[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 31 KB, 316x480, c20017.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
649693 No.649693 [Reply] [Original]

So I'm halfway through reading the Black Company series, and I think they are fantastic. What does /lit/ think of them? Also how are his other books?

>> No.649709
File: 169 KB, 450x684, bookssouth.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

First trilogy is great (duh, check the name). The rest are still enjoyable to read but no-way near the same tight writing (some of it gets pretty stupid).

As for what else Cook has written... I've got some of the Dread Empire books and they seem like prototype Black Company novels.

>> No.649748

does someone have an electronic format and if so willing to share it please?

>> No.649752

All the Black Company Books are amazing. some people don't like the later ones because the annalist changes hands several times throughout the series. They all have different styles of writing, philosophies and some of the annalists are not very likable. occasionally one annalist will comment on anothers work and give another point of view on a subject and in one case one calls out another and calls him a shit writer (I'm paraphrasing)

>> No.649757

I thought that said Glenn Beck and Cook Company

>> No.649758

I picked up the Books of the South. Read em without knowing about the precursor. Liked em a lot.

>> No.649760

>>649752
Of course these are all reasons I love the series

>> No.651222

the first three chronicles of the black company (in the omnibus you have pictured) are by far the best. I love them and I'm not going to spoil it but i believe that it was one of the best endings to a fantasy novel that i've read in a long time.

The rest of the series is still very good, but in my opinion not as awesome as the first three. Definitely worth a read though.

>> No.651850

> Also how are his other books?
Great. I've read some sixteen books of his and my experience is that almost anything you pick up by him has been quality. The only book I wasn't completely sold on was the first Dread Empire book. There were some characters there I really didn't like, which soured an otherwise fine book.