[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 152 KB, 299x506, malazan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6507885 No.6507885 [Reply] [Original]

Hey Lit,
Trying to decide whether to start the Malazan Book of the Fallen series or the Book of the New Sun series first.
Malazan series by Steven Erikson is pretty legendary and I have heard it is hard to get in to but one of the most rewarding series to finish in fantasy.
Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolf is perhaps less well known but seems equally interesting. It is in the dying earth/sci-fi/fantasy type genre and I have seen it compared to Dark Souls type of atmosphere in literature.

So anyone have some personal reviews and maybe suggestions on which one is better? I would like to hear how Lit feels about both of the series.
Also fantasy recommendation thread.
>inb4 how have you not read Malazan yet pleb

>> No.6507949

self bump

>> No.6507967

Malazan is literally a tabletop RPG write-up. Plebs call it "complex" because there are lots of elements and they're not explained to you right away, but it's not a puzzle for the reader to figure out, just something they have to wait and be slowly fed.
Also too long and not of much interest past the first couple books.

But if you're a typical heroic-fantasy reader and want more of that, you won't like New Sun at all.

>> No.6508125

>>6507885
If you want to read Warhammer that isn't as rich in lore but is 3 times as long.
If you liked Borges, Silmarillion, Proust or Joyce and want a complex painting of Catholicism and Wolfe's views on sin and redemption and the everpresent original sin read Book of the New Sun.