[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 331 KB, 720x457, WARNING WARNING IDEOLOGY HAS BREACHED CONTAINMENT WARNING WARNING.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6665518 No.6665518 [Reply] [Original]

What's the best place to start with Zizek? Which books should I read first?

I've watched some of his lectures & Interviews, as well as the Pervert's Guide to Ideology, but I feel the that a basic understanding of his philosophy (i.e. what exactly Ideology is, how it's proliferated in modern times, etc.) still escapes me.

>> No.6665526

You should first understand Hegel (and what's humanly possible of Lacan) which means starting with the Greeks.

>> No.6665584

You have to get into philosophy. Start with the Greeks. You must know the cause for everything he says. There is no other way to understand him or any other philosopher influenced by something. You can probably understand some of his lectures if you watch for long enough, but if you want to be able to truly understand it you should know quite a bit of philosophy.
If you start with Hegel you have to definitely understand the Greeks and everyone after them. Hegel is quite hard to understand even with this knowledge so yeah. You can't skip. Actually, you can skip but then you'll be confused and probably won't understand shit. (Like more than a half of this board)

>> No.6665594

The Sublime Object of Ideology

>> No.6665598

>>6665594
No. Start with the guide to philosophy. Start with the Greeks.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

>> No.6665601

>>6665584
>>6665526
>start with the greeks
I don't suppose that a having taken high-school philosophy course is an acceptable substitute?

>> No.6665610
File: 1.08 MB, 2158x1252, Lit Zizek Guide.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>Start with The Sublime Object of Ideology. It's kind of a survey of his views. The thing about reading Zizek is that most of his works are heavily based on Hegel and Lacan, so if you haven't had at least a some exposure to them, you may not get too much out of his books. See the /lit/ philosophy guide if you want to go head-first into it, but if you just want a layman's understanding, I'd recommend:

(optional) German Idealism Reader --> Hegel Reader --> Lacan/Intro to Psychoanalysis Reader --> Sublime Object

>> No.6665616

>>6665518
I wager there's an embedded file in that image.

>> No.6665620

Just pick any random book and read it. His whole career he's just been repeating the same arguments over and over again.

>> No.6665624

>>6665601
I really highly suggest you read the actual books. I also had some education on philosophy in high school. It wasn't the level of understanding I wanted because it clarified absolutely nothing. It was like: "This guy did this and that. This is briefly how it works." So yeah.

>> No.6665639

>>6665518
Cocaine

>> No.6665653

I started with First as tragedy and then as farse and i found it pretty good, it's like a essay-book so it's easily digestible

>> No.6665654

>Do I need to read everyone and everything on this list?

It is your decision on what to read, but there are philosophers that you will need to read regardless if you like them or not to understand Western philosophy (like Kant). As you develop certain philosophical interests you will find out what you want to read. For example I developed an interest in Philosophy of Music and thus I will read Philosophy of Music. - Guide

Don't be scared off by the amount of books. It's not that bad to read.