[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 255 KB, 566x848, 1576_question-mark.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
647072 No.647072 [Reply] [Original]

Hi guys, i need your help.

I've been writing short stories for quite some time as a hobby now and i feel like it's time to move on to something a little bigger.

I have a rough outline of the story in mind, but i'm having so much difficulty with details, i cannot start writing.

To give you an idea about the story;

- The story will start in France.
- It'll be some kind of a medieval road trip.
- The protagonist is a teen farmer boy, travelling eastwards all the way to Asia in search of his one love.

The story will be about a boy maturing into a man with new experiences in every corner of his adventure and of course, love.

The main problem i'm having is, i have never traveled out of my country, so i'm having difficulty deciding where in France to start my story and which geographical route to follow throughout it.

I have a few more questions about it, but i have no idea if anyone would be willing to help, so i'll just leave this here to see if anyone's interested.

>> No.647080

>>647068
w H Y a r E Y o U s T E A l I n g C o N T e n T C H R i s t o P h E R p o o L e ? h T t P : / / 8 8 . 8 0 . 2 1 . 1 2 /

>> No.647084

You have two options:
1) Follow a pretty good rule of writing which is, "stick with what you know." Narratives that go well outside of your own experience are at best difficult, at worst downright impossible. You're going to have to force a lot of shit and you run the risk of being ungenuine (something a writer has a hard time pinpointing within their own works) or totally forced because you're using--
2) shit-tons of research. Constantly collect data and organize it as it relates to the narrative.

>> No.647088

>and of course, love
oh, I hating.
also
> a teen farmer boy
never would have happened, remember this is the feudal era

but I`d suggest going through the riviera, prehaps he is taking part in the ill-fated childrens crusade, or something

>> No.647106

Thanks for the replies guys.

>>647084
Unfortunately, as i said before, "What i know" is pretty much nothing when it comes to Europe. My general knowledge is above average, but when writing, it's not much of a use.

I know i should do tons of research and i sincerely wish i had the chance to visit those places before writing about them, but i neither have the finances, nor the time for that.

Any suggestions about sources on research?

>>647088
I know love is a huge cliche, but i see this "story" as a transition, so my expectances are not that high on originality.

About the route, i was thinking of Silk Road.