[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 12 KB, 200x316, VALIS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6628669 No.6628669 [Reply] [Original]

I read this book a couple of years ago, and I've never read anything quite like it, before or since. I'm wondering if anyone here has read through it.

The effect this book had on me was very unique, I'm not sure if it was coincidental or if the writing actually influenced my thought patterns. I felt very, mentally unsound during the duration of this book, in a very real way. I was experiencing a series of physical events in life that made reality appear very unrealistic, and I'm wondering if it has something to do with this book. PKD is nuts as fuck after all.

>> No.6628715

>>6628669
Crazy you say? Go to YouTube and listen to the interviews. He was just plugged in

>> No.6628758

you need to read him chronologically - its like a realtime tracker of the mental development / deterioration (depending on viewpoint). And that really makes you stop and think - was PDK insane, or is the reader?

>> No.6629711
File: 179 KB, 500x281, papurika2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6628669 I didn't like VALIS as much as his other books. It was unorganized and felt like the mindfrying trips I had earlier. It's like writing down crazy stuff while having one of those trips instead of having it bring effect onto oneself and then (at least in terms of the writing style) soberly weaving a story out of it (like he did in his other works as in "Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch" or "Ubik"uitous).
Here's an older post on it: >>/lit/thread/S5414729#p5418556
Anyway I would be interested in what those events where...