[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 10 KB, 241x313, hume.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6641521 No.6641521 [Reply] [Original]

ITT we make fun of Hume for removing final causes / reflexology from reality and concluding that you cannot derive an 'ought' from an 'is'.

Me: David, what's wrong with your car, it only has three wheels.

David: I don't see the problem.

Me: What? A car ought to have four wheels (at least this car ought, as it is clearly designed as a standard four-wheeled vehicle) as the final end of a car is transportation, which end is frustrated if one of its wheels are missing.

David: haha, no my friend, surely you are not saying that one can derive an 'ought' from an 'is'.

(I slap David on the head)

David: you ought not to have done that!

Me: only because the final end of humanity is happiness and the pain you are experiencing is frustrating the attainment of that end, David.

>> No.6641525

>reflexology
damn I hate auto-correct
teleology*

>> No.6641619

>>6641521
>Ought I agree with David Hume?
>Yes you ough....should!

Checkmate Scotman.

>> No.6641672

Sounds like Hume rekt you and yr just mad, m8. Maybe check some Aristotle or Kant and then you can give a proper response

>> No.6641749

durr i also think that what we should do must always follow from what we can say because i'm a retard

>> No.6641758

>>6641672
You must be really pathetic to get rekt in hypothetical situations you daydream about. Maybe you should go see a therapist OP?

>> No.6641762

>>6641521
That's deriving oughts from other oughts. Jesus, man, at least put some effort into your strawman; I've seen better ones from young earth creationists debunking evolution.

>> No.6641794

>>6641521

>we make fun of Hume for removing final causes

You can't "remove" something that is fictional.

>> No.6641952

>>6641794
>causes
>You can't "remove" something that is fictional.

Yeah, but final causes are not fictional.

>> No.6641957 [DELETED] 
File: 85 KB, 1206x994, 1517157.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6641952
Yes they are :^)

>> No.6641967

>>6641957
>>6641952
This is what every /lit/ debate boils down to

>> No.6642018

OP, if something only has meaning / purpose insofar as we specify some given end, then it is just an 'Is' statement in the form of, "Doing X leads to Y". There's nothing normative or interesting in that.

>> No.6642021

>>6641952

>Yeah, but final causes are not fictional.

Yes they are.
Causes are objective, final causes aren't, therefore they aren't causes.

>> No.6642026
File: 15 KB, 480x387, what the fuck bro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6641957
>someone drew this picture

>> No.6642032

>>6642021
>>Causes are objective,
to whom ?

>> No.6642047

>>6642032

>to whom ?

Objective things aren't objective to someone. They're objective, you're thinking about subjective things.

You know, those things that are the literal opposite of what I said?

>> No.6642063

>>6642018
>OP, if something only has meaning / purpose insofar as we specify some given end, then it is just an 'Is' statement in the form of, "Doing X leads to Y". There's nothing normative or interesting in that.

Man does not "give" meaning to things. Things have meaning by their very nature. That a car ought to have four wheels is not a meaning that we have given to the car, it comes from the very nature, the intelligible form, of the car that it should facilitate transportation, and therefore have four wheels (or some other mechanism that facilitates its movement).

When I say that a man ought to be able to see, that is not something that I've given to the man, but a part of the nature of man which involves the power of sight.
When I look at a plant with shrivelled leaves and dying roots, and say that it ought to have healthy leaves and flourishing roots, that is not my giving meaning to the plant, it is part of the very nature of the plant to have healthy leaves and flourishing roots.

>> No.6642066

>>6642026
You can't prove that this picture didn't just evolve from a preceding set of pictures due to environmental pressures, tbh.

>> No.6642067

>>6642063

>Things have meaning by their very nature.

You literally believe in spooks

>> No.6642072

>>6642067
Intelligible forms are not spooks they are the very object of our intellect. Intelligible forms are to our intellect what light is to our eyes and sound is to our ears. What you are essentially saying is that we should blind the eye of our intellect and become as the beasts.

>> No.6642073

>>6642021
why are causes objetcive

>> No.6642083

>>6642021
Final causes are objective, though. Can't have causes of any kind without final causality, really.

>> No.6642087

>>6642063
If the car has four wheels, it will be able to drive. If you say that the car 'ought' to have four wheels, you're assuming that it 'ought' to drive. There always needs to be some 'in order to..' otherwise the 'ought' is just an empty demand.

