[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.06 MB, 768x574, 111111DC.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6473993 No.6473993 [Reply] [Original]

Need help for those who've read some of these, and have an opinion.

1.) http://dox.utdallas.edu/syl36070 - Dante
2.) http://dox.utdallas.edu/syl11234 - Western Tradition

The thing about the Dante course, however, is the guy is a better professor - by far. And it's an a once-in-a-life-time opportunity to study Dante rigorously.

However, the other course just has more diversity. And still has a little Dante.

>> No.6474005

Take the Dante one

>> No.6474011

Be great if the opinion was more than, "Take this one." But thanks for responding!

>> No.6474020

>>6474011
I'd wanna learn a lot about a little more than a little about a lot.

>> No.6474042

>>6473993
Take the western tradition and also buy the books in the dante course. That way you'll get two versions of The Inferno, plus the full Dante experience, plus Confessions and some Plato.

>> No.6474048

I've already taken an entire class on Plato, though.

So I'm definitely Plato'd out.

Never read the confessions, though.

>> No.6474091

Bump.

>> No.6474093

Personally I'd go with the Dante, but that's because I've taken surveys similar to the other one (at the 2nd year level though) and I'm at the point where I prefer in-depth to broad coverage.

That said, broad coverage can be really handy, in ways you sometimes find surprising. The reason I want to recommend Dante is because I've studied him for a course before, and one of the most interesting things about him is how he was formed in the crucible of the birth of the Italian vernacular, and how his writing subsequently contributed to that crucible. But the other course looks like it discusses that major theme as well, in a sense. On top of that, interacting with more authors and traditions is always a good thing in general.

Have you considered taking one and just attending the lectures and doing the readings of the other? I did that with a bunch of shit in undergrad when I had conflicts and wanted to do both.

>> No.6474107

To me, great professors make all the difference, and the in-depth knowledge you get on Dante will probably be harder to get than survey knowledge on the Western Tradition.
I would definitely go for the Dante course.

>> No.6474245
File: 301 KB, 650x827, Chibi_Dante_by_Nko_ennekappao.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

DANTE
A
N
T
E

>> No.6474248

>>6473993
Dante.

Western Tradition will probably just skim over a bunch of shit and you'll end up with some stupid little packaged take-away idea that the prof is trying to shill in his new book.

But then the Dante course might make you hate Dante and never want to read him again. Depends on the professor and how much of it will feel like forced homework instead autistic auto-didacticism.

>> No.6474271

>>6473993
I can't actually see the syllabus for either so it's hard to say without knowing what they're asking you to read in Western Tradition versus what secondary reading there is in Dante.

If you're looking for a good online class on Dante there's one on Yale's open courses by Giuseppe Mazzotta and now an accompanying book by him called Reading Dante.