatever else. Maybe I should switch to pdfs.

>> No.6688877
File: 651 KB, 2240x1344, 20150613_154327.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I read and look up things as they interest me, maybr stopping to read n article on it, masturbate, think, walk in my backyard or check 4chan