[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.75 MB, 3200x1800, life is an open book.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6577629 No.6577629 [Reply] [Original]

Is the pursuit of happiness something that is worth as a driving decision maker in life? Is it overrated? Any works that you recommend on the subject?

>> No.6577640

Happiness is a myth. Its just a side effect of feeling calm

>> No.6578489

Happiness is real and worthy of pursuit. I used to be miserably unhappy. I thought my life was shit, so it was. Experience has given me serenity after a miserable youth. I finally realized I could be my own rudder in life. I pursue happiness daily. I give up anything that makes me unhappy. I enjoy my simple, uncomplicated life. Don't worry about stuff you can't control. Don't worry about the little things. Before you get into an argument or cry yourself to sleep or want to runaway/die/scream/commit murder, ask yourself; will this matter tomorrow? Next week? Next year? Ask yourself: is there anything I can do about this? If the answer is no- then let it go. Stop brooding. Brooding is pointless and will make you sick. Your life is absolutely what you make it. Don't allow others to control you. I am always so amazed by people my age(40s) who haven't figured this out yet, but unfortunately many of my friends are still grappling with depression and/or don't really know what the meaning of their life is. I wish I could express this better. It's a process, not a switch you can throw. I consider it my life's purpose to be happy. There is nothing selfish about it, because happiness breeds happiness. So go for it.

>> No.6579216

>>6578489
Thank you. I like how you described happiness as taking control of your life. I also like how you said this was a process rather than what (American) society or just most western society see happiness as an instantaneous thing that does not last long.

>> No.6579389

You are a physical manifestation of your thoughts. As the poster earlier said, if something makes you unhappy then remove it from your life. I will never understand people that hate their jobs, family, living conditions etc. But still continue to live with it with no intention of actually removing them.

Think like a pleb, be a pleb. Think like an alpha and you'll be a fucking alpha

>> No.6579406
File: 63 KB, 600x600, 1430050896042.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6577629
>Happiness
the lack of fear and worries
which stems from your attachment to many things, material or not

>> No.6579409

Philosophy separated itself from science when it posed the question: what kind of knowledge of the world and life is it through which man can live happiest? This took place in the Socratic schools: by having in view the objective of happiness one applied a ligature to the arteries of scientific research - and does so still today.

>> No.6579420

As Thoreau cornily said:

>Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder.

You sort of have to learn to forget to be happy, at least I do. Too consciously striving for it seems to backfire by increasing self-conciousness to the agree that it negatively affects enjoyment.

I like Epicurus for example, but his advice works better for me when I don't really think about it a lot.

>> No.6579427

>>6578489
>is there anything I can do about this? If the answer is no- then let it go.

This stoic "acceptance of fate" principle allows for too much backwards weaselling out of responsibility for those things you could have changed if you only cared more about them to see more potential outcomes from your input. It's one tier below rap lyrics, by which I mean It's simple and exactly what you want to hear, everything that will make you happy just happens to exist in your lifetime as you wanted it. This principal says with a straight face that you certainly are not responsible to self-improve to a point where you have increased your responsibility to a level where you care for every human that does or ever will exist.

>>6577640 is right, happiness should only be held as high as bi-product status.

>> No.6579428
File: 6 KB, 446x304, sine_wave.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6577640
>Happiness is a myth.

It's not a myth, it's just a phase in a cycle. Think of a simple sine wave. Philosophers and hacks alike have attempted to isolate the peak of the wave and place it above reality as an ideal. But its nature is movement, in order to be a zenith it requires a nadir.

>> No.6579450

>>6579428
what do you imagine yourself to be doing in this post?

>> No.6579559

>>6579450
Kill yourself.

>> No.6579582

>>6579450
>what do you imagine yourself to be doing in this post?

Fucking your mother.