[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 300x365, 111.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6672079 No.6672079 [Reply] [Original]

Anons, please tell me how classical and medieval thinkers reasoned that God is what we all search for? I've heard people saying art's values from from expressing the inexpressibility of God, that in our daily life we find solace in God. Much of this goes without talking or assume the idea of "Heaven". What is this that people seek that they call God? Why call it God?

This and "Grace" I never really understood.

>> No.6672095

>>>/x/

>> No.6672101

>>6672095
Shitposts still bump

>> No.6672116
File: 231 KB, 678x678, 1432421755111-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6672079

Humans need love and God is love; so only Christianity provides reconciliation and gives purpose to history and this world.

>> No.6672125

>>6672101
yes, unfortunately, low-quality threads can still be bumped to the front page
however, the sage function provides us with a way around this massive administrative oversight

>> No.6672128

>>6672125
Sage no longer works

>> No.6672135

>>6672116
That is literally utter nonsense though.

>> No.6672138

>>6672128
Why would you just go on 4chan and tell lies

>> No.6672140

>>6672128
It doesn't appear in the post, but it still works

>> No.6672150

>>6672135
STOP OPPRESSING ME ATHEIST SCUM
These DISGUSTING micro-aggressions are ruining my life!

>> No.6672872

>>6672079

What fulfils a human being is what allows a human being to be "most human." Now since God is the first cause (in the sense of sustaining origin) of all things, what human beings ultimately are, consists in being ordered in a certain way towards God. Since desire in intellectual beings is a function of the intellect and will, the right order of intellectual beings like us towards God is one where God is fixed as the affirmed object of the will- that is, the object of love. It is the proper love of God, then, which rightly orders all other aspects of human existence, hence it is the source and completion of all other rightly human loves and desires. This is why attaining the object of love- by knowing and loving God, that human beings are ultimately fulfilled.

Now, the love of God is not complete unless human beings also have the kind of life in which they are able to love God. Since God's mode of existence is eternal, the love of which humans are in themselves capable, being temporary and corruptible, is not sufficient for the task of loving God. Considered only in our own power, then, humans are helpless to supply what would best fulfil them.

What is needed is action from God, beyond the human power to bring about, i.e., grace, to supply the conditions necessary for human beings to properly enjoy God, as everlasting creatures, and hence achieve their right ordering towards him.

This side of eternal life, all we are capable of is small glimpses of God in the points at which we touch the transcendent. God, as the metaphysical ultimate, is being itself, hence we can find God in truth. The experience of beauty, being the experience of the beautiful object in its own intrinsic intelligibility- in the perfection of its form- is also one of these glimpses, since the light of the intelligible itself is just that of the divine being, the ultimate reason or principle by which things are what they are.

>> No.6672892

>>6672150
it's interesting how you're creating an association here between christianity and sjwism

they do seem faggy along similar dimensions now that I think on it.

>> No.6672926

>>6672892

In the content of their beliefs Christians are everything the SJWs hate though. The extent of the similarity seems to be that both are passionately ideological.

>> No.6672927

>>6672872
I've has homeless schizos speak to me with coherency and sense than this jumble of fucking words, taken completely out of context, and then fixed to dance like a marionette wishing they were a real boy.

>> No.6672959

>>6672927
It's hard to calibrate for the ignorance of the modern pleb.