>> No.6642097

Final causes exist, but only inside your brain.

>> No.6642108
File: 13 KB, 259x194, piss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6642032
more like TO HUME

>> No.6642115

>>6642087
> If you say that the car 'ought' to have four wheels, you're assuming that it 'ought' to drive.

That a car ought to drive is not an assumption. To say that a car ought to drive is practically a tautology, it's pretty much to say, "the car ought to be a car".

>There always needs to be some 'in order to..'

The object of "in order to" is the final cause, the ultimate cause of its existence.

>>6642097
This is just one step from saying that all causes are in your brain.

>> No.6642131

>>6642115
>"the car ought to be a car".

If it's part of a car's nature to have four wheels, then you'd be saying, "This three wheeled object ought to become a car", or "This car ought to *remain* a car."

>> No.6642136

>>6642115
>This is just one step from saying that all causes are in your brain.
That's a slippery slope argument.

>> No.6642386

>>6641525
Autocorrect just gave you a nietzschean bitchslap. The final cause is already a manifestation of something else, like a sympthom. There is no ought, there is only 'is'. You cannot derive is from ought because there are only contingent 'is'-es manifesting themselves as oughts.

>> No.6642390

>>6641521
hume was so fucking fat

>> No.6642402
File: 224 KB, 358x310, kek.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP getting absolutely dismantled ITT

>> No.6642442

>>6642063

>Classic case of "muh forms"

How do you feel in light of evolution?

>> No.6642564
File: 75 KB, 350x350, tobias hume.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I thought this would be about Tobias Hume, now I'm sad.

>> No.6642575
File: 174 KB, 416x396, YHl7f2k.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>muh teleology

>> No.6642650

>>6642442
Evolution requires change, which requires Forms, so I guess he'd be feeling pretty good.

>> No.6642986

>>6642564

I know right? I just got here. Disappointed as fuck.

>> No.6643160

>>6642026
This picture drew itself.

>> No.6643172
File: 3 KB, 94x125, 1421087046657s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6642063
>Things have meaning by their very nature

>> No.6644266

>>6642650
>change requires Forms

Pure ideology. What makes you think a matter-form dualism that implies passive unchangeable matter still stands?

>> No.6644283
File: 337 KB, 500x636, 1422317147648.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Final causes

>> No.6644298

>>6641521
>Me: What? A car ought to have four wheels (at least this car ought, as it is clearly designed as a standard four-wheeled vehicle) as the final end of a car is transportation, which end is frustrated if one of its wheels are missing.

I see no reason why this particular car has the final end of transportation.

>> No.6644320

>>6644266
>pure ideology

Matter is of its very nature mutable, so I'm not sure what you mean by "unchangeable matter."

I think hylomorphism is true because I think that there are multiple things in the world, which entails that there is some shared principle in virtue of which they are all things (the universal, or the form, which makes each what it is), and some individuating principle in virtue of which each is itself and not another. Change is also impossible to understand apart from hylomorphism, since it presupposes difference between what-it-is-to-be the beginning and the end of a change (hence distinct forms), and also a substrate of potentiality-for-change which receives new form (matter).

>> No.6644884

>>6644320
I'm no expert, but I think there is a different way to interpret things.

Matter is not mutable if there are no Forms involved in the model you described, unless I'm mistaken.

>Universal (or Form) + Individuating principle = Individual

If we go the opposite route and assume that the individuals' interactions create universals, we would assume that Matter is the one generating Form. The distinction between Forms that can change into one another (or just one way obviously) gets blurred once you attempt to introduce accidents to distinguish one version of a form (due to the individuation principle) from another version and yet again those from the distinct different Form that it changes into.

Sorry if I'm not being clear about it, basically I don't understand how hylomorphism accounts for biological evolution without vague concepts. There are leaps from one constituted (and thriving) species to another, but the individual conditions that allow such leaps may not be equally present in all the individuals of a species. So one weird solution for instance is to consider a new species as only existing when only one individual (mutant) exists of it. But that's already very close to pluralism and away from hylomorphism.

>> No.6647127

>>6644884

>Matter is not mutable if there are no Forms involved in the model you described, unless I'm mistaken.

