[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 86 KB, 350x532, Mistborn-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6562864 No.6562864 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/ never disappointed me with its blunt (sometimes rude) opinions and criticism, so I'll ask.

I've got the Mistborn series after a few people recommended it intensely.
I've also heard the dialogue is pretty fedoric and the author tries to make everyone look smart and cool and interesting.
I AM going to read it regardless, but how soon depends entirely on what /lit/ says about it.

So, can someone do me a very quick review? Is it overall shit? Good? Should I go out of my way to read the trilogy?

>> No.6563008

The first book is good the next 2 are shit.

>> No.6563045

I'm almost finished listening to the first trilogy on audiobook. It's fun. Sanderson is known for making interesting magic systems, and truly the metal shit is neat, but I also give him props for frequently doing the unexpected.

Granted, I don't really read a lot of fantasy but he seems to have a knack of keeping the story/plot from becoming too straightforward. My problem with him is that the main character, Vin, is basically God from the beginning. After a while it becomes painfully obvious that no matter what happens to this chick, she's gonna overcome. A bit of deus ex machina, but it's actually kind of explained in the story so it's not that bad, but yeah.

Also his prose flat out sucks at times. It's serviceable mostly, but especially in the first two books, I can't remember how many times someone smirked or rolled their eyes or some other retarded, useless bullshit.

The series is fun enough, don't expect too much.

>> No.6563144

>>6563045
>I can't remember how many times someone smirked or rolled their eyes or some other retarded, useless bullshit.

Word.
OP here. I'm on page 29 and I'm already tired of "raised his eyebrow".
I'm caught by the setting, however. I will definitely continue reading.

Thanks for the short review.

>> No.6563427

>>6562864
i enjoyed the series, and i enjoy brandon sanderson. if you have the time i suggest reading them. they're fun

>> No.6564244

>>6563144
I'm the guy you replied to, I just finished the trilogy at work tonight. I hold my opinion. It was fun. I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of how it ended, felt a little...underwhelming? Cheesy? I dunno, but overall it's good.

I just started The Alloy of Law, and I can already tell I'm going to enjoy allomancy in the wild west, probably even more than the original setting as long as Sanderson doesn't get bogged down in noble house bullshit.

Keep in mind that I'm listening to these at work, so they go by a lot quicker.

>> No.6564886

>>6562864
It is shit. Its a poor man's Golden Compass, so if you like half-baked children's books, and you're okay with a poor copy of one of those half-baked children's books, then you'll love Mistborn.