[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 40 KB, 573x399, model_released_environmental_awareness_group_of_friends_lying_down_in_a_circle_w.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6618837 No.6618837 [Reply] [Original]

How can we revive journalism?

>> No.6618849

Have you ever heard of native advertisement?

This is the golden era of journalism.

>> No.6618858

Journalism is shit, I hope it dies.

>> No.6618872

Declaration of principles.

>> No.6618875

It killed itself

>> No.6618876

>>6618858
What dont you like about it?
>>6618849
Not really

>> No.6618877

>>6618837
was journalism ever good for a society

>> No.6618888

>>6618876
>What dont you like about it?
I dislike things that make me feel bad that I am powerless and/or unwilling to change.

>> No.6618889

>>6618837
Isn't journalism stronger than ever? People are writing whatever shit comes into their head on every subject imaginable

>> No.6618894

>>6618837
Journalism today is in the hands of postmodernist a who makes shitty click bait articles about white privilege

>> No.6618907

>>6618889
No, because of this >>6618894
>>6618888
That makes sense, at least a little
>>6618877
I would say so. The author documents and investigates, and the reader learns a considerable amount, especially when the journalist is entertaining and can write well. Although most people will do nothing with the information learned, like the anon above said, it at least widens their perspective.

>> No.6618918

>>6618889
Never been so little fact checking in mainstream media, and non-mainstream media are just a more rabid version of their bigger clickbait cousins.
Investigate? This is the era of canned statements and hasty copy-paste.
When a target is defenseless more and more journalists in the West outright make things up because they benefit from legal immunity.
Politician friends: nothing new, but there isn't any less of it.

>> No.6618927

You ever visit longform.org, OP? Some pretty good stuff on there.

>> No.6618939
File: 9 KB, 232x351, Walter_Duranty.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>journalism
>ever good

"No one's starving."

>> No.6618953

>>6618927
I haven't, will check it out

>> No.6618983

>>6618939
Implying he wasn't right and the holodomor wasn't cold war propaganda

>> No.6619001

What's the use of journalism?

>> No.6619003

>>6619001
To inform, preserve, and describe. What a silly question.

>> No.6619010
File: 46 KB, 339x398, Schopenhauer.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Newspapers are the second hand of history. This hand, however, is usually not only of inferior metal to the other hands, it also seldom works properly.

>> No.6619026

Shut down sites like Huffpo, Slate, and Salon, and shoot them in the back of the head like the Francoists did to Lorca.
Shut down all tabloids and systematically send all the contributors to gulags.

>> No.6619032

>>6619010
Newspapers do not constitute all of Journalism. Check mate.
>>6619026
True.

>> No.6619327

Professional reporter here(lel)

1. The whole 'golden age of journalism' thing is a myth. It was always flawed in most of the same ways it is now and it used to be much worse in other ways.

2. Good journalism is really difficult and there aren't many people who want to read it or pay someone to write it

3. The most obvious flaws with journalism are problems inherent in the way people perceive reality, and the way institutions work to preserve their own power There is no obvious way around it.

4. The people who bitch the most about 'the mainstream media' are generally the least informed about what is in the news and how the news gets reported

5. The western 'objective journalism' model is probably the best one available, but is also clearly flawed beyond repair in multiple ways

6. A story that steps on anyone's toes will (almost always) require access from someone(s) with an axe to grind and/or nothing to lose

7. The collapse of the print business model means the work is being done by less experienced reporters for less money. They are less able to put events in proper context and less able to avoid getting played by sources.

8. The collapse of the print business model has shifted the remaining jobs online and towards the coasts. The death of local coverage, where institutions are less sophisticated and have the biggest immediate impact on the lives of average people, means the news is less relevant to people's lives

10. Less relevant news to report means more clickbait trash and generalized coverage done by reporters who conduct interviews over e-mail and aren't members of the communities whose stories they are trying to tell

11. More and more of the stories you get told are written by and about the NYC/Washington/San Fran/LA communities where national journos live, or by the few remaining quality big city papers sprinkled throughout the country.

12. Most peoples solution to these problems are some form of
>just cut corners and fudge stories about important issues in a way that reflects your understanding of the deeper truth in a way that traditional reporting can never capture.
Most people who try this are too obviously full of shit and/or don't write well enough to take over the job novelists have been doing for hundreds of years.

That being said, the piece of reporting that stuck with me the most recently was the Sy Hersh OBL piece which was almost totally sourced anonymously and widely condemned by the mainstream 'objective' press, yet it left me feeling that the story was probably 80% true, but it will never be really 'proven' and I will never know exactly which 80% he was right about. Of course Hersch is a good writer with real credibility earned over a half century of work. For every one of him there are a million clowns making a fool out of themselves.

>> No.6619359

>>6618927

Thank you also.