There's no such thing as matter considered apart from Form, since to have a nature at all is to have a Form of some kind. Matter is thus only what it is in relation to Form. Whatever concept you have of matter apart from Form probably isn't intelligible when you look closely at it (as Berkeley found).

Without matter and Form you get Parmenidean Being, indivisible and unchangeable, which is basically to toss out the possibility of empiricism and knowledge altogether and to subscribe to a weird kind of pantheism.

>If we go the opposite route and assume that the individuals' interactions create universals, we would assume that Matter is the one generating Form

To have such things as "individuals" in the first place, as I said earlier, presupposes Form. The "bare individual," that is, the individual considered apart from all nature, is indistinguishable from nothing, hence couldn't act. So I don't think the opposite route is viable.

>I don't understand how hylomorphism accounts for biological evolution without vague concepts

There's nothing presenting Forms from having empirically fuzzy boundaries. Form is the actuality to the potency of matter, so can be realised to varying degrees in matter, and a low degree of one Form may appear to be a high degree of another. I'm not sure what about this is inconsistent with biological evolution.

>> No.6647133

>>6644283
Jesus, good thing my speakers weren't plugged in.

>> No.6647190

>>6642021
You can't observe causes, what you observe is spacio-temporal proximity and regularity between events. You infer the cause.

>> No.6647201

>>6642564
He removed final causes too? What a coincidence!

>> No.6647206
File: 28 KB, 552x360, whatdoingman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6647133
w-what?

>> No.6647252

>>6647190
Nah, man, those are abstractions from the actual event which is the object of experience (I've never observed "spatio-temporal proximity" itself, but I have observed billiard balls knocking into one another). You observe the cause itself, then abstract out things like spatio-temporal proximity and regularity as accidental features of such, and it's reifying those abstractions which is Hume's big trick.

>> No.6647258

>>6647252
>You observe the cause itself
Different anon here, what does causation look like?

>> No.6647280

>>6647258

Doesn't look like anything in particular- considered solely in itself it's just an abstraction. What I said was that you observe the cause itself- i.e., the thing doing the causing. We derive causation as an abstraction from observing the cause, but causation as it exists in concrete causes isn't an abstraction.

You can usually tell the causal relationships at work when you understand a phenomenon and its components- the whole event and its parts, upon which it is dependent. The trick is to isolate the phenomenon from others and from accidents of time and place enough to get a clear look at it, which is what we do when we set up experiments with repeated trials and controls.

>> No.6647290

>>6647280
>What I said was that you observe the cause itself- i.e., the thing doing the causing.
Hume doesn't even contest that, though. Your whole critique is uninformed and pointless.

>> No.6647305

>>6647290

Hume mistakes causation for mere temporal and local proximity. Pretty sure that means that Hume thinks you don't observe causes, in the sense of ontological dependence, when I was contending that you in fact do observe things ontologically depending on each other.

>> No.6647310

>>6647305
>Hume mistakes causation for mere temporal and local proximity
No he says we interpret proximity as causation, when we in fact have no certainty of this.
>you in fact do observe things ontologically depending on each other
And now tell me, how exactly do you tell such dependency from a coincidence, other than by induction, i.e. without certainty?

>> No.6647326

>>6647310
>No he says we interpret proximity as causation, when we in fact have no certainty of this.

Pretty sure he said that what we think is an idea of causation is actually dressed-up proximity. He doesn't think we actually have an idea of ontological dependence at all (though this renders his avowed support of an inaccessible Nature somewhat puzzling).

>And now tell me, how exactly do you tell such dependency from a coincidence, other than by induction, i.e. without certainty?

There's nothing wrong with induction- repeated experience is how we identify the phenomenon as isolated from accidents, and hence perceive its parts, i.e., causes. Insofar as a phenomenon can be identified at all, then, at least some of its causes can be known. Naturally, this doesn't give us certainty, but certainty isn't necessary to know something- what's necessary is actual union with the reality of the thing, via experience.

>> No.6647346

>>6647326
>There's nothing wrong with induction
Said the proverbial turkey on the morning of thanksgiving, assured by inductive reasoning that no one would do him harm.
Inductive reasoning is absolutely necessary, but it by always involves assumptions of things we do not actually know. Hume's point is that this is happening in each and every indentification of cause and effect. You haven't provided a single argument against this.
>but certainty isn't necessary to know something
You fucking wot m8?
>what's necessary is actual union with the reality of the thing
Which you can't be certain of. So, you assume a cause, and you assume this assumption to be in union with reality. Two assumptions do not make a knowledge.

>> No.6647370

>>6647346
>There's nothing wrong with induction
he is right that There's nothing wrong with induction, as long as we take the principle of induction for what it is (and every science relying on it to provide a few causal descriptions of the phenomenon). Many people forget this and are shocked when they find a new experience were the old models no longer statisfy their expectations, whereas people should be shocked by th euse of the induction.

>> No.6647375

>>6647346
>Said the proverbial turkey on the morning of thanksgiving, assured by inductive reasoning that no one would do him harm

Who said induction gives infallible predictive knowledge? That's the Humean conflation of causation with proximity talking, which makes induction about predicting future temporal proximity. Induction lets us know some of the causes of things, but obviously since no one knows all the causes of all things, and this can be useful if one knows the most common configurations of cause and effect for the purposes of one's prediction. Obviously, one cannot make predictions about the future with 100% confidence, but given that one is correct about a given state of affairs, and one's belief has come about by a mechanism that unifies an observer with reality in that particular case, it's hard to see how the belief is not both warranted and true, hence knowledge.

>Which you can't be certain of.

Don't see why you're so hung up on certainty. Certainty is a subjective attitude we take toward our beliefs, some of which may be knowledge. What knowledge is, is a matter of whether one is objectively unified to reality in one's belief. One can have knowledge one is not terribly certain of, and one can be terribly certain of a belief that happens not to be knowledge. One can bring one's subjective certainty in line with the degree of one's knowledge by collecting observations and refining methods, of course, which is probably ideal.

Just because we can't be completely certain of our beliefs, doesn't mean that we can't have knowledge. It simply doesn't follow from the fact that we don't have subjective certainty that we can't have objective union with reality. It's simply a claim to which one is not and cannot be entitled that all beliefs without foundation in other beliefs are not knowledge.

>> No.6647378

>>6647375

Ack, messed up first paragraph. Should read,

"Who said induction gives infallible predictive knowledge? That's the Humean conflation of causation with proximity talking, which makes induction about predicting future temporal proximity. Induction lets us know some of the causes of things, and this can be useful if one knows the most common configurations of cause and effect for the purposes of one's prediction. Obviously, since no one knows all the causes of things, one cannot make predictions about the future with 100% confidence, but given that one is correct about a given state of affairs, and one's belief has come about by a mechanism that unifies an observer with reality in that particular case, it's hard to see how the belief is not both warranted and true, hence knowledge.

>> No.6647379

>>6647375
Kek, this is basically sophistry.

>> No.6647381

>>6647375
>What knowledge is, is a matter of whether one is objectively unified to reality in one's belief
And how are you ever justified in believing this to be the case?

>> No.6647385

Requesting the Hume copypasta

>> No.6647389

>>6647378

More clarification. By "Who said induction gives infallible predictive knowledge?" I don't mean that Hume thinks induction gives certain knowledge. What I meant to say was, "Who says that induction, in order to give us knowledge, must give us infallible predictive knowledge?"

I should proofread.

>> No.6647396

>>6647379

Nah, Humeanism in general is the sophistry. Aristotelianism is the light.

>> No.6647410

>>6647396
You would be laughed out of any philosophy department with that phrase.

>> No.6647413
File: 90 KB, 1280x720, [HorribleSubs] Nisekoi S2 - 09 [720p].mkv_snapshot_16.00_[2015.06.06_01.09.42].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6644283
Been a while since I was tricked into one of these, thanks.

>> No.6647415

>>6647206
>he doesn't get audio on gifs

>> No.6647424

>>6647410
Eh, not from my experience.

>> No.6647449
File: 320 KB, 1162x1600, 1433371857783.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sounds like Hume rekt you and your just mad, mate.

At first you felt challenged, then you started feeling your delusional mania, I bet it took awhile before the dopamine rush started making you "creative", and then ASFSGSFADSAG you shitposted, otherwise your reply to Hume would be serious.

Am I right?
*tips rice samurai fedora*