[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 330x435, House_of_leaves.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6580281 No.6580281 [Reply] [Original]

What does /lit/ think of this?

>> No.6580289

one of the worst books ever to be associated with good books

>> No.6580324

Oh, what gives it the title of worst book associated with good books?

>> No.6580589

It wasn't terrible, it was a fun read. The story was cliche, but I liked how some of the shenanigans danielewski pulled you into the narrative.

It did drag on for a while though.

>> No.6580608

>>6580589
this. a few chapters were really a drag to read. like the second chapter that is just ten pages of wikipedia-style droning on echoes and greek mythology.
it had a great atmosphere and could really drag me in when it let me. the end was lacklustre as hell, but HoL is more about the journey than the destination.
overall, worth a read.

>> No.6580622

This is the only book I stopped reading only ten pages before the end. I hate my friend for bugging me everyday about reading this shit.

>> No.6580637

>>6580281
It was a good introduction to academic style writing and analysis when I was in 9th grade. After reading it I went from being a mediocre C student in my English classes to the teacher's pet, getting 100% on everything.

If I read it now I probably wouldn't like it too much, but it has its moments.

>> No.6580657

A mediocre zettels traum

>> No.6580672

unique enough to read but nothing to write home about

>tfw your window is minimized and the captcha food box keeps jumping to different points of the screen making it hard to figure out if what I am looking at is Ice Cream or Potatoes.

>> No.6580967

>>6580281
Well I can't speak for /lit/ but I think it's real neat!

>> No.6581189

>>6580281
It's a good horror story, better than most. The stuff he did with typography was fun and I thought it added something to the story, or at the very least made it unique. It just became a problem after this book, when Danielewski decided to rely on being the gimmick of being the guy who does goofy things with layout.

It's a good transition book for an older teenager looking to branch out for YA and into some more advanced stuff. it's not much beyond that.

>> No.6581215

>>6580281
gimmick shit