[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 425 KB, 459x696, kafka_the_complete_stories.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6681592 No.6681592 [Reply] [Original]

what does /lit/ think about Kafka?

I started reading this because somone posted one of his short stories (the sudden walk) here a while back and it hooked me. I love the style in which he writes, I can almost relate in some wierd way with some of his stories and ideas.
>favorite long story?
>favorite short story?
>favorite quote?

>> No.6681596

I love his wicked sense of humour

>> No.6681645

The Castle is my favorite work of his.

Though please steer clear of leveling down Kafka into a writer of the individual in the bourgeois existential sense.

Read Walter Benjamin's essay on him.

>> No.6681681

>>6681645
>a writer of the individual in the bourgeois existential sense.
how do you mean?
I'll check out that essay though, thanks

>> No.6681691

>>6681592
>favorite long story?
The Castle
>favorite short story?
The Burrow
>favorite quote?
"I can’t think of any greater happiness than to be with you all the time, without interruption, endlessly, even though I feel that here in this world there’s no undisturbed place for our love, neither in the village nor anywhere else; and I dream of a grave, deep and narrow, where we could clasp each other in our arms as with iron bars, and I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more." The Castle

>> No.6681721

>>6681681
I'm talking about people who read the Metamorphosis and can only think to identify and in the process simplify the story into a simple reflection of their own sadness or angst.

>> No.6681776

>>6681721
oh I see. It does have themes on isolation and guilt/ shame so I can see where that comes from.

I found it more appealing the intoduction to the story where gregor has to get out of bed and the thought processes behind him wanting to just lie there. It was humorous. I guess in a broad sence it speaks of everyone. I guess what I ment about relating was with plot development on some of his stories. like in The Judgement where the dad flips shit and says he should drown, so the kid runs outside and just jumps off the bridge, things like that ya know

>> No.6681799

The burrow is so fucking underrated, do not miss it