[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 43 KB, 916x389, romeo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6536558 No.6536558 [Reply] [Original]

The worst part about reading and discussing literature in high school as a class was how everybody, including the teacher, would spend the majority of the discussion talking about how unrealistic this part was, or how it all could have been avoided if that had happened, or why that character didn't do this instead of that, etc etc. It felt pointless talking about all of that when you could instead look at how it was written, discuss why the author made it this way, or look for recurring themes.

>> No.6536571

>>6536558
it could be worse, in my class, the token asian stem autist who got perfect scores on his SATs would always complain about reading "literature" every day, and said borges was crap and just read history if you want to know history when we were discussing 100 years of solitude. he often refused to participate in class and just read harry potter and steven king all the time.

>> No.6536583

>>6536571
I don't know who was worse, the group that tried to criticize every little thing they found unrealistic in plays we read or the group that would complain about reading.

>> No.6536864

What kind of school did you guys go to. In mine people actually participated, not everyone 100% of the time but if they had something to say, they said it

>> No.6536916

I'm remembering back to high school thinking about the actual school work we did on the text, and the most analytical work we had to do is making plot summaries and filling out character sheets where we only need to write one sentence motivations. I've complained on here before that they made us do dioramas and make comics of the story in a fucking AP English class, nothing that requires deep reading of any kind. I have no idea what was up in my school other than the teachers and the students were both stupid.

We did have a cool teacher in Grade 12 who gave rigorous talks about the themes and symbolism and diction of the books, and I loved it, but by then all the other students didn't know what was happening and just complained, "You're reading too deep into this! The curtains are fucking blue!"

>> No.6536976

>>6536558
happened this morning
>in design class
>autist student chatting with other autist loudly
>"I just couldn't get into grapes of wrath it was just depressing and then, plot twist, got more depressing"
>"You know what book I also hated was Old Man and the Sea. He just complains about his hand the whole time haha it was shitty"
>across the room this guy who's a decade older than the rest of the class yells
>"IT'S A METAPHOR FOR THE FUTILITY OF LIFE"

The guy was so stunned he was amazed that people around him actually take literature seriously. He had no idea.

>> No.6537010

>>6536976
how depressing
good thing all of us on /lit/ take literature seriously, right?

>> No.6537036

>>6536558
What kind of plebeian school did you go to, OP?
Admittedly I was privately educated but I can't see how state teachers would get the job if they were that pleb

>> No.6537078

>that one fucking autist who always have to go on a tangent about some irrelevant bullshit in a chapter and completely misses the point of the scene

Every single fucking time.

>> No.6537286

>>6537036
It was a pretty good school for STEM stuff but the English and humanities courses were shite.

>> No.6538264

bump

>> No.6538316
File: 44 KB, 488x410, 1429735598276.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6536864
Homeschool

>> No.6538331

>the kids who would brag before the instructor came in about how quickly they were able to skim the Sparknotes and how soon before class
>the kids whose only comment about the book was that "it let them see events going on in their head like a movie"
>the kids who stopped reading a book because the protagonist wasn't as likable as they wished
>the kids who complained in class about the vocabulary being used and refused to look up the words in a dictionary
A good 90% of all the kids I've ever shared an English class with should be deported to camps

>> No.6538342

>>6536558
Never happened in my class. The worst part was probably that only a couple of classmates used to read things we had to while the rest
>only read summaries on the internet
>watched movie adaptations(some people did this with Master&Margarita, can you believe this?)
>asked others for the summary or details
>havent even bothered doing